• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Westchester NY to Bowdoin (Brunswick ME)

emilymarie

I am travelling to Bowdoin from Westchester, NY for the Bowdoin graduation over Memorial Day weekend.

We will be leaving late at night and travelling north from around 7 to midnight. I have a couple of question:

-What are some good restaurants that we might hit on our way up to Brunswick for dinner? I would like to avoid fast food. Are there any diners or spots close to the highway that would be open late for a good and quick bite?

-Once in Bruswick, what spots should we hit--for breakfast, coffee, snacks, lunch, dinner?

This is my first time to Maine and I want to eat as much great food as possible!

Please advise and thanks!

:smile:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I don't know much in Brunswick & am not sure if you're going to be in the area long enough, but in case you are, I give you this -

And for my money nobody does it better than the folks on the pier at Five Islands, Maine. (First right off Rt. 1 after you cross the Kennebec via the Bath Bridge. Just follow the road all the way out the Georgetown peninsula until it ends. You'll find a working dock just before you drive into the ocean.)

We had a thread last year that incorporated a debate on whether Red's can be considered a true lobster roll, or merely a heap of lobster meat atop a toasted roll. I'm too tired to try & find it. I've also never been to Red's so must reserve judgement. But I remain skeptical of the claim that they have the best lobster roll, as opposed to one of the best values, in Maine.

- from The Best Lobster Roll thread.

Bath is the next big town north from Brunswick up Rt. 1. The whole Brunswick - Five Islands drive = 20 miles. The waterside views when you finally reach Five Islands are stunning, it's a little slice of costal Maine at its best.

The place is called Five Islands Lobster Co. As I recall they are open 7 days a week Memorial Day - Labor Day, weekends only in May & Sept. Call before you go, if you go, just in case. They also have steamed lobster dinners, clams, burgers & such for the kids.

Also, for more upscale dining, there's Robinhood Free Meeeting House, a fascinating place in a former church about halfway out the Georgetown road towards Five Islands. Chef Michael Gagne is a genuine talent.

We'll be back in this area in July, we're there every year. Just thinking about these places already has my appetite whetted! :smile:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Thanks for the tips! I'll try to get out to the meetinghouse one night. I'm making a special trip to Primo on Sunday night.

Bowdoin actually has a nice tradition: They have a lobster bake on the night before the graduation for grads and their families. I may be lobster-ed out but might make the drive for some good sight-seeing.

thanks, again.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since there have been no recs for Brunswick, I'll give our results.

We were in Harpswell for a week (positioning ourselves near our two Presidents - Bush and Sarko) and largely ate lobstah, which ranged from $4.99 a cull at Gurnet Trading to $20.00 a pound at Cook's Lobster.

Tonight, however, we ate in Brunswick at Joshua's Tavern aka Joshua Chamberlain's (he who won the Civil War with the 20th Maine at Gettysburg, cf The Killer Angels), 123 Maine Street, 207-725-7981. I had the most outstanding dish - fried scallops with salad; the others had less impressive sauteed scallops and a crab salad. Bill $52.43 before tip. Would I go again? You bet for that fry. But as a destination for a full menu, nah.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris