• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your HOT recipes using flour tortillas

Saffy

I have a wonderful big pile of flour tortillas sitting in my fridge at the moment and I am tired of making the same ole same ole with them. Usually burritos with chicken and quesdillas ( not sure I have spelt that correctly ) I would love to hear folks fav ways of using their flour tortillas. Definately no instant packet seasoning stuff... all from scratch please :)

Buñuelos -

Cut into strips or triangles (about the size of tortilla chips). Deep fry. Dust with sugar and cinnamon, or drizzle with syrup.

~~~~~~

EDIT: Just re-read the post - you asked for "favorite ways of using flour tortillas."

Well.... I make pretty darn good salsa, and my "favorite way" of using flour tortillas is just to grate some good-quality cheese into them, fold them once, to make a half-moon, zap in MW til cheese melts, then pour over some of your good, cold, home-made salsa.

If you don't make your own salsa, or are not in the mood, buy Herdez brand salsas. For red sauce, buy the Salsa Casera in the jars. Their salsa verde (with tomatillos) is fabulous and you can use it for chilaquiles as well as omlets, burritos, quesadillas, etc. It comes in small cans as well as jars. Of course, store-bought isn't as good as good homemade, but it's better than crappy homemade, and Herdez is BY FAR the best commercially-prepared salsa I've tried.

As it says on the label, Herdez is the biggest-selling brand in Mexico, and it's darn tasty.

So that's really my "favorite" way to eat flour tortillas and I go through a lot of tortillas, cheese, and salsa that way.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

..... "favorite way" of using flour tortillas is just to grate some good-quality cheese into them, fold them  once, to make a half-moon, zap in MW til cheese melts, then pour over some of your good, cold, home-made salsa.

Thank you, Jaymes. God, I love easy.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

..... "favorite way" of using flour tortillas is just to grate some good-quality cheese into them, fold them  once, to make a half-moon, zap in MW til cheese melts, then pour over some of your good, cold, home-made salsa.

Thank you, Jaymes. God, I love easy.

You're welcome, BB.

I also love easy.

In fact, upon reviewing my post, I realize I said "grate" the cheese. I don't, of course. WAAAAAAYYYY too much trouble.

I just slice up a few hunks and lay 'em out.

To get really fancy, I serve some avocado slices alongside.

If I've got company, I garnish with some sour cream and a few cilantro sprigs.

Easy all the way!!!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

btw, Jaymes recipe for salsa is my absolute favorite (and best results of any salsa I've ever tried to make). It's very easy, but if you try it, you must follow the directions exactly as given for best results.

I've made about 6 batches of it so far. You guys should PM her for the recipe. :rolleyes:

Sunday night dinner...

left over shrimp, chicken, beef strips, fish, chiles, a little youghurt, cheese, etc folded inside a tortilla. Cook on the grill for 2 minutes per side.

If I'm in a complex mood, use an 8 inch skillet, otherwise naked.

Eat.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Sunday night dinner...

left over shrimp, chicken, beef strips, fish, chiles, a little youghurt, cheese, etc folded inside a tortilla. Cook on the grill for 2 minutes per side.

If I'm in a complex mood, use an 8 inch skillet, otherwise naked.

Eat.

Excellent thought, RP.

In fact, reminds me to add that my Mex friends use flour tortillas like Norteamericanos use slices of bread... as sandwiches.

When I order steak at restaurants and don't eat it all, the next day I slice it up thinly, smear a little refried beans on the tortilla, then the steak, then salsa. Perfectly fine as is.

Ditto chicken.... RF beans (if you have them) chicken chunks, salsa.

Also, my Mex friends heat a skillet or griddle (add no grease), then just fry (or grill, whatever you want to call it) the plain tortilla a few seconds per side before they use them. They call the tortillas right out of the package, "cruda" or "raw." They do this not just to heat the tortillas, but to also fry them a bit (although not til they start crisping, I should add), getting a few more brown spots on them. Sometimes I do it; sometimes not. But they are better fried a little. Then, you can just smear them with good quality butter and eat, just as you would a slice of bread.

And Saffy, don't forget fajitas, of course.

Speaking of easy -- some beans, salsa, and cheese (and fresh basil, mint or other herbs if available), rolled and popped into a hot oven for ten minutes.

Also, a bamboo steamer is a great way to pre-heat the tortillas before using.

jaymes and i discussed in another thread on the mexico board recipes for chilaquiles, which call for corn tortillas, but you might try an interesting flour tortilla variation.

if you like hot, combine roasted peppers with fresh chopped peppers, in addition to your other ingredients. roasting mellows and sweetens the peppers, brings out the flavor--sometimes it's easy to forget that hot peppers lend flavor, not just heat. you can also roast garlic for the same effect.

i agree with everyone, the simplest ingredients work well here--whatever is on hand. great when you're in a hurry. i'm having corn tortillas tonight, myself.

Also, Migas -

Mexicans frequently tear or cut tortillas (both flour and corn) into strips and scramble them into eggs. Often they'll add onions, peppers, cheese, etc., as well.... but not necessarily.

If you look on the Southwest board, you'll find "Migas in Austin." There are several different methods and recipes there, but often Mexican Mamás don't go all out.... just toss a few tortilla strips in with the eggs.

Also, Migas - 

