• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Thanks, everyone.  I wrote to the chef from whom I got the recipe and he said he has not had any luck finding candlenuts in this city, and we do have a number of Asian grocers.  I checked with the biggest one and they looked at me like I was asking for something from outer space.  I am in and out of these stores so will continue to check.  One thing I have learned is that they are usually kept frozen, I assume to keep them fresh.  Meanwhile, I will sub 3 macadamia nuts for the two candlenuts called for in the recipe.   The chef, BTW, imports his from the Netherlands.  If he wasn't an hour and 20 minutes away by car,  I'd go out and ask him for a couple. The ingredients called for in this recipe are:  sweet green pepper (an oxymoron if I ever heard one), eggplant, green beans, bamboo shoots, cabbage, onion, garlic, coriander, laos powder, the elusive candlenuts, shrimp paste, salt, water coconut milk.

ElsieD

ElsieD

Thanks, everyone.  I wrote to the chef from whom I got the recipe and he said he has not had any luck finding candlenuts in this city, and we do have s number of Asian grocers.  I checked with the biggest one and they looked at me like I was asking for something from outer space.  I am in and out of these stores so will continue to check.  One thing I have learned is that they are usually kept frozen, I assume to keep them fresh.  Meanwhile, I will sub 3 macadamia nuts for the two called for in the recipe.   The chef, BTW, imports his from the Netherlands.  If he wasn't an hour and 20 minutes away by car,  I'd go out and ask him for a couple. The ingredients call for in this recipe are:  sweet green pepper (an oxymoron if I ever heard one), eggplant, green beans, bamboo shoots, cabbage, onion, garlic, coriander, laos powder, the elusive candlenuts, shrimp paste, salt, water coconut milk.