• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OMG - I'm going on the Munchmobile

larryc

Unknown to me, my wife sent in an application for me to ride with the Munchmobile this summer. Much to her (and my) surprise, I got picked!

I really can't believe it - but I'm really excited!

I'll post again here after I have my adventure - although I may be sworn to secrecy about the details until the article is published. :biggrin:

Larry

And the Munchmobile is... what, exactly? I've clicked the link and don't have a very good sense.

A "NJ" thing.... sponsored by the Newark Star Ledger newspaper. Each week, they take a bunch of ordinary people and drive them across the state in a van with a giant hot-dog on top, taking them on a trip to sample food from down-home style restaurants. Each week has a theme - hot dogs, hamburgers, BBQ, etc.

You can see the hot-dog van in the background of this photo.

How'd she apply? I want on like nothing else!

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Unknown to me, my wife sent in an application for me to ride with the Munchmobile this summer.  Much to her (and my) surprise, I got picked!

I'll post again here after I have my adventure - although I may be sworn to secrecy about the details until the article is published.  :biggrin:

Larry

Larry,

CONGRATULATIONS on being selected!! I am happy to report that Amazing Hot Dog has also been selected in a way. We have been asked to cater the Munchmobile Kickoff party. We are humbled by Pete Genovese's consideration in this capacity. It is a great honor, albeit a bittersweet one. It has been catered by Syd's over the past few years, and I grew up eating Syd's hot dogs. I am mourning the loss of this iconic hot dog joint that has paved the way for new guys like us. It may sound bizzare that a business man is saddened by the closing of a competitor, but there is enough room for everybody in this business.

Anyway Larry, If you are attending the launch party, please introduce yourself to us.

Eric--Amazing Hot Dog

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

How'd she apply?  I want on like nothing else!

She told me she had to email an essay as to why I would be ideal for the Munchmobile. Guess she did a great job :laugh:

Unfortunately, I think the deadline was last Friday.

Eric - I haven't heard about a kickoff party yet, but if I do attend I'll be sure to look for you!

Unknown to me, my wife sent in an application for me to ride with the Munchmobile this summer.  Much to her (and my) surprise, I got picked!

I'll post again here after I have my adventure - although I may be sworn to secrecy about the details until the article is published.   :biggrin:

Larry

Larry,

CONGRATULATIONS on being selected!! I am happy to report that Amazing Hot Dog has also been selected in a way. We have been asked to cater the Munchmobile Kickoff party. We are humbled by Pete Genovese's consideration in this capacity. It is a great honor, albeit a bittersweet one. It has been catered by Syd's over the past few years, and I grew up eating Syd's hot dogs. I am mourning the loss of this iconic hot dog joint that has paved the way for new guys like us. It may sound bizzare that a business man is saddened by the closing of a competitor, but there is enough room for everybody in this business.

Anyway Larry, If you are attending the launch party, please introduce yourself to us.

Eric--Amazing Hot Dog

Your existence and elevation of the hot dog is a great tribute to Syd's in a way. And I'm sure those dogs will continue to inspire you guys at AHD.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Larry,

Congrats! I applied to Munchmobile...only in my dreams! I'm glad that your wife took the hot dog by the horns and nominated you. I will rely on you to carry the Egullet torch throughout NJ. Enjoy, and I look forward to your posts.

• 3 weeks later...

Middle Eastern tour... ;-; I wish I could have gotten on for that. Too bad they're probably not taking applications anymore.

Did they tell you where you'd be going? Even just city-wise?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Crazy 'tho it might sound, I hope that Beyond Pita in Montclair is on the tour! LOVE their falafel. And the hummus. :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I hope Sultan Gyro in Lyndhurst is open by then! They finally got their awning up with the name and website. They're catty-corner to my apartment and it'd be nice to get some press on the modest, but expanding, Lyndhurst food scene.

I hope Sultan Gyro in Lyndhurst is open by then!  They finally got their awning up with the name and website.  They're catty-corner to my apartment and it'd be nice to get some press on the modest, but expanding, Lyndhurst food scene.

i just noticed the sign today coming home from work

perhaps some of us in are can go for lunch/dinner

Hey, congrats, Larry--it should be a fun jaunt--it wouldn't be too hard to eat a lot of Middle Eastern food--unlike some of the other categories in the past.

Look forward to your report.

And Eric--read the report of the kick off party--it sounds as though your dogs were a big hit!

Wow, lots of good restaurant suggestions here. You can let the Munchmobile people know your suggestions by emailing pgenovese@starledger.com or calling the Munchmobile hotline at 973.392.1765 and say which trip it's for.

I just mailed in a gilded recommendation for Toros in Clifton. I sincerely hope you get to eat there, because they're the best Turkish, period.

Also, the Munchmobile has a Youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=munchmobile2007

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! I just saw that roving hot dog this past Wed on Broadway in Hillsdale near Hillsdale Ave! I wonder where they were en route to then. I did see it say Munchmobile but had no clue about it. I feel better now that's been answered. ;D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My trip on the Munchmobile was a blast. We met at the Star Ledger at 10:30 in the morning and I didn't get home till 10:30 at night. Overall we hit five restaurants. For those wondering, the restaurants do not know we are coming (in fact, Peter decides at the last minute where to head); however once we got to each restaurant we told them who we were (no anonymous reviews are possible when you arrive in a van with a hot dog on top)

The places we hit were:

• Sultan Gyro in Lyndhurst - Thanks to whomever (MJP?) from egullet recommended this place; it was great!
  • Tabboule in Ridgewood
  • King of Shish Kabob in West Paterson
  • Kabob Paradise in Lake Hiawatha
  • Sahara in New Brunswick

I have to say I didn't pace myself enough, even though they warned us! :biggrin: I tried to hold back at the first two places; by the third I was getting full and by the fourth I hardly wanted to eat :shock: (but I did try to taste everything!) There was a long drive to the fifth and final place so I thankfully got some time to digest.

Peter posted a live blog from our trip here; My "review" will be posted as well when the article comes out in two weeks. I'll definitely be heading back to some of these restaurants (just not for a while; I'm still middle-east'ed out.)

Yes! You guys made it to Sultan! They could use the press as they just recently opened... Tabboule is fabulous too as is King, they make a killer Syrian sausage.

SO jealous! :-D

• 2 weeks later...