Mexicans frequently tear or cut tortillas (both flour and corn) into strips and scramble them into eggs.  Often they'll add onions, peppers, cheese, etc., as well.... but not necessarily. 

If you look on the Southwest board, you'll find "Migas in Austin."  There are several different methods and recipes there, but often Mexican Mamás don't go all out....  just toss a few tortilla strips in with the eggs.

yum, jaymes--sounds good. the earlier tip about warming tortillas in a steamer is also very right on.

• 3 months later...

Fusion cooking? - my son-in-law takes two flour tortillas put grated cheese between them to "glue" them together, tops them with typical pizza sauce and toppings pops them in the oven and voila - a crispy crust, fast pizza snack.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When I make quesadillas, it's with a little cilantro, and then I saute them in butter. You can fold the tortilla over into a half-moon or you can use two and make a sincronizada. Also, you should make Jaymes's carnitas.

This is a goofy fusion idea that you did not hear from me, but thin some sambal oelek or similar chile-garlic sauce (with chicken broth, maybe) and spread a thin layer on the tortilla, then crisp it up in peanut oil. Top it with scrambled eggs that have a little lime juice and fish sauce added. Do not call it a Thai Breakfast Burrito.

Oh, about the simplest thing but surprisingly good is to make burritos with refried beans, cheddar cheese, salsa, and crumbled tortilla chips. Then you can crisp them up in a lightly oiled pan if you like, and I do. The flour and corn tortillas crunch in different ways.

It's a good thing I never claimed to be a gourmet, huh?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

This is a goofy fusion idea that you did not hear from me, but thin some sambal oelek or similar chile-garlic sauce (with chicken broth, maybe) and spread a thin layer on the tortilla, then crisp it up in peanut oil.  Top it with scrambled eggs that have a little lime juice and fish sauce added.  Do not call it a Thai Breakfast Burrito.

This is a definite "go" for me. I often eat lunch at home alone and use it to try new ideas. This is fast, easy and inexpensive and sounds very yummy. Thanks for the idea

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I make Chaat Papri with tortillas.

It is an Indian street food dish. Traditionally we would use whole wheat crisps (similar to tortilla chips).

These are tossed with cooked chickpeas, cubes of boiled potatoes, salted and flavored yogurt (I add finely minced mint leaves, toasted cumin seed powder, cayenne, salt and some black salt and very finely minced green chili). These are than garnished with generous sums of tamarind chutney and cilantro/mint chutneys (recipes are in the TDG piece on Bhel Puri), chopped cilantro leaves and juliennes of ginger.

chaat_md.jpg

Lucknowi Chaat

Crispy whole wheat wafers combined in a cool and tangy spiced yogurt sauce, tamarind-date chutney topped with chickpeas, potatoes and ginger.

* 1 small package of whole-wheat tortillas (flour ones do just as well)

* 1 16oz. can of chickpeas, nicely drained to wash away the canning juices

* 3 large red potatoes, boiled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes

* 32oz. Container of homestyle Plain Yogurt

* 2 inch piece of ginger root, julienned finely

* Tamarind-Date Chutney

* Black Salt to taste

* Salt to taste

* 1 tsp Sugar

* 2 tsp Chaat Masala

* 4 tsp toasted cumin powder

* 1 tsp cayenne pepper. Optional

* 4 green chillies, chopped finely, optional

* 1 cup of chopped fresh Cilantro

* Sprouted mung beans or French lentils, optional

* Lemon juice, only if using sprouts

* Canola oil for deep frying

Serves: 6

In a deep frying pan or wok pour enough oil to fill it to a depth of 1 1/2 inches. Using a long sharp knife cut the tortillas into 1/2 inch squares or bite sized diamonds and set aside. When the oil is hot (375 degrees F), drop a handful or two of the tortillas into the oil. Fry till golden brown in color and drain on paper towels. Do the same with remaining tortillas and when done let cool till the wafers are crisp.

In a mixing bowl whisk the yogurt, black salt, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, chaat masala, 2 tsp. toasted cumin and a quarter cup of the cilantro greens. The yogurt mix should feel like a light pancake batter consistency. Dilute with milk if needed. Set aside.

In a serving platter or individual salad plates arrange the wafers, chickpeas and potatoes as you feel like. I often like to dip some of the wafers into the yogurt mix and arrange them loosely around the plate or platter. When you have used all the wafers, potatoes and chick peas, divide the yogurt mix equally over each plate or over the platter. Sprinkle the top of each plate or the platter with generous splatters of the Tamarind-Date chutney. Sprinkle the cumin powder on this and garnish with the ginger and cilantro.

If using the sprouts, toss them with a little salt and lemon juice. You can arrange these on the rim of the plate or on the sides of the platter.

Note: Chaat Masala, Tamarind-Date chutney and the Black Salt are easily available in Indian Stores nationwide.

Cheese Crisps (some people call these a "Mexican pizza")

flour tortillas (2 large, 14-inch, or four smaller ones)

butter

1 Cup shredded cheese (use your favorite Mexican cheese, or a good-quality mild cheddar like Longhorn)

Salsa (home-made or GOOD storebought)

Pre-heat oven to 350. Take pizza pan or large baking sheet and place tortillas on it a single layer (if you use the really big ones, you can do one each on a pizza pan). Butter tortillas evenly. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese melts and tortillas are crispy brown.

Serve at once while crisps are hot. Serve with salsa and/or sliced pickled jalapenos (canned jalapenos en escabeche).

Edited by Jaymes (log)