• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods Launches Online Cooking Show

johnnyd

From Sustainable Food News.com (reprinted by permisson from the editor/publisher)

May 7, 2007

Whole Foods Market Monday launched Secret Ingredient, its first-ever weekly online cooking show and resource for home cooks seeking useful tips and simple recipe ideas.

The natural and organic grocer said the new show features foods exclusive to Whole Foods or meet the company's strict quality standards, including the world's first nitrate-free prosciutto, award-winning aged Balsamic vinegar, fresh artisan-made goat cheese and hand selected Parmigiano Reggiano.

"We hope to deliver inspiration," said Scott Simons, Whole Foods Market food aficionado and host of Secret Ingredient. "Because we focus on only one ingredient per episode, viewers really get to know the featured item and take away practical cooking tips and recipes. Top that off with easy yet tasty meal solutions and Secret Ingredient is a home cook's treasure."

The video podcast will be available on Whole Foods Market's website as well as on iTunes and on YouTube.

A new episode is available every Monday and all episodes will be archived for anytime availability.

The first episode features farm-raised catfish, a mild and versatile fish raised without antibiotics in a controlled environment. Simons will demonstrate a recipe for Thai-inspired fish tacos.

The video podcast is filmed in high definition at Whole Foods stores and its U.S. culinary centers.

Whole Foods Video Blog here

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 3 months later...
including the world's first nitrate-free prosciutto

What?

The last time I checked Italian proscuitto is cured with salt and then aged. Do they extract some type of naturally occurring nitrate from the ham?

Dave