• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz on ice cream

John DePaula

Made DL's Coffee Frozen Yogurt the other day and added dark chocolate that I chopped up into chunks. Really good - the tang of the yogurt played nicely with the coffee. I used Trader Joe's 2% Greek Yogurt. Not scoopaply soft, but softened up enough after 10 minutes out of the freezer.

We just brought home our first ice cream maker (DeLonghi) and have cranked out the classics (5 year old has her own ideas about ice cream, vanilla and strawberry being the only flavors in the universe). Thought I'd tempt her with chocolate raspberry, but no go. Can't say I'm terribly disappointed... :rolleyes: more for me!

I'd love to try making a sorbet with Limoncello. Anyone ever done this?

Got my frozen dessert machine today (thanx ups!) and the lambic is freezing as I type. I did not want to make it too sweet. Been in about a half an hour, so it should be ready soon, I will post some pix.

did the vietnamese coffee ice cream again and added cacao nibs to it which gave it a nice bite.

I'll try the cacao nibs next time. Sounds good.

Tried the cocoa nibs, finely chopped, in the Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream but did not like it. Too bitter and intrusive for me, DH, and company. Might try them again as Caramelized Cocoa Nibs (Recchiuti, Chocolate Obsession, p. 140.

In the meantime, we'll eat the ice cream with homemade Magic Shell, which is kind of kidlike, but still good.

Somewhat off topic but if I might be allowed. I recently found a recipe for Cacao Nib Shortbread on Pastry Girl's "Dessert First" blog. 1/3 cup nibs to 2 cups of flours and wonder how that can taste, given my negative (and surprised) response to the nibs in a sweet ice cream. :hmmm: Any thoughts?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Came out awesome, very simple. It has enough air in it so you think its an italian ice. Its real soft because the alcohol in it, but the texture and taste is awesome. I only wish it was some skill rather than the machine! I followed the recipe pretty much exact (slightly less sugar) as it read. I mean two part recipe :smile:

Now I have to work on my photography skills as well!

dscn3073.jpgfresh scoop.jpg

Darienne, sorry you didnt like it, I guess my palate is just different and like the slight bitterness as well as the crunch from the nibs bring a nice contrast to the sweetness of the condensed milk. Maybe I am just weird haha. The caramel cocao nibs sounds interesting, I think I need to try that. I would also suggest the chocolate covered nibs Taza has, I need to hide that bag because I will just eat them straight up.

As for Magic Shell, that stuff is awesome! I have no shame in saying that I if magic shell is on hand I will use it on ice cream.

That lambic looks awesome! It is now being added to the list of stuff to try. Made the Peach Ice Cream and the sour cream really does bring a nice tangy to it. I also used White Peaches as well.

Reporting back on the Shortbread Cookies with Cacao nibs in them. I chopped the nibs quite finely and so far so good. The cookie dough...oh do I love raw cookie dough...is great.

My question re the Vietnamese Ice Cream is for DudeI'mHungy...how much nib did you use in the recipe and how finely did you chop it?

My guess is that a) I used too much and b) it wasn't finely chopped enough.

??? :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I use about 2-3 tablespoons of the nibs. I have been using the Schaeffer Berger cocao nibs so they are crushed and quite finely chopped down. I apologize for not mentioning that, I forgot that nibs themsleves come in all shapes and sizes.

I have been thinking of doing a little bit of experimenting, I have just tried some of the momofuku msio butterscotch and I am totally loving it. I am thinking of combining the miso butterscotch and making that in a butterscotch peacan ice cream. I am going to make the base probably friday and churn it up saturday morning, hopefully it works haha.

I use about 2-3 tablespoons of the nibs. I have been using the Schaeffer Berger cocao nibs so they are crushed and quite finely chopped down. I apologize for not mentioning that, I forgot that nibs themsleves come in all shapes and sizes.

I have been thinking of doing a little bit of experimenting, I have just tried some of the momofuku msio butterscotch and I am totally loving it. I am thinking of combining the miso butterscotch and making that in a butterscotch peacan ice cream. I am going to make the base probably friday and churn it up saturday morning, hopefully it works haha.

I assume you mistyped and meant 'momofuku miso'. In simple words, please, what exactly is that? Too much info on google. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Yeah, I meant the momofuku miso butterscotch recipe. It is basically miso that is caramelized/browned in the oven and then combined with brown sugar and such that it becomes butterscotch that has a nice saltiness to it. It is one of the few sweet recipes he has and it is used as an accompaniment with his fried apple pie. This either will taste awesome or end up taste like...well yeah. I'll see what happens.

