• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confectionery school

annachan

I'm looking into going to Melbourne, Australia to study. I found a lead for William Angliss, which offers a confectionery program. Anyone know of this school or program? Would you recommend it?

Also, if anyone know of other similar programs in or around Melbourne Australia, please let me know!

Hi annachan,

it depends what you're after.

William Angliss is a TAFE course (Technical And Further Education) and, from what I've heard, is structured more like a uni/college program (ie., it goes over several semesters)

Alternatively, you could try Savour Chocolate school:

http://www.savourschool.com.au/

They do 1, 2, 3 and 5 day courses in pastry, chocolate and/or confectionary. I have done a few of their courses and would highly recommend.

Thanks gap!

I am looking for something that is more of a college setting, somewhere that you can get a certificate or degree. I'm actually planning to move to Australia on a student visa.

I saw Savour as well and would love to take some courses there!

• 11 years later...

On the subject of confectionery schools I just signed up for the online Savour classes, and I was very pleased with the first video I watched. Kirsten Tibballs is a great instructor, not just showing what to do to make beautiful bonbons but explaining why it's done (I never knew that the reason invert sugar extends shelf life is that it helps prevent the evaporation of water from the filling). The first video was on making tiger bonbons, and they are really striking.

The setup allows one to pick and choose which videos to watch and also permit a work-at-your-own-pace approach. The cost is 99 Australian dollars (which according to my credit card company converts to $72.50 US) for one year's access. In another post @keychris estimated there are about 18 videos relevant to the making of bonbons.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Jim D. said:

On the subject of confectionery schools I just signed up for the online Savour classes, and I was very pleased with the first video I watched. Kirsten Tibballs is a great instructor, not just showing what to do to make beautiful bonbons but explaining why it's done (I never knew that the reason invert sugar extends shelf life is that it helps prevent the evaporation of water from the filling). The first video was on making tiger bonbons, and they are really striking.

The setup allows one to pick and choose which videos to watch and also permit a work-at-your-own-pace approach. The cost is 99 Australian dollars (which according to my credit card company converts to $72.50 US) for one year's access. In another post @keychris estimated there are about 18 videos relevant to the making of bonbons.

Yes there are a lot of good techniques but don't only watch the bonbon videos. Some of the other videos use chocolate as decoration, etc and you can pick up some pointers from them as well. I remember one video where the chef demonstrates the toothbrush technique on a chocolate garnish.