• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Tours Of Thailand

Has anyone been on a culinary tour of Thailand? And I don't mean in a bus with the polyester set, I mean a small group traveling with a Thai food expert? If yes, what were your thoughts about the quality of the food and the knowledge of the guide?

Thanks,

Cat

cat lancaster

catchi@ix.netcom.com

Portland, OR

I haven't been on Kasma's trips, but I have benefited greatly from her and her husband's advice. My friend and I "knew" her husband online and had helped with some store addresses and such for her second book. He in turn helped us with recommendations when we went to southern Thailand.

We went to a lot of the places they recommended and they were all spot on except for one, which I don't think you go to for the food (it was a beautiful island you take an hours long boat ride too and there was fantastic snorkeling). We also found some great places on our own and did a lot of night market eating, but the hardest part was transportation. I think that would be a big benefit to going with a small group, she hires a couple of drivers. I'm not a tour group kind of person, and I would go on one of her tours.

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/travel/tripinfo.html

regards,

trillium

• 1 month later...

ha funny you brought that up me and my gf are moving to bangkok to set up a food tour company as of december, we havent found any really nice companies tfuly we will have a good enough market to support this move,, otherwise its back to the kitchen for us. Were planning a "high end" service customized to our clients requests and needs were both coming out of the nyc fine dining scene. Does this help you at all probaly not seeing that were about a year out, but its re assuring to see someone in search of such services.......

ha funny you brought that up me and my gf are moving to bangkok to set up a food tour company as of december, we havent found any really nice companies tfuly we will have a good enough market to support this move,, otherwise its back to the kitchen for us. Were planning a "high end" service customized to our clients requests and needs were both coming out of the nyc fine dining scene. Does this help you at all probaly not seeing that were about a year out, but its re assuring to see someone in search of such services.......

Best of luck on your endeavor.

For those who may be looking into such a trip in the near future, the CIA's World of Flavors Travel program has a trip to Thailand. While I haven't been on that trip, I can vouch for the overall quality of their trips. Their contacts are great and their ability to put together an outstanding trip culinarily and otherwise makes me think that this would be a wonderful one as well.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Has anyone been on a culinary tour of Thailand?  And I don't mean in a bus with the polyester set, I mean a small group traveling with a Thai food expert?  If yes, what were your thoughts about the quality of the food and the knowledge of the guide?

Thanks,

Cat

We just got back from a trip to Shanghai and Bangkok (four days at the Oriental). I will post about the trips later.

Before we went to Bangkok, we had met Nym, a food writer and traveler who lives in Bangkok, while she was visiting Boston.

nym

korakot punlopruksa

cell phone +6681 9388991

home/office +662-254-2861

queenym@rocketmail.com

We had dinner with her twp nights and she had several other recommendations for us in terms of markets, street food, etc. Afterwards, we recommended she do a food tour and she is considering a more formal type with a friend of hers.

Definitely worth an email/call.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

While looking for information on how to care for my kaffir lime tree, I found Kasma Loha-unchit's website where she also offers culinary tours to Thailand, along with tons of information about Thai food and cooking. Just from her articles on kaffir lime tree care, I can tell she is extremely knowledgeable.

She offers four different trip, the cheapest one being Trip B to northern and central Thailand for 19 days, costing $3350. The price is all inclusive including airfare from San Francisco, food, transport, and lodging while in Thailand. It seems quite reasonably priced. You could do it yourself for less money, but then you wouldn't know where to go nearly as well as she does. I'd like to try this myself in the next few years.

Has anyone tried this or other similar culinary tours to Thailand?