• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goat or Sheep Cheese Fondue

lperry

My BF has problems with cow's milk cheeses, and I would like to know if there are any sheep or goat milk cheeses out there that would be good for melting into a traditional-type fondue. I've found a few recipes online, but they aren't for the white wine, melty cheese, touch of garlic fondue I want. And I don't want to live in a fondue-free world. :smile:

Is there a cheese expert out there who knows of an alternative to Emmentaler and/or Gruyere?

Thanks-

L

I know there is a goat gouda...and dont forget the more aged a cows milk cheese is, the less "distress" it causes

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Well, my initial thought was to go for something like 'Manchego', that's made with Ewe's milk and has that subtle, nutty flavour that Gruyere/emmentaler have.

Maybe harder to get hold of in the US, but there's also:

Swaledale Goat - A very flavoursome Goat's cheese, which would be nice in a Fondue.

Berkswell - Ewe's milk again. One of my favourites, it's firm, so would go easily into a fondue and it's flavour is sweet, nutty, almost like caramel.

Enjoy!

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I know there is a goat gouda...and dont forget the more aged a cows milk cheese is, the less "distress" it causes

tracey

That's only if the "distress" is caused by lactose intolerance. There are other ways to have problems with cow's milk cheese, some of which increase as the cheese ages. I think (don't take my word for it, though) that goat casein is different enough from cow casein that some people who are allergic or intolerant to one can withstand the other.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

I know there is a goat gouda...

Well, my initial thought was to go for something like 'Manchego', that's made with Ewe's milk and has that subtle, nutty flavour that Gruyere/emmentaler have.

Maybe harder to get hold of in the US, but there's also:

Swaledale Goat - A very flavoursome Goat's cheese, which would be nice in a Fondue.

Berkswell - Ewe's milk again. One of my favourites, it's firm, so would go easily into a fondue and it's flavour is sweet, nutty, almost like caramel.

Enjoy!

I love Manchego just as is - it never occurred to me to melt it into fondue. Thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming! I don't know what I will be able to find, although the DC area is pretty good for cheeses.

That's only if the "distress" is caused by lactose intolerance. There are other ways to have problems with cow's milk cheese, some of which increase as the cheese ages. I think (don't take my word for it, though) that goat casein is different enough from cow casein that some people who are allergic or intolerant to one can withstand the other.

This is an actual allergy - anaphylaxis ensues. For him (not necessarily for others) it is just cow's milk that causes the problem.

Bad boy San Francisco Super Chef, Roland Passot, makes an awesome Fondue Savoyard that has a lot of goat in it. It also has blue cheese along with brie or camembert. Anyway... it is EFFIN AWESOME!! Since trying it a while back I have had no fear of making fondue with whatever kind of cheese is on hand.

Alton Brown also did a show on cheese that included a recipe for a cheese spread or cheese ball. The ingredients are wine, garlic, and a pound of whatever cheese you might have in your refrigerator. Well I've done some experimentation and I am prepared to announce that when melted, this makes a damned good base for a fondue (just needs some more wine... and maybe kirschwasser...if you're into that).

A natural foods store in my area gets some cheeses from a goat dairy that are labeled goat "swiss" and goat "cheddar" - if something similar exists near you, it might work? I've never tried them, so I don't know how close they are to the real thing. But check out the health food stores.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Bad boy San Francisco Super Chef, Roland Passot, makes an awesome Fondue Savoyard that has a lot of goat in it. It also has blue cheese along with brie or camembert. Anyway... it is EFFIN AWESOME!! Since trying it a while back I have had no fear of making fondue with whatever kind of cheese is on hand.

Alton Brown also did a show on cheese that included a recipe for a cheese spread or cheese ball. The ingredients are wine, garlic, and a pound of whatever cheese you might have in your refrigerator. Well I've done some experimentation and I am prepared to announce that when melted, this makes a damned good base for a fondue (just needs some more wine... and maybe kirschwasser...if you're into that).

I'll check this out on his site. Thanks.