• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rules of the Restaurant Universe

Teri Everitt

I managed to trigger one today:

An hour before guests are slated to arrive for your dinner party, you discover the oven is non-functional. Luckily, it was just the pilot light was out and everything ended up going smoothly.

PS: I am a guy.

• 3 weeks later...

(This has happened to me running an oyster special. You stand around for 2 and a half hours with your thumb up your ass and then, Boom! You are 25 dozen oysters behind)

That is a truly disturbing image ...

If you have a coupon for it, you don't want it.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! I love this thread.

As I have experienced all of the above.

My co-worker sous was all hot under the collar the other day as he finally had a moment to take a break and when he got to the dumpster and located a few milk crates to sit on, his last cigarette was broken in half. He smoked the half that was still attached to the filter.

I have also experienced the pastry gripes. The broken this or that which suddenly conks out after signing off on the repair invoice, on a weekend when all repairman know how to hit the ignore on their cells.

The POS that crashes during mid-dinner service on Saturday.

I walk into work each and every day and wonder: is Murphy's law with or against me today?

If I find some new, funny situations that are a bit of a rant in the heat of the moment, I will add them as they occur.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my all time favorites is when a guest or client decides to change the BEO at the very last second. After a few days of prep and ordering product, then they decide to either change the guest numbers or the menu.

At the end of the day, it's all about good food!

The AC went out on sat. In twenty some odd years I have NEVER seen an AC go down on a mon morn. It is ALLWAYS sat night when the place is rockin' and you are a wee hungover so you are sweating, oozing cuban rum.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Everyone gets hit hard during a heat wave. Pantry doubly so.

"STOP! ORDERING! OYSTERS!"

And concerning attempts at getting broken A/C or fridge units fixed, I keep telling my superiors how I could just show up, look around, then disappear and not come back for only half what they get charged by the repair crews. I'm expecting them to take me up on my offer any day now.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-