• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iced Coffee: The Topic

slkinsey

It's getting warmer, and in Springtime a young man's fancy turns to iced coffee. Today I almost achieved iced coffee nirvana.

Tall Glass

Fill 2/3with leftover extra-strong presspot coffee

Add plentiful sweetened condensed milk

Add a slug of U-Bet chocolate syrup

Add ice

Stir

Enjoy

The two things that would improve on this, as I see it, would be frozen coffee cubes instead of ice, and some of that Ghirardelli chocolate syrup Alacarte pointed out. Some people like to use espresso as the coffee base, but at the volume I drink I'd be getting something like 14 shots per serving.

So...? How do you do it?

--

Two shots of perfectly pulled espresso. One very large scoop of Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heathbar Cruch ice cream (alternately, just plain Starbucks Coffee Ice Cream works well).

Pour hot coffee over ice cream.

Voila - perfect crema is made.

Consume.

Hmm. I haven't had ice coffee in a long long time. I remember how i used to make it in college (perfect for hangover classes). One 32oz to go cup filled with ice cubes, pour hot coffee over the ice and swirl til the some of the ice melted and the cup was filled, mix creamer and sugar til dissolved, dump into 32oz cup, put the lid on, cover the straw part, give it a couple of shakes, and sip away though first class.

Edited by tryska (log)

My name is Kristin and I am an iced coffee addict.......

Regardless of weather I drink it daily starting at aout 6:00am (and am sipping it as I type). Normally I make up a large 8 cup pot , with just under the boil water and a drip filter, I add a little sugar and then I refrigerate it and drink it for 2 to 3 days adding milk when I pour it into my glass.

When I have friends over I usually make it fresh with espresso or sometimes in a French press.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My name is Squeat and I, too, am an iced coffee addict! (Am drinking some as we type.)

I do pretty much the same as Kristin: make a big pot of drip coffee (Graffeo -- simply the world's finest coffee) and refrigerate, except I don't add sugar and I drink it black. (Oddly, on the rare occasions that I drink hot coffee, I prefer it with half-and-half and lots of sugar.)

I also make coffee ice cubes by freezing the coffee in mini-ice cube trays and storing in ziplocs.

Cheers,

Squeat

My name is Brooks and I too am an iced coffee addict.

Currently this is how I make it.

I make a pot of press pot and throw it in the freezer after it is done and cool(somtimes I forget about it and then I have coffee ice :shock::angry: ).

2/3 Coffee (add a little sugar, not much, and stir BEFORE you add milk or ice)

1/3 Whole Milk

(sometimes I add a little Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (outta the can-I love that package-don't know why exactly)

Pour the whole thing in a huge iced tea glass over ice and slurp.

I am drinking one right now as a matter of fact as I slave over my gumbo for tonight.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I love iced coffee in all forms, but the problem is I've been having a lot of Vietnamese food over the last year or so and have become accustomed to Vietnamese Iced Coffee.

Its sort of like freebasing cocaine. Once you go hardcore, its difficult to go back to other methods.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

How is Vietnamese Iced Coffee different Jason?

Vietnamese Coffee Thread

Basically, what you got is this little coffee brewer the Vietnamese use that sits over a coffee cup with condensed milk in it. Its brewed very strong and it takes like 10 minutes for it to drip into the cup. Once all the coffee essence is extracted, you mix it up with the condensed milk, yeilding a very sweet, very strong coffee(usually flavored with chickory) that is then poured over a glass of ice.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

my buddy david shaw introduced me to the shakerato, which is apparently all the rage in tuscany, or at least was two years ago, and now it is my summertime morning ritual: double-shot of espresso. good teaspoon of sugar, enough milk to lighten the color of the coffee, 3 ice cubes (not more, not less). put them in a sealed container and shake the shit out of them. it will froth into an icy milkshake. delicious.

Vietnamese Coffee Thread

Basically, what you got is this little coffee brewer the Vietnamese use that sits over a coffee cup with condensed milk in it. Its brewed very strong and it takes like 10 minutes for it to drip into the cup. Once all the coffee essence is extracted, you mix it up with the condensed milk, yeilding a very sweet, very strong coffee(usually flavored with chickory) that is then poured over a glass of ice.

so sort of like Thai iced tea.

*goes off to read thread*

Vietnamese Coffee Thread

Yep. Mine is pretty much the same thing, only I use leftover press-pot coffee instead of brewing it in a special brewer. My press-pot coffee is very strong. The big difference is that I like to add a dollop of chocolate syrup. Sweetened condensed milk is key, though.

I just got in 20 lbs of Liquid Amber green beens from Sweet Maria's today, and I need to calibrate my new doserless Rocky grinder. This means pulling something like 10 shots. I predict a pretty awesome glass of iced espresso when I'm finished.

--

Dude, your hyperactivity index is gonna make the ferrets look like tree sloths by comparison.

Once all the coffee essence is extracted, you mix it up with the condensed milk, yeilding a very sweet, very strong coffee(usually flavored with chickory) that is then poured over a glass of ice.

This is correct - most Vietnamese restaurants in the uS actually use Cafe du Monde dark roast coffee - the New Orleans product that is a coffee and chicory blend. My favorite local Viet restaurant has switched over to a Vietnames import - more costly but it makes an iced Viet style coffee far superior to any other brand I've tried

Trung Nguyen Coffee

My favorite iced coffee drink is a home brewed variation of the Starbuck Frappuccino style drink. I make mine to have far less sugar content and lower fat (not to mention that it cost me 50 cents instead of $4.00!)

