• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee And Chocolate?

aguynamedrobert

Hello Everyone,

Well I am usually in the Baking and Pastry forum but I decided to jump the gap so we could discuss something....I am a chocolate expert and actually do pairings...yet most of the time that involves wine and chocolate. I really think the coffee and chocolate were made for each other when it comes to eating/drinking together or pairing.

I was hoping to meet some coffee connoisseurs in here and learn a little bit about coffee and maybe try to match up some different origins of coffee and chocolate...I hope to learn some more about coffee and how it could go with chocolate...

Hello Everyone,

Well I am usually in the Baking and Pastry forum but I decided to jump the gap so we could discuss something....I am a chocolate expert and actually do pairings...yet most of the time that involves wine and chocolate.  I really think the coffee and chocolate were made for each other when it comes to eating/drinking together or pairing. 

I was hoping to meet some coffee connoisseurs in here and learn a little bit about coffee and maybe try to match up some different origins of coffee and chocolate...I hope to learn some more about coffee and how it could go with chocolate...

Robert, I'm not a coffee connoisseur like most who are members of this form but I do enjoy a good cup of coffee and I adore coffee. So I paid a visit to your site and was in chocolate heaven. Finally a place where I can order premium quality chocolate for both baking and eating. Thanks

I wish I had real answers for you on the chocolate and coffee pairing idea. It's a concept - pairing chocolate with coffee and/or espresso - that gets kicked around here and there as a discussion item in the progressive specialty coffee biz but I don't know of anyone who's set up and done such a thing formally (it's probably happened but i just haven't heard about it).

Like wines, each coffee varietal has its own unique set of characteristics. But due to the terroir factor even a single varietal may be dramatically different from one year to the next, one farm to the next and you'll even see variations from withindifferent lots produced by a single estate or farm in one growing season.

Add to that the fact that if you get a generic varietal - e.g. Kenya AA from a growers co-op that mixes beans from many different farms versus a single estate varietal all produced by one grower on one farm - there is yet another factor that creates variations.

The best publicly available cupping notes that cover current crops are to be found here:

Sweet Maria's Coffee Cupping Reviews

Despite a dearth of info on coffee/chocolate pairings there are some coffee and food pairings showing up. Here's the menu from the special Stumptown Coffee and Navarre Restaurant coffee dinner held in Portland OR 2006. I believe there is another one schedueld for this year (or it may have already happened - not certain about that).

Panama Esmerelda Reserve

Pan D'Epice with Goose Rillettes

Ethiopia Yirgacheffe

Foie Gras and Serrano Ham Terrine with Mizuna

2005 Lambrusco, San Prospero, Ca de Medici

Rwanda Karaba

Eggs in Meurette Nests

NV Vouvray, Francois Pinon, Brut

Kenya Gethumbwini

Chicken Galantine with a Million Herbs Corn Sauce and Farro Salad with Mint

2005 Moscato d'Asti, Vigneto Biancospino

Panama Carmen Estate

Taleggio with Honey

Blanquette de Limoux, Method Ancestrale, Vergnes

Nicaragua Los Delirios

Candied Beets and Cherries with Polenta and Pickled Porcini

2005 Brachetto D'Acqui, Pineto, Morenco

Ethiopia Sidamo

Hickory Smoked Chocolate Mousse with Yogurt Jello

Homemade Walnut Liquour

Just wondering :hmmm: are you planning to serve the coffee straight :rolleyes: with milk/cream or sugar this makes a difference.

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 3 weeks later...

Coffee and Chocolate!!

I think this is going too be a hard combination to come up with perfect pairings.

I run a small chocolate store and combined with coffee on the side and I have seen people change their coffee fixings based on how they feel today or what sweets they are having on the side. I have noticed peoples choices can change throughout the day. In the morning, it is a lot of regular coffees, in the afternoon, more cappuccinos.

The combinations are so varied that I think trying to pair the two could not be done the same as pairing a nice top quality chocolate with the perfect red wine. There are way too many variations.

Of course, any time of day, there is nothing better with a fine truffle than a great cup of coffee but that is just my opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck on your new venture. There will soon be a coffee operation in Silver Lake, (Los Angeles) California that will also be introducing coffee and chocolate pairings. The chocolatier and pastry chef is from a renowned restaurant in Los Angeles.

• 1 year later...

This topic has come up several times for me recently. Chocolate and coffee is one of my favorite pairings.

I hang my head in shame to admit this. But a while ago, I stopped into my local convenience store for a plastic wrapped choco-cream snack, then headed to the ubiquitous coffee chain store for a black cup o' joe. My breakfast. Separately, guilty pleasures at best. Together, eyes-rolling-in-the-back-of-my-head amazing.

It's simple - sweet, bitter.

It's complex - the oils, the roasts, the brew, the texture, the temperature, the aromas, the presentation.

If it's good while briskly walking across the street, almost late to work on a rainy morning, how much better if all aspects are treated with precision?

Tomorrow, I just might start my day by picking up a brownie at Coco Rouge, then head to Star Lounge Coffee Bar for a pour-over of Chiapas.

Mmm.

Edited by Troy Sidle (log)