• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good mail-order source for scallops?

abadoozy

My husband's 50th birthday is approaching, and I'm looking for a good source for scallops. Locally, there's nothing other than tasteless frozen scallops available, and as scallops are one of the few types of seafood he can eat (he's allergic to most everything else), I'd like to get some really high quality ones shipped in.

I know there's a bunch of places on the web that offer them, but I'd like some recommendations if anyone has any.

Thanks!

The only place to order from is Browne Trading http://www.brownetrading.com . They will get you 'Diver scallops' fished that day and sent to you overnight. They are so fresh and good, they can be eaten raw. Be aware that availablity is subject to weather, so order ahead. Browne Trading services the best restaurants in the US. I order a gallon can and freeze in packets.

The reason that scallops are unsuitable is that they are soaked in a chemical to aid preservation rendering them tasteless and unable to be browned in butter.-Dick

Yeah, I knew about the chemical preservative.

So these freeze OK? I'd assumed that freezing would be bad for them. We've given up eating scallops since we moved to this area where they're not available and shipping them in is prohibitively expensive for all but special occasions. If they can be frozen, scallops may be on the menu again! Yay!

Catalina and Browne are both awesome. Since they both ship overnight, if you plan it right, you can get your shipment the day of (or day before if need be) cooking and you won't have to freeze them.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child