• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ideal temperature

helenas

I don't like my drinks straight from fridge; maybe this is one of the reasons i don't drink white wines.

But how do you prefer your beer? This is a quote i found:

"...The ideal beer temperature is a subject of debate in pubs all around the world, the Yanks and Aussies like their beer nearly frozen, us Brits seem to think room temperature (or sometimes even body temperature) is best, and the rest of the world is somewhere in between. Beer should not be cooled or warmed too quickly, the taste will suffer. Hot water and freezers are taboo! If your beer is cloudy or hazy, the storage temperature was to low. Allow it to stand in a warm

place a few minutes before opening and the cloudiness will disappear. When beer is too cold, it will not form a proper head. When beer is too warm, it foams too much at first, losing its sparkle. That's why warm beer tastes stale..."

Agree/disagree?

Well Tommy's right of course. The reason Aussies and Americans drink their beer almost frozen is that they mostly drink lager and warm lager is foul, especially on a hot day.

Having only been in the UK for a few years, I'm getting used to drinking not-almost-frozen beer because it's more interesting than generic lagers. However, I am guilty of buying bottles of Hobgoblin, Tanglefoot, etc, from the supermarket, putting them in my fridge at home and then drinking them "too" cold.

Back when I was an (illegal) employee of Piels beer, they recommendend 45 degrees farenheit. The delivery team was supposed to check.

(Even met Bob and Ray, gotta be 1966 or so)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Back when I was an (illegal) employee of Piels beer, they recommendend 45 degrees farenheit. The delivery team was supposed to check.

(Even met Bob and Ray, gotta be 1966 or so)

isn't piels one of those fine lagers that suggests "serve *very* cold"? always good sign. :blink:

yes...

piels and schaefer were both recommended to be served extra cold.

My uncle ed, an oldtime Bud distributor, maintained that the "spanish people" wanted beer ice cold. That was a problem for him since mr busch wanted HISBEER served 55 degrees or else.

He kept his sales numbers up, and no flunkies ever stuck their dipstiks up his (beer?)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I only drink beer on a very hot day in the summer usually and it has to be ice cold. Now of course I'll offend true beer lovers everywhere by also saying I like to put tomato juice in mine. (ducking)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.