• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Area Farmer's Markets -- 2007

The Bloomingdale Market, at 1st and Q Street NW  is fairly small -- 6 or 8 stands, but seem to have most of the basics covered, with Reid Orchards, Truck Patch (absent yesterday for Father's Day) Sunnyside and a couple of other familiar faces.
Is this market on Saturday or Sunday?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Busboy,

A little background to the new markets. I run the Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market and I have just opened two new markets: 14&U and Bloomingdale Farmers' Markets and I welcome all my eGullet friends to visit my new markets. Mount Pleasant is five years old now and I hope that these new markets will last for years as well! Working on the webpage but there is a slashpage up for 14 & U. Back in the day I was the marketing director of cookbooks for Time Life Books (whole story there about how my father subscribed to Foods of the Worlds when I was 12 years old and I wanted to work for Time-Life because I loved that series so much -- and so I did!), but farmers markets are and have always been a passion. I live at U Street and have for 20 years which is why I started that market and I am very enthusiastic about the Bloomingdale area.

One correction. The brand-new Bloomingdale Market is at First and R Streets NW right next to the brand new Big Bear Cafe.

Sundays 10-2

Joan and Bill will be at market every other week with their local lamb because they are a small producer and Bloomingdale is their only market Truck Patch is, indeed, starting on June 25th with their greens, salads, veggies and wonderful pastured pork. There will be a good funk-jazz band playing during the market as there was last week. And Big Bear has excellent coffee. We do indeed have Reid, Sunnyside Organics, Truck Patch, Dragonfly, New Asbury Farms. Bread and cheese to come. Working on the website.

The 14 & U Farmers' Market is at the NW corner of 14th and U Streets NW, on the sidewalk Plaza outside the Reeves Center.

Saturdays 10-2

It started 3 weeks ago. Producers include: Kuhn Orchards from Cashtown, PA who is new to the DC markets, Mountain View Farms, a biodynamic veggie farm also new to the DC markets -- like a baby Tree and Leaf!, Faucher Meadow, a fabulous flower and raspberry grower, new to the DC markets plus some more familiar faces: Smith Meadow for pastured meat and Nancy's pasta made with their own grass range eggs, Quaker VAlley Orchard, SunnySide Organics, Truck Patch and Tree and Leaf -- and Breadline breads. www.14andUfarmersmarket.com

If anyone wants to be on the weekly market email for Mount Pleasant, 14 & U or Bloomingdale, please send me an email.

And yes, we will be expanding the number and kinds of producers at ALL THREE Markets.

robin

But, big news of the week is surely the opening of a new market on one of those corners where the only marketing going on a few years ago was 40s and illicit substances. The Bloomingdale Market, at 1st and Q Street NW is fairly small -- 6 or 8 stands, but seem to have most of the basics covered, with Reid Orchards, Truck Patch (absent yesterday for Father's Day) Sunnyside and a couple of other familiar faces. It is, however, as far I know, the local site to get lamb fro the New Asbury Farm. I picked up a couple shanks and hope to test them out with white beans or maybe cous-cous in the near future. I think later this summer I'm going to get my Greek on, though, and try to do a whole lamb on a rotisserie.

Cherries galore, although sour cherries were in short supply, and we turned out the first clafouti of the year which, along with some homemade cinnamon ice cream was the hit of the barbecue we attended.

It's finally starting to be worth getting up in the morning to hit the markets again.

Edited by Robin Shuster (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Just when I thought I'd have to throw away the courte bouillon in my freezer for having missed half the two-week pea season, Reid Orchards showed up with the lovely legumes this AM at Mt. Pleasant -- back like an old friend on an unexpected visit. If you have access to The French Laundry Cookbook or just know how to make a courte bouillon, you owe it to yourself to make pea soup this weekend. (shell peas, puree, add bouillon, puree again, mush through fine screen, correct for salt and viscosity, top with drizzle of truffle oil and ground pepper, add crunch with parmesan crisps (TK) or cute weensy rye croutons (my wife)).

Peas tomorrow at Bloomingdale (1st and R) and maybe Dupont.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Exotic garlic from Audia's Farm at Mt. Pleasant. My wife bought it and all she could remember was "Khazhakstani" but there were a couple other varieties. They can bring stuff to Takoma Park on sundays if you call them an ask 410-489-7117.

I'm on the pavement

It was a gorgeous morning at the Dupont Circle market. My daughter and I wandered around for a while and came home with:

blueberries and baby squash from Tree & Leaf

cucumbers and bing cherries from Toigo

fresh chicken and pork chops from Eco-Friendly

a bone-in leg of lamb from Virginia Lamb

eggs

beets

tarragon

mesclun with edible flowers

Bonaparte baguette and some apricot tart

Sungold cherry tomatoes from New Morning

and a sunflower :smile:

Mark Toigo says that they will have sour cherries this week at Penn Qtr. Yay!

