• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parsley Salad

dockhl

I really like parsley a lot but have never made a Parsley Salad. I googled one from Alton Brown, and there are lots for taboulleh but I was looking for something that someone can recommend personally. (No luck searching "Parsley Salad" or even "Parsley" on eGullet)

I think Daniel had shown one in the Dinner thread once. (BTW, where IS Daniel?)

Any ideas?

I love parsley salad. But I love a mixed herb salad even more - maybe 3 parts parsley and 1 part each of coriander, dill and mint. With all those fragrant flavor going on it doesn't need much more than a simple lemon juice/olive oil vinaigrette.

With just parsley, I like some very thinly sliced red onion.

parsley and chickpea is also a great combination.

edited to add: see here for parsley topic (with some salad ideas)

Edited by Chufi (log)

Here's one of my favorite salads from Gustaf Anders which sadly is gone from So. Cal.

Parsley Salad with Basil Dressing Gustaf Anders

1 small shallot, minced

¼ garlic clove, minced

¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves

½ cup rice wine vinegar

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

4 cups fresh parsley leaves, rinsed and spun dry

4 teaspoons drained and thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes

6 cherry tomatoes

4 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan

freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a blender blend the shallot, garlic, basil and vinegar. With the motor running, add the oil in a stream and blend until emulsified.

In a salad bowl, mix the parsley, sun dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and Parmesan. Drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons of the dressing. Toss well and season with salt and pepper.

Serves 2 to 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

I really like parsley a lot but have never made a Parsley Salad. I googled one from Alton Brown, and there are lots for taboulleh but I was looking for something that someone can recommend personally. (No luck searching "Parsley Salad" or even "Parsley" on eGullet)

I think Daniel had shown one in the Dinner thread once. (BTW, where IS Daniel?)

Any ideas?

There is a wonderful carrot and parsley salad in "Moosewood Cooks at Home". It's basically shredded carrot, a ton of chopped parsley, and a dressing of lemon, garlic, and cumin. The parsley-cumin combination is really delicious; slightly smokey and sharp.

PM me if you would like the recipe, but it's pretty easy to improvise.

The best herb salad I've ever had was a Po back in the day before Mario was a household word. I did some quick searching and I think this is as close as any of them come to my fond memory of it. I wish I had all of the ingredients and I'd make one right now.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I love parsley salad. But I love a mixed herb salad even more - maybe 3 parts parsley and 1 part each of coriander, dill and mint. With all those fragrant flavor going on it doesn't need much more than a simple lemon juice/olive oil vinaigrette.

With just parsley, I like some very thinly sliced red onion.

parsley and chickpea is also a great combination.

edited to add: see here for parsley topic (with some salad ideas)

The mixed herb salad sounds perfect.

Why the heck, when I searched for "parsley", didn't that thread come up? :angry:

Here's one of my favorite salads from Gustaf Anders which sadly is gone from So. Cal.

Parsley Salad with Basil Dressing Gustaf Anders

1 small shallot, minced

¼ garlic clove, minced

¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves

½ cup rice wine vinegar

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

4 cups fresh parsley leaves, rinsed and spun dry

4 teaspoons drained and thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes

6 cherry tomatoes

4 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan

freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a blender blend the shallot, garlic, basil and vinegar. With the motor running, add the oil in a stream and blend until emulsified.

In a salad bowl, mix the parsley, sun dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and Parmesan. Drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons of the dressing. Toss well and season with salt and pepper.

Serves 2 to 4

Gustaf Anders

One of my old favorites. So sad to see it gone :sad:

This salad sounds great. Copied ! Thanks. :wink:

There is a wonderful carrot and parsley salad in "Moosewood Cooks at Home". It's basically shredded carrot, a ton of chopped parsley, and a dressing of lemon, garlic, and cumin. The parsley-cumin combination is really delicious; slightly smokey and sharp.

PM me if you would like the recipe, but it's pretty easy to improvise.

Lemon, garlic, cumin.........food of the Gods ! I love that combination. Good suggestion. I'll just leave out the carrots :biggrin:

The best herb salad I've ever had was a Po back in the day before Mario was a household word.  I did some quick searching and I think this is as close as any of them come to my fond memory of it.  I wish I had all of the ingredients and I'd make one right now.

Yum ! Makes me want some lobster...... :laugh:

There is a wonderful carrot and parsley salad in "Moosewood Cooks at Home". It's basically shredded carrot, a ton of chopped parsley, and a dressing of lemon, garlic, and cumin.

In the same vein, here's a carrot-parsley salad recipe. It's from a magazine interview with Alice Waters many years ago.

Make a gremolata of 1 bunch parsley, chopped; the grated rind of one lemon; and 1 garlic clove, crushed. Add the gremolata to shredded or grated carrots (I usually use about 3 large carrots for this recipe). Moisten the salad with a vinaigrette dressing.

You could also substitute Moroccan preserved lemon for the fresh lemon rind in this recipe or blurby's. That's another classic combination, especially with cumin.

Jacques Pepin has one in his "Fast Food My Way" book that I've not made, but saw him make on the show. It looked very yummy. Maybe its on the web??? PM me if you'd like me to send you the recipe if you don't have the book, or can't find it online.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Jacques Pepin has one in his "Fast Food My Way" book that I've not made, but saw him make on the show.  It looked very yummy.  Maybe its on the web???  PM me if you'd like me to send you the recipe if you don't have the book, or can't find it online.

Was that the Summer Salad Sante?

Was that the Summer Salad Sante?

Nope, it's the "Parsley and Pumpkin Seed Salad" on page 72. Its got anchovies, grated carrots & hard-cooked eggs in it as well, and its served on a big slice of toasted country bread. In the episode of the show where I saw him make it, he said you can make the salad part several hourst to a day in advance, and it gets better as the flavors blend and the parsley softens.

*MENTAL NOTE*, I really need to make it soon.....

Edit to finish the thought interupted by a cheesy keyboard and too-long nails.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"