• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

port

Jean Blanchard

I need to buy a decent bottle of port and I'm clueless.  In the range of $60.00, can I get something good?  Recommendations?

Jean

Other may know better but I think you might have trouble getting a full bottle of vintage port that's not way too young to drink for $60.

On the other hand Graham's makes a non-vintage blended Port called 6 Grapes which I find quite tasty, and it retails for about $25. Makes a fine accompaniment to a wedge of Stilton.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Could you be more specific what you are looking for?

A gift? To drink now? To accompany a specific dish?

Under that price range, you could get a fine Tawny Port, any one of the Non-Vintage ports, (like the 6 Grapes busboy mentions,) from the major producers, or a Late Bottled Vintage Port.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

In terms of a readily-available port that many people like, I often recommend Fonseca Bin 27. I have discovered that a lot of people prefer ruby to a tawny port. So when I am taking a bottle of port to an event, and I don't know the tastes of the people there, Bin 27 is my usual choice.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Could you be more specific what you are looking for?

A gift?  To drink now?  To accompany a specific dish?

Under that price range, you could get a fine Tawny Port, any one of the Non-Vintage ports, (like the 6 Grapes busboy mentions,) from the major producers, or a Late Bottled Vintage Port.

This is a gift for my husband and he'll want to drink now. He's had some port, dining in restaurants but basically, it's a newly acquired taste. So what would you recommend for someone who is enjoying port but hasn't had much experience with it yet. Thanks for all of your input.

jb

I like the LBV's (late bottled vintage port) but only those that are bottled 4 years after vintage, such as Warre's or Smith Woodhouse. $25 is typical. They throw a deposit and may need decanting. The other LBV's are filtered and bottled after six years, and are not usually as good.

If you need to spend $60, get a tawny rather vintage.

Edited by jayt90 (log)

Get a 20-year Tawny Port. Many consider that the best age for tawny port. And many are very good (and habit-forming). In your price range, consider Taylor Fladgate's 20-year Tawny.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I second the Taylor's Fladgate. I went to a wine paring last fall where it was served with a flourless chocolate cake. It was incredibly good. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. It is about $45 at my discount wine store.

Stop Family Violence

Get a 20-year Tawny Port.  Many consider that the best age for tawny port.  And many are very good (and habit-forming).  In your price range, consider Taylor Fladgate's 20-year Tawny.

In addition to the "habit-forming" aspect, a Tawny Port is generally forgiving if you choose not to finish the whole bottle at once.

Once a port is opened, how long does it last?

Opinions vary, but if stored somewhere cellar-like, about a month. Some will say as much as three months, but I think you'll detect a change in it by that time.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

For $60 US I can get five litres (1.3 gallons) of my go-to fortified wine Andres Private Stock Ruby Port which in my estimation is an outstanding value. Unfortunately I doubt its available outside of Canada, so I guess thats not too helpful. I can say that there are tons of affordable ports out there and one ought not ignore those $10-20 US Portuguese Portos.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 5 weeks later...

Brad B is right ... for a non-vintage port, once opened about a month under OK storage conditions. If you have a VacuVan or some other device to suck air out of the bottle, you can easily get 3 months. Tawny ports are pretty forgiving in this aspect, since they've done most of their oxidizing in the vat for their 6 years or so.

LBV (Late Bottled Vintage) is another choice ... these are ports from a single year's harvest that are of vintage or subvintage quality, but usually in a year where a vintage is not declared (vintages are declared about 3 times in a decade), and since vintage port must (by law) be bottled 2 years after the vintage is harvested, wine for LBV is stored in cask longer (usually 4-6 years), then bottled (hence the "late" in LBV). LBVs are ready for drinking when they're bottled or they can be aged for a short while (up to 10 years, nothing like the 40-70 years of a great vintage port).

The tawnies, like the Taylor Fladgate, are blends of ports of varying ages, so a "20 year" old tawny will have mostly 20 year old port, but also a mix of some very old stuff and some very young stuff. Here, the blender's art is what counts in creating the flavor.

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

BTW, if your husband is becoming interested, there are all sorts of wonderful books and websites devoted to port ... and you should plan a vacation to Portugal!!

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

BTW, if your husband is becoming interested, there are all sorts of wonderful books and websites devoted to port ... and you should plan a vacation to Portugal!!

A trip to Portugal is definitely in the near future. He is very much enjoying his port and sharing with friends after dinner and I'm thinking that I need to pair it with a dessert. We were planning on Spain/Portugal next year anyway but this just adds a new dimension. Thanks to everybody for all of your advice.

Jean