• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newman's Celebrated Port Wine

hodge-podge

I recieved a bottle of this port from my grandmother and was wondering if anyone knew anything about. There is a story on the back of the bottle of its provenance, but, I want to know if this bottle is still worthwhile to have around.

Any feedback would be great.

• 5 weeks later...

Can't tell you about taste, but there is quite a colorful history. This is a summary from Ben Howkins: Rich, Rare & Red: A Guide to Port (3rd ed, 2003) and Richard Mayson: Port and the Douro (author's private printing, 1999).

Hunt Constantino: Better known under its former title of Hunt Roope, this firm has one of the longest and most colorful histories in the Port business. It was established by a number of the Dartmouth and Devon families of Newman, Roope, Holdsworth, Hunt and Teague. The Newmans carried out a thriving trade in dried cod (bacalhao) with their own ships, dating as far back as the fifteenth century.

In 1735, Hunt Roope opened lodges in Vila Nova de Gaia and Viana do Castelo, the former for wine, the latter for fish. The company's ships had a number of escapades and adventures. Their brig named Jenny, en route to London with a cargo of Port, beat off a French privateer with 18 guns. This is commemorated in a panel of azulejos [classic Portuguese tiles] on the wall of the adega at the Newman's family property, Quinta de Eira Velha [a quinta is similar in concept to a chateau in French winemaking].

Ferreira bought the firm of Hunt Roope in 1956 and the Newman family retained the Quinta. In the 70s the quinta passed into the hands of the Cockburn firm, which markets an exceptional single quinta wine under the Martinez label. At vintage time, the family flies the Portuguese flag, the Union Jack, and the flag of the old Newman Newfoundland Shipping Company.

The quinta is listed as "Grade A" under the Cadastro grade, which means it has an almost ideal altitude, sun, soil, etc., combination. The quinta is just outside Pinhao, looking out on the Douro River and the railway station -- it apparently has one of the most spectacular views in the Douro Valley.

I'm hoping to be there in a few weeks and will try to post pictures if I can. I also have James Suckling's book rating vintage ports and will try to see if he has any tasting notes.

What exactly do you have? Is it labeled "Newman's"? Is it dated, vintage, ruby, tawny?

Regards,

JasonZ

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

From James Suckling, Vintage Port: The Wine Spectator's Ultimate Gude for Consumers, Collectors and Investors (Wine Spectator Press, 1990) ... there are tasting notes (ratings) for Qunita da Eira Velha, 1987 (86), 1982 (81), 1978 (85). He uses the Wine Spectator rating system (1-100). The background info repeats much of what I've already provided, with more family details and a description of the tiled scenes around the lagares.

Suckling has no rating on collectibility for this producer. Given the small area of vineyards, clearly production is quite limited. He refers to the "very good quality" of the vintage port from this single quinta. Since he still writes for Wine Spectator, you may be able to either google a more recent review or send him an email question.

Of interest is the following: "At one time, the Newmans had a fleet of trading ships and would take Port from Hunt Roope in casks as ballast. The yount Port would spend the winter in Newfoundland and then be shipped back to Portugal [my note: this was the classic method of barrel aging young ports and for madeira]. 'The Canadians got a tasted for the wine', said Peter Newman, 46, a co-owner of Eira Velha who lives in England. 'We still ship a Port called Newman. The Newfoundland Liquor Corporations sells Newman's Celebrated Port. We find the blend for them.'"

That's all the info I have, until I go and visit ... we'll see what I can add once I return.

Regards,

Jason

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK