• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So I hear that morels are in season at the moment. My girlfriend was tipped off by a friend of her dad's who apparently knew just the spot and just where and how to look for them. Out on Highway 97.

Hours later and miles covered, we had come up with nothing. An older couple we passed off the trail had found a handful and a bunch of these crazy bright orange mushies that looked like brains. They pointed us in the direction they found them but they eluded us again.

Have any of you guys gone hunting for mushrooms?

What kinds?

Where did you find them?

What do you look for?

Any tips?

I realize that a lot of people keep these places to themselves like heirlooms, so I'm expecting a treasure map. Just looking for some pointers. I love me some morels.

Thanks,

Marc

I have been out in the Cle Elum area the last two Fridays and despite the weatherman saying it's been raining on the east side of the Cascades, not much has changed.

Yesterday there was rain on the west side of the Pass, a fresh dusting of snow on the pass and sun on the east. In my "secret" patches there were the stubs from Verpas I picked the week before. Trillums are turing purple, needles are to the bothersome height the vine maples are starting to leaf out, but not much has changed with the morels.

We need thunder, lighting and an ozone change, rain and some warm nights before we're going to see any morels.

Keep hunting and keep spending $50 for gas to go from West to East. Morels were $40 a pound in the Pike Street Market and looked pretty good when compared to gas and wear and tear on my body.

Dave

I actually got some morels at Uwajimaya almost a month ago. They were pretty cheap, and when I got home I found out why. A bunch of them were moldy. They were packaged in very small groups so I just threw away the moldy ones. However, I actually ended up getting slightly sick eating them. Yuck. Oh well, they didn't cost much.

I can not tell you where I find morels!! but what I can tell you is...

under pine trees and where there has been a fire the previous year

get a good guide book or visit a mushroom club and you can get tips ..but other than telling you where to buy them ..where you find them exactly if you want to hunt them...well that is part of the fun!

good luck!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet