• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] 219 West

MissAmy

Last night, I had a joyus little get together with my sister and step mom at 219 West. While I had always over-looked this place in my frequent jaunts to 4th Street in the past, I'm really glad someone else encouraged me to go.

I was really impressed with the wine selection, as well as the cocktails. I had a mango mojito, which sounds weird, but was very nice and refreshing after a long day at work. The mango flavor was not overpowering, and the mojito on the whole was not too sweet. My step mother had a classic dirty martini that was mixed very well, and my sister had a nice merlot with just the right amount of fruitiness.

The menu is interesting. It is divided up into types of cuisine, so it takes a little perusing, but once you get used to it, it makes a lot of sense. We had grilled asparagus with sauteed crab, beef carpachio, and cevice. All were nice, the cevice in particular was very interesting, with the addition of sweet olives, and it was served with fried plantains. For desert we had a blueberry bread pudding with whiskey sauce. It came topped with a whiskey mousse, which I didn't particularly care for, but on the whole it made a nice end to the meal.

Have any other eGulleters been to 219 West? I had always written it off as yet another over-priced yuppie joint, but was pleasantly surprised. The jazz band was nice and mellow, too, and not too loud. It was a fun excursion and I will definitely go back.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Yeah, there were definitely some boring sounding things on the menu. Cheese fries? Please. I'm not at Sonic. However, they do have some interesting things, and even beyond what we had. There are a few things on the menu I would definitely like to try.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I like 219 West, it's something of a default stop for some of my friends and I to get a bite when out on the town...you're right, it's a nice setting but quite unpretentious (they serve corn dogs after all), the dishes I've tried have mostly been pretty good. They have a genrerous Happy Hour - it runs something like 5-9PM weeknights, with all appetizers 1/2 price, drink specials etc. - and I think the servers and bartenders do a consistently good job, unlike at a number of similar places in town.

Edited by walternewton (log)

I go there all the time with work people since it's close, and it's definitely one of the better places for drinks and snacks in the warehouse district. We all love the seafood beignets, but the night we had the ceviche, it was BLAND. I've stumped the bartender with a Manhattan before ("What's in that, again?") but if you stick to the menu you'll have a good experience.

Other suggestions for that area:

The Lavaca Street Bar hosts ESPN Radio on Fridays during happy hour, with a free nacho bar that is rumored to be supplied by the Belmont. It's standard, but pretty high quality (and free!)

The Six Taproom has a long happy hour like 219 but a smaller menu. They are a good place to go if 219 is too crowded. I happen to think the food is slightly better, but I haven't ordered everything on the menu yet.

I still contend the best deal in town is Ruth's Chris' happy hour (5-6:50) with $5 anything-you-can-think-to-call martinis and 1/2 price appetizers in the bar.

I *don't* like the happy hours at Saba, Cuba Libre or the Belmont.

• 3 months later...

I think that 219 West is one of the better happy hour values.

Shrimp ceviche was too sweet. Beef carpaccio was too salty. Mushroom fondue is not actually a fondue but a ramekin of melted cheese, mushrooms and ground beef -- though this was quite tasty.

Not the best food, but the bill was dirt cheap.