TPS will be arriving on Aug 5, vacation from 7-11th, aaahhhh.

The lambic has come out best, I finished eating it last night (still a dream, sour, sweet, raspberries, could it get any better?) but my low fat ice cream for my wife came out icy, and my gelato (7% butterfat) was the same, both very very tastee, but not quite the right texture.

I love the machine, it is awesome. 2 quarts! My wife thinks I'm going to blow up 4-6 sizes however.

Finally picked up this book last week (based on this thread) after buying the Kitchenaid attachment a month or so ago. I just made the Gianduja Gelato last night... superb. My wife barely even complained about the mess, after tasting it ;).

-Rick

Tonight a simple Ice Cream to go with an apple pie. The custard looks, feels and tastes amazing (Not TPS though). I'm going to try a Gelato base tonight as well. I cant believe how much this machine makes. I can't keep up!

A search of this thread reveals that no one has made DL's Buttercrunch Toffee. Said lacuna has now been filled and it awaits the vanilla type base for the ice cream. I'll make it with cornstarch...more or less DL's Fleur de Lait, but Mark Bittman's recipe which I use constantly.

Making ice cream to bribe, payoff, influence, console, pacify, etc, seems to work quite well. :raz: Two hulking young men are going to help DH maneuver the new shower-stall and the bathtub units upstairs tomorrow. This is a favor, not for payment, and I think a quart of Buttercrunch Toffee ice cream will go over well.

We have a young man working for us right now and he has asked for strawberry ice cream. Unless I am mistaken, DL does not have a recipe for plain strawberry ice cream but that should not be difficult to find.Buttercrunch Toffee.JPG

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have had a pretty difficult time finding a good strawberry ice cream recipe. Tons of them for a vanilla with strawberries.

I actually started with the recipe for that, and ended up adding some pureed strawberries/sugar type mixture, and came up with a pretty good result, though it was on the verge of being icy (lots of water in strawberries), but it got eaten within a day or so, and it tasted pretty good. Wasn't bad for my 2nd batch of ice cream at least. One tip, for sure, is if you are going to have pieces of strawberry in it, chill them well before you put them in, or they will magically suck all of the cold out of your base, and you will have strawberry soup with frozen strawberries in it...

I'm rambling at this point, but if you find a good strawberry ice cream recipe, please share here.

Nothing special at this end for a strawberry ice cream. I'll try it with my usual cornstarch base and see how it goes, also adding the corn syrup or invert sugar to counteract the iciness factor. It's all still just one huge experiment for me. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Good idea...except for one thing. The DH likes ice cream better than frozen yogurt and this one is actually for the young guy who is working for us for a bit. He asked for strawberry.

I made him the Hot Aztec Chocolate ice cream, which is incredible, and then he told me that he didn't like hot things and he didn't actually like chocolate either. What kind of a kid is that? I noticed that he ate it all...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Nothing special at this end for a strawberry ice cream. I'll try it with my usual cornstarch base and see how it goes, also adding the corn syrup or invert sugar to counteract the iciness factor. It's all still just one huge experiment for me. :raz:

I've made strawberry ice cream where I cooked the berries with sugar, vanilla bean and a little lemon. Then add to the base. I found that with the berries cooked, they don't get the icy-ness like fresh berries.

I've made strawberry ice cream where I cooked the berries with sugar, vanilla bean and a little lemon. Then add to the base. I found that with the berries cooked, they don't get the icy-ness like fresh berries.

That's a great idea - I'll have to try that.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

So Robin, I took your advice and cooked the strawberries first. Wonderful ice cream. DH and young worker loved it. Big time. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

So Robin, I took your advice and cooked the strawberries first. Wonderful ice cream. DH and young worker loved it. Big time. Thanks.

Great, glad that it worked for you!

I have had a pretty difficult time finding a good strawberry ice cream recipe. Tons of them for a vanilla with strawberries.

I usually make sorbet with strawberries, but I can tell you how I'd put together a strawberry ice cream recipe.

First, look up online and find out the water and sugar content of the berries. Reduce your recipe's sugar and milk accordingly, based on whatever portion of the berries you plan to puree. Then add nonfat dry milk to the recipe. I'd try between 20 and 40 grams per KG of your recipe.

For the berries that don't get pureed, I'd macerate them in a portion of the recipe's sugar overnight. This will suppress their freezing point. Add them right at the end of churning.

Notes from the underbelly