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I got sour cherries from Twin Springs Fruit Farm this morning. They were $4/qt., 2@ $7.50.

Tiogo had them out when we were there after 11, although thier sign only read Sweet Cherries and Queen Anne's for $7/qt.. So, I asked how much thier sour cherries were, and they were also $7/qt. A full $3 more than across the way.

Also at Twin Berry I got garlic scapes (and now will wade through posts to see how best to use them) and apricots (a bit mealy).

Keswick Creamery Cheddar.

Thanks for the Twin Springs tip. The sour cherries kindly procured for me by Busboy did not measure enough for a batch of jam, so I'll be out looking again this week.

And unless I'm mistaken, which is always possible, I will have to wait until at least Thursday this week to get back to a market, unless anyone here knows of a Monday or Tuesday location.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Thanks for the Twin Springs tip.  The sour cherries kindly procured for me by Busboy did not measure enough for a batch of jam, so I'll be out looking again this week. 

And unless I'm mistaken, which is always possible, I will have to wait until at least Thursday this week to get back to a market, unless anyone here knows of a Monday or Tuesday location.

Twin Springs Fruit Farm is in Bethesda on Tuesday. Here's thier schedule:

http://www.twinspringsfruitfarm.com/market_sch.html

Thank you!! I'll be heading over today.
Peaches on Saturday, woohoo!!!!!!!!!!

A few stands at the Dupont market had peaches. None knocked my socks off. I'm willing to wait a week or two for the good stuff. Same with the tomatoes.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Thank you!! I'll be heading over today.
Peaches on Saturday, woohoo!!!!!!!!!!

A few stands at the Dupont market had peaches. None knocked my socks off. I'm willing to wait a week or two for the good stuff. Same with the tomatoes.

I thought it was a bit too early for peaches too. And hot house tomatoes? I can buy those at Safeway for far less. Actually I buy campari tomatoes at Costco until I (hopefully, fingers crossed) can pick mine off the vine. In fact, my nearby Safeway has been stocking a small amount of hierlooms. Very good. Go figure.

When I was standing at Tiogo on Sunday, waiting to ask them the price of the sour cherries, a woman turns around to her husband holding up a plastic bag and with a look of total dismay says " I just spent $5!!". Two tomatoes and a cuke. It was precious.

I'm beginning to think of myself as a veteran of the markets, but remember back when I would just buy anything and think the EVERYTHING at the market is better. The key is: seasonal, seasonal and seasonal!

Sour cherries are going into a crisp for my guests tommorow. 4th of July with local cherries! Now THAT'S what it's all about. :wink:

Busboy asked me to tell you about new things at my markets.

Squash blossoms at Mt Pleasant, 14 & U on Saturday, Bloomiingdale on Sunday at First and R NW Sunnyside and Truck Patch will both have lots of squash blossoms. I like them fried by themselves, stuffed with mozzarella and anchovie and fried and stuffied with rice and chard and baked and then served with a tomato coulis.

Mountain View at 14 & U will have Moskovich Siberian Tomatoes, Stupice, Early Cascade, Sungold Cherry tomatoes, Early Girl for the early risers plus an interesting collection of summer squash including the Nicoise favorite: Trompette shaped like a serpent and the best squash for sauteeing because it concentrates its flavor rather than turn watery. I always use them for frittatas or omelets. They will also Princess La Ratte Fingerling Potatoes for steaming, boiling and potato salads. Everyone I know in Provence scours the markets for them and the firstokra.

Tree and Leaf will have Purple torpedo Onions which are called Simiane Onions in Provence and used just like shallots. Again, a personal favorite. Fingerling potatoes and newly dug red ones here 14 & U and Mount Pleasant.

Sunnyside will have organic pristine apples -- tart and crispy-- at all three markets

Kuhn will have Transparent apples for sauce -- Amish favorite -- at 14 & U

Tart Pie cherries at Reid at 14 & U and Bloomingdale, Quaker Valley at Mount Pleasant and 14 & U.

English peas continue at Reid and purple, green and wax beans at Mount Pleasant and Bloomingdale.

Jade beans at TRuck Patch at all three markets.

LOTS of raspberries.

Robin

Cantaloupes, honeydews, limas and blackberries were the new items I spotted in Annapolis today. Haven't seen any raspberries, but maybe I'm getting there too late.

As for pooh-poohing the early peaches, after the ridiculous winter we had, we should be praising the gods that there are ANY peaches to be had.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend at Mount Pleasant, 14& U on Saturday and Bloomingdale on Sunday we will have

LOTS of tomatoes. Make Gazpacho.