Use a full bodied coffee such as a good French roast. Reduce by 50% the amount of water used to make the coffee. I sometimes also add a couple spoons of Ferrara's Instant Espresso powder while it's hot.

Most important is to use small ice cubes and a good strong blender that is capable of finely crushing the ice. I suggest the

Braun Powermax Blender

It has a stronger motor than anything else in its class and in my experience actually does a better job at crushing than the Waring and other brands in the $100 - $150 range.

Do not over blend - mixture will separate more rapidly after serving if you do so. Lately I've been experimenting with adding food grade carageenan as a binding agent to prevent separation - if doing this use a very small amount - about 1/4 teaspoon in a blender full of ice and mix. My attempts at using pectin for this purpose were disasterous.

Using ice cubes made of espresso or strong coffee also adds a nice kick.

1 1/2 cups cold extra strong coffee

simple syrup to taste

1 teaspoon chocolate syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract

Stir to dissolve ingredients while hot

Add cooled mixture to 1/2 cup milk with fat level of your choice before storing. Shake well before adding to blender. This recipe is intended for use with 3 cups of ice cubes.

This is correct - most Vietnamese restaurants in the uS actually use Cafe du Monde dark roast coffee - the New Orleans product that is a coffee and chicory blend.  My favorite local Viet restaurant has switched over to a Vietnames import - more costly but it makes an iced Viet style coffee far superior to any other brand I've tried 

Trung Nguyen Coffee

Another good coffee to use is Community Coffee , also from New Orleans. Specifically the one you want is the New Orleans blend. Many of the Vietnamese places in N.O. (there's a lot of Vietnamese immigrants down there now) use this one.

For awhile I got addicted to Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. They come in huge sizes, and the sugar sinks to the bottom and doesn't dissolve....so when you sip it thru the big fat straw, you get a whoosh of sugar. mmmm.....

Wouldn't dare think of putting sugar in a hot coffee, but iced coffee is a whole 'nother creature.

I love iced coffee, too, something my mom introduced me to. I think she got onto it as a way to use the left over coffee. That brings me to a question; how long can you keep refrigerated coffee?

Tom

I am not sure how you actually can keep it, but I regulary keep it for 3 to 4 days (in the pot I made it in) with no problems.

I am another one who never puts sugar in hot coffee but MUST add it to iced.....

I tried the shakerato before (with a recipe off the internet) only mine had no milk and a lemon twist, it was good but I really could have used some milk. I try it with milk next time.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Awwwwwwwwww yea! I have been to the mountan top. 6 shots of freshly roasted espresso. Sweetened condensed milk. Chocolate syrup. Plenty of ice. Shook it up in a cocktail shaker until the ice started breaking up and poured it into a glass. Delicious!

And I just want to say... if lovin' this iced coffee is wrong, I don't want to be right! It's sexual chocolate!

In other news... it's 11:30, I am not the least bit sleepy and... well, I don't mind telling you that I'm little jittery.

--

I have this gizmo that was a gift. It's a plastic jug that has a felt pad on the bottom on the inside, and a hold under the felt pad with a plug under it. Just put ground coffee into it with a mess of cold water and let it sit overnight. Next morning, pull the plug and put the plastic jug over the glass carafe that comes with it.

Cold press iced coffee is The Best. I'll have to see if I can find which box it is in (we just moved) and see who makes it. Cold press is good. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Cold press iced coffee is The Best. I'll have to see if I can find which box it is in (we just moved) and see who makes it. Cold press is good. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

There are actually two threads - one dedicated to the topic

Cold Brewed Coffee

and one that was latched on to a French Press thread - scroll down on this one

more Cold Brew coffee info

Hey,

I hope I'm not steering this thread in the wrong direction. I love to read what folks say about iced coffee. I have a slight difference of opinion. It is my belief that if you make a cold (i.e. iced) coffee drink with coffee that was previously hot, then you're drinking "cold coffee."

I also believe that if the drink is made with freshly brewed hot coffee or fresly brewed, immediately chilled coffee, then you can make a virtual cornicopia of drinks. Have a ball!

Now the gizmo that "snowangel" was speaking if is a Toddy Iced coffee maker. They've been very popular here in New Orleans for over 25 years. They've been popularized by a local coffeehouse, PJ's coffee. (I was the roastmaster there for 6 years. I prefered to just be called Production Manager). Yet, I digress. The website is http://www.toddycafe.com/. They're based in Houston.

Personal to Jason Perlow. Sorry pal, that Community coffee, (that I grew up on) is just friggin' nasty, esp. that New Orleans Blend which is coffee & chicory. Iced coffee with coffee&chicory is plain nasty. And they're based in Baton Rouge, fwiw.

Please use a good quality coffee. The Toddy will set you back @ 24 bucks. Spend 6 or 7 bucks on a decent coffee. Grind it between.slightly coarse to percolate. As "snowangel" said, pour the coffee in the gizmo, pour in @ 9 - 10 cups cold water, let sit overnight, drain into carafe. You've got 32 oz. of fresh hi quality coffee concentrate. Double volume with 32 oz. water.

Here's a tip. Add a TBSP of Vanilla. A concentrated vanilla, or a Mexican style vanilla works best. Helps to take the edge off of the coffee. She's right, this is the best. But pleeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeee....use good coffee!

Java-Joe

Edited by Java-Joe (log)

You gonna eat that?