• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Last Bottle of Inner Beauty Real Hot Sauce

Chris Amirault

Hi,

Thanks for the additional info, and for the Google research. It's interesting that you dug up some info on Sweet Papaya Mustard through Google. I could fine not a trace, but maybe my Google skills are not up to snuff. Well, at least that means I hopefully wasn't just hallucinating the existence of Sweet Papaya Mustard. It does sound likely that the less hot version of the Hot Sauce could be in the ballpark of what I knew as Sweet Papaya Mustard. Wonder if it was a different product, or just a re-branding of the less hot version of the sauce. I also love the taste of the "Real" hot sauce, but the Sweet Papaya Mustard was great in almost ketchup-like quantities on chicken sandwiches and the like. Something like that would be dangerous with the hot sauce. Thanks again! Might try my hand at Googling again, see if I can find what you found...

Ah, so I did another Google search, this time with quotes around "Sweet Papaya Mustard" and found a "Massachusetts Specialty Products Directory" from 1995 that lists all the Inner Beauty products at the time, which include the Hot sauce, Real Hot Sauce, Sweet Papaya Mustard and Blue Marlin Fish Sauce, which I had forgotten about (and didn't use much). Have now confirmed it wasn't all in my head. Now I'm curious if there is any way to find out what the ingredients were in the Sweet Papaya Mustard. I imagine not. Who ran the Inner Beauty company back then? Was it Chris Schlesinger...?

Edited by innerbooty
additional comments (log)

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2017 at 0:38 PM, innerbooty said:

Hi,

Thanks for the additional info, and for the Google research. It's interesting that you dug up some info on Sweet Papaya Mustard through Google. I could fine not a trace, but maybe my Google skills are not up to snuff. Well, at least that means I hopefully wasn't just hallucinating the existence of Sweet Papaya Mustard. It does sound likely that the less hot version of the Hot Sauce could be in the ballpark of what I knew as Sweet Papaya Mustard. Wonder if it was a different product, or just a re-branding of the less hot version of the sauce. I also love the taste of the "Real" hot sauce, but the Sweet Papaya Mustard was great in almost ketchup-like quantities on chicken sandwiches and the like. Something like that would be dangerous with the hot sauce. Thanks again! Might try my hand at Googling again, see if I can find what you found...

Ah, so I did another Google search, this time with quotes around "Sweet Papaya Mustard" and found a "Massachusetts Specialty Products Directory" from 1995 that lists all the Inner Beauty products at the time, which include the Hot sauce, Real Hot Sauce, Sweet Papaya Mustard and Blue Marlin Fish Sauce, which I had forgotten about (and didn't use much). Have now confirmed it wasn't all in my head. Now I'm curious if there is any way to find out what the ingredients were in the Sweet Papaya Mustard. I imagine not. Who ran the Inner Beauty company back then? Was it Chris Schlesinger...?

That is the name I've heard. Don't know him personally. 

• 4 months later...

So I finally got my hands on a bottle of the current "Todd's Inner Beauty" version. And I'm glad to say that it's really good. It tastes much more like I remember the Inner Beauty REAL Hot Sauce tasting, which I preferred to their regular Hot Sauce. In the intervening years I had searched various boards around the web for what people had considered the closest other commercially available hot sauces in flavor to the original Inner Beauty sauces. The ones that were repeatedly mentioned were Rasta Fire Hot Hot Hot, and Lottie's Yellow. The Rasta Fire was actually fairly close to what I remembered and quite good, with a notable habanero/Scotch Bonnet flavor to it. The Lottie's was more specifically mustardy and less integrated than I remembered the Inner Beauty (or the Rasta Fire). Lottie's does also make a red version called "Original" that has no mustard, but I haven't tried that, as it seemed a different style. 

Anyway, since I now have the Lottie's and the new Todd's Inner Beauty, I was able to do a side by side taste test, and for me the Todd's Inner Beauty is the clear winner. It's very balanced, with a bit of sweetness (presumably from the papaya and tropical fruit elements), and the mustard works as part of the whole without dominating. The Lottie's is good, but definitely more of a mustard sauce, and to my palate not nearly as special or as versatile. The Todd's is quite hot, and much closer to the former Inner Beauty Real Hot vs Inner Beauty regular. I feel like I successfully time traveled. I highly suggest getting some of the Todd's Inner Beauty, which can be had on Amazon (shipped from Todd's) or directly from Todd's on the web. 

• Like 2

I learned about Todd's here and as a lover of good hot sauce, I ordered a bottle.  It is the best I’ve ever tasted.

i now have two more bottles on order, I want to put it on everything.

• Like 1