Reid will have 30 different varieties of Heirlooms at MtP and Bloomingdale

Truck Patch (all 3 markets ) will have many kinds of heirlooms. He prunes them like a winemaker prunes his vines. I was talking to him about it today. He prunes off all the stalks and leaves from the bottom 18 inches of each plant both for air flow ( prevent mildew and disease) and because he believes that this increases the flow of the nutrients to the fruit rather than the lower stalks and leaves.

Mountain View at 14 & U has at least 25 varieties -- and interesting peppers because ATilla's parents are Hungarian. I picked up agood pale yellow Hungarian pepper last week.

Tree and Leaf adores their Rose heirlooms. Also try their Rose, Cherokee Purples, Striped Purple, Moskovitch ((a good early heirloom Siberian tomato), Green Zebras.

Sunnyside (alll 3 markets) is offering an amazing deal on tomatoes: mix and match basket of 8 pounds of heirlooms for 12 dollars; and for those who really want to can or make your own Bloody Mary Mix, a 30 pound case of non -heirlooms for 18 dollars.

Robert "the Potato Man" Audia will be at MtP with his unusual newly dug spuds.

Quaker Valley has Blair Yellow freestone, their personal favorite peach and Israeli melon (green flesh, perfumed and very sweet yellow watermelons.

Reid has Saturn/donut/flat/bagel peaches. I have been feasting on them all week.

So, lots of peaches, lots of nectarines, good blackberries, raspberries.

At least 12 varieties of summer squash -- look especially at Mountain View, Tree and Leaf, Truck Patch. cucumbers, Truck Patch's radishes, arugula, chard, braising greens

Torpedo onions -- cylindrical, reddish purple. Use like shallots. I can't cook without them any more.

Okra at Mountain View--it will go early

Eggplant starting.

Corn at Quaker Valley is small kernelled but sweet tasting.

Kuhn has 4 different early eating apples at 14 & U.

Lamb: I have to rave about the lamb from Bill and Joan Baker who come to Bloomingdale every other week because they are a small producer. They will be here this Sunday at Bloomingdale from 10-2pm. Young mild but very flavorful lamb. I ate their rib chops last night -- blew me away.

Robin

This week at the Farmers' Markets:

My big news this week is that Breadline Bread comes to the Bloomingdale Farmers' Market.

Starting Sunday August 5th, Breadline will be the baker at the Bloomingdale Farmers market. The market is on First and R Streets NW right next to the Big Bear Cafe (EXCELLENT espresso, Beans ground for each cup just like in Italy!) 10-2.

And continuing from last week: Sunnyside will have their amazing bargain sale of both heirloom and Early Girl Tomatoes. Their mix and match basket of heirlooms ( Pile 'em as high as you can) i sonly 12 bucks, about a dollar a pound. The 30 pound case of Early Girls is only 18 dollars.

I have been making Gazpacho three times a week, canning and roasting.

The tomatoes are SO sweet this year from the drought( which is destroying the corn) you remember, oh, yes, tomatoes ARE fruits... wow.

Joan and Bill Baker will have their fabulous lamb this week -- they were NOT there last week, sorry.

Robin

Lots of peaches (including doughnut peaches,, nectarines, blackberries, early eating apples.

Truck Patch will be there with good pork and heirloom tomatoes as well as his greens and cantaloupes.

I just want to thank you for continuing to update this thread. The Bethesda market is my "home" market but it is really nice to to see what's happening in other places and your lists of things have given me stuff to watch out for and try...torpedo onions! Who knew?

Thanks!

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I just want to thank you for continuing to update this thread. The Bethesda market is my "home" market but it is really nice to to see what's happening in other places and your lists of things have given me stuff to watch out for and try...torpedo onions! Who knew?

Thanks!

Garlic afficianados should know that the wool ladies at the Dupont Market had their rare and obscure bulbs for sale today. Well worth the somewhat breathtaking (for garlic) prices to have your own little taste test.

This usually only lasts a couple of weeks, so git on down!

I'm on the pavement

Kingstowne farmers market was bustling yesterday. The peaches from Allenberg Orchard are fantastic, as are the many varieties of tomatoes. The prices can't be beat and are a whole bunch less than what you pay at Dupont. There was a line 20 deep for those peaches yesterday! Totally worth it.

I also got some pastries from Cenan's Bakery (Vienna) and highly recommend the coffee cake and any of the croissants. Here's the bounty:

gallery_24065_1826_739963.jpg

Some of that corn will go into Ina Gartens cheddar corn chowder, and some will go into succotash with the shelled lima beans.

Mount Vernon on Tuesday had all the summer staples and the start of the fall. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, white and yellow peaches, and my favorite take of the day, baby sweet potatoes!