• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

LPShanet

LPShanet

Corrections

5 hours ago, innerbooty said:

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I'd actually stumbled across that in my travels. But I think that's the original recipe for the Inner Beauty Hot Sauce, which I had thought about undertaking in the past. But Todd's new version means now I don't have to. What I am really curious about is if anyone can shed any light on the Sweet Papaya Mustard mystery. Todd seemed to think there had been two versions of Inner Beauty, one less hot than the other. I don't recall that. And this "other" sauce had it's own name. But maybe the Sweet Papaya Mustard was in fact just the hot sauce with way less scotch bonnet peppers, and a new name? Again, thanks for any info anyone might have...!

I don't remember the Sweet Papaya Mustard personally, but I mostly purchased original Inner Beauty outside the Boston area at various gourmet shops that carried it. But a thorough Google search does show that Sweet Papaya Mustard existed in the early 90s. Maybe it was only distributed in a smaller area. There were, in fact, two versions of the hot sauce as well. One was called Inner Beauty Hot Sauce, and the other was called Inner Beauty Real Hot Sauce. The names are deceptively similar, but the sauces were definitely different. The regular Hot Sauce was much more mustardy, and basically tasted like it had a hot papaya mustard base, as it happens. But the Real Hot Sauce was not only hotter, but had a different flavor profile, with less acid/mustard and sugar flavor, and more actual Scotch Bonnet/habanero flavor. I preferred the Real Hot Sauce personally, even though the heat level was a bit high for use on some foods. I still have a bottle of the original regular Hot Sauce in my fridge and can confirm that it has a definite mustard and papaya flavor to it. 

LPShanet

LPShanet

5 hours ago, innerbooty said:

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I'd actually stumbled across that in my travels. But I think that's the original recipe for the Inner Beauty Hot Sauce, which I had thought about undertaking in the past. But Todd's new version means now I don't have to. What I am really curious about is if anyone can shed any light on the Sweet Papaya Mustard mystery. Todd seemed to think there had been two versions of Inner Beauty, one less hot than the other. I don't recall that. And this "other" sauce had it's own name. But maybe the Sweet Papaya Mustard was in fact just the hot sauce with way less scotch bonnet peppers, and a new name? Again, thanks for any info anyone might have...!

I don't remember the Sweet Papaya Mustard specifically, but I mostly purchased original Inner Beauty outside the Boston area at various gourmet shops that carried it. Maybe the Sweet Papaya Mustard was only in the local area, if it existed. Another thing that may be possible is that you're thinking of a description of one of the old Inner Beauty hot sauces. This is because there were, in fact, two versions of the hot sauce. One was called Inner Beauty Hot Sauce, and the other was called Inner Beauty Real Hot Sauce. The names are deceptively similar, but the sauces were definitely different. The regular Hot Sauce was much more mustardy, and basically tasted like a hot papaya mustard, as it happens. But the REAL hot sauce was not only hotter, but had a different flavor profile, with less acid/mustard and sugar flavor, and more actual Scotch Bonnet/habanero flavor. I preferred the Real Hot sauce personally, even though the heat level was a bit high for use on some foods. I still have a bottle of the original regular Hot Sauce in my fridge and can confirm that it has a definite mustard and papaya flavor to it.