• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Ethiopian in DC?

Given the huge number of times people bring up Ethiopian as one of DC's dining strengths, I'm surprised there's not a thread devoted to it...

A friend who's traveling to DC has asked me to find out if there's any consensus on the best Ethiopian, or at least a short list. So what do you all think?

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Given the huge number of times people bring up Ethiopian as one of DC's dining strengths, I'm surprised there's not a thread devoted to it...

A friend who's traveling to DC has asked me to find out if there's any consensus on the best Ethiopian, or at least a short list.  So what do you all think?

The "Little Ethiopia" area of DC is the 9th and U Street Corridor, there are quite a few Ethiopian restaurants there.

My favorites are Etete and Dukem (both in the U Street corridor) and Queen Makeda (which unfortunately, I believe is currently closed) One of the oldest and still pretty good is Meskereem in Adams-Morgan. I also like Addis Ababa, on Fenton Street in Silver Spring, MD.

Edited by dinwiddie (log)

Although it's the consensus favorite, my one experience at Etete was dramatically underwhelming. Might have been an off night. I'm also pretty sure that Meskerem peaked and went into a modest decline several years back. Dukem, however is quite good. And a friend of mine who has solid cred in this area -- his daughter is studying Ahmaric in Ethiopia and he just got back from three weeks there -- agrees with my wife and daughter that Abiti (on 9th down towards T) is tops.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Addis Ababa is solid, with very good injera. It's not actually in the city, but just over the line on Fenton Street in downtown SS. Another place worth mentioning in downtown SS is Langano - a friend from Ethiopia prefers Langano's greens and kitfo to Addis Ababa, FWIW.

I had dinner at Etete about a month ago and it was very good, much better than my last meal at Dukem. Haven't been to Abiti yet.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
And Charles, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that great little pastry shop next door to Queen M?  Small selection but good quality on what they had.

Yes -- although the name escapes me at the moment. Much more French than Ethiopian (though the owner is much more Ethiopian than French).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

And Charles, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that great little pastry shop next door to Queen M?  Small selection but good quality on what they had.

Yes -- although the name escapes me at the moment. Much more French than Ethiopian (though the owner is much more Ethiopian than French).

Chez Hareg. 1915 9th St, NW. Very good stuff.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Dukem this morning for lunch after a visit to Ben's Chili Bowl (which was good)across the road. (Btw never heard of Dukem before, first time in D.C just happened to stroll around) Took them little bit over 20 minutes to make my beef tib dish. Only thing memorable about that meal was the twenty minute wait. Beef was very overcooked and tough. Bread was alright, little too sour for my taste. Their dukem sauce tasted somewhat bitter and off (though may be made this way, first time trying). Somewhat like a mole if you will.

Jim

gallery_41917_5935_34074.jpg

gallery_41917_5935_40942.jpg

Edited by stealw (log)

• 1 month later...
Addis Ababa is solid, with very good injera.  It's not actually in the city, but just over the line on Fenton Street in downtown SS.  Another place worth mentioning in downtown SS is Langano - a friend from Ethiopia prefers Langano's greens and kitfo to Addis Ababa, FWIW.

We're going to one of these places tomorrow evening for my birthday dinner. would anyone be kind enough to weigh in on which one we should try?

Thanks ever.

• 3 years later...

Queen Makeda is great, especially from a value-for-money standpoint. The quantity of tej they serve is staggering.

Also, Shashemene is quite good, as is this basement place, Little Ethiopia.

Etete is of course great, but the best thing there is the Ethiopian coffee ceremony, unavailable most other places.

(All locations on 9th St. On 14th &...Q?, Lalibela is pretty good too)