• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Season 3

KristiB50

I'm not sure hung's a lock, I think Dale really has a shot, from what I've seen. (even though he admits he has no knife skills and can't shuck an oyster). Though after Hung and Dale, it's slim pickins. I think CJ is a good cook, but lacks finesse, and I don't think I've seen brian cook a piece of meat yet...

I think it's pretty obvious that Hung, Lia, and (arguably, to a smaller extent) Tre are the only contestants who can cook. At least, this was obvious to me since the start of the season. I am sure Hung will be in the finals, although I have no idea who he'll be competing against because I don't see any other talent left. The scene where Casey was mincing the onions was probably one of the most entertaining I've seen this season.

I liked Tre a lot, and even moreso after this episode. I'm betting he'll come back with some gig like Leanne. I'm sure he had a lot of fans, and not only because he's cute!

ETA: Dale may have cooked the poussin, but I am willing to bet anything it was Hung who plated it for the camera.

Edited by Ling (log)

I have no idea who will win, at this point. Really I have to go back and wonder if my theory about the panel choosing winners and losers based on what would make the best "storyline" is right. Because Trey was the one that most everyone would be most surprised at being eliminated. The collective sigh and shock of the audience could almost be heard even though it's a show with no live audience.

Hung was like a ninja with those birds and then again like a ninja in another way in the moment he swooped in and demanded of Sara if indeed she was going to act like an executive chef or not with accepting the others food as was, or ask that it be brought up to where it should be. In that moment, Sara did become what she was supposed to be, and it altered the shape of what went out to the tables.

Last week I was puzzled by the lack of this same attitude from Trey in his role as exec chef. This episode he did say he was going to do exactly that (be on top of everything) but then he was not, or at least they did not show him as being so.

Interesting move, CJ placing Trey in that position though he (CJ) was team leader.

Everyone seemed dead tired this show - Tom's eyes kept blinking with impatience and really a deep tiredness was coming from almost everyone. Oh. Except for Hung, of course. :biggrin:

Although we didn't see it on camera, I'm assuming that the performance last week influenced the judges' decision. Tre is super talented, but he showed poor judgement. Twice, he sent out dishes that he knew were bad. In the case of the overcooked potatoes, he could have pulled them off the plate.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Well, I was devastated to see Tre go, BUT there really was no other option. He was the executive chef of his team's restaurant: he didn't lead, he made a couple of apparently awful dishes, and let another chef's subpar dish out of the kitchen. I do expect that we'll see great things from him later on though.

Without a doubt, Tre had his screw-ups. But didn't he also make a dish or two that the judges liked best? Too many mistakes, I guess, trumped the good dishes.

I'm not really enjoying this season as much as previous ones, and I'm tired of the "chefs" that try to fly under the radar....

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Bye, Tre. Too bad and so sad. But this is a competitive reality show, not an audition. Besides, with him gone, think how much easier it will be to eliminate everyone who isn't Hung in the coming weeks. As Tom likes to say, this is Top Chef, so seeing Tre up against the likes of Sara's performance (and her conscience, Hung), showed a fatal flaw. The lack of ability to chop onions or make one damn dish that tasted good will catch up with his teammates soon enough.

Dammit, dammit, dammit. Like alot around here, I'm now at a loss on who to root for. I'd say Casey but can you really be considered a Top Chef and bumble slicing an onion like that? That's some of the most painful TV I've watched in a while, seeing Casey fall two contestants behind. Insanity.

Also painful was watching Tre make mistakes that you knew would spell his undoing. Hubris and arrogance crept in for the first time with him. Kept same items on the menu and made the sin, again, of sending out subpar food. So, I don't object to it as strongly as Lia's departure, since someone had to go, and it was clearly him. No one botched like he did this episode. But yes, it sucks that he went before so many that he can cook rings around.

Note to those left: For the love of God, no one "befriend" Casey and get really close. She's toxic. Also, no one should ever utter the line "I'm in this thing to WIN" again. Always sure doom.

Each of those left has a pretty sizeable flaw that could eliminate them at any time: there's no clear cut contenders. I think Hung has maybe the best shot, but he's so arrogant he may shoot himself in the foot on the way. Brian only cooks seafood so far. Dale has no sense of smell and says his knife skills suck. Casey can't cut an onion and half the shots of her anymore have her on the verge of tears. CJ just seems too laid back or detached. Sara was unremarkable until this episode but I got alot more respect for her. Howie . . . yeah. The previews look like next ep's pretty significant for him. Maybe those left will clue into the fact this nut's still around but Tre's gone and finally really turn against him.

Dammit, dammit, dammit.  Like alot around here, I'm now at a loss on who to root for.  I'd say Casey but can you really be considered a Top Chef and bumble slicing an onion like that?  That's some of the most painful TV I've watched in a while, seeing Casey fall two contestants behind. Insanity.

Apparently, her knife wasn't sharp (per Tom's blog).

I, too, said "Yup, one of them is gone" as soon as they focused on Tre and Casey...

I just read AB's blog, as usual, he is right on target and made me think a little more deeply. Thank you AB. Enough about Tre, he will go on to a fabulous future, I am sure.

Now, on to the others.........Will someone please tell me Who the Heck is Padma??? It is almost painful for me to watch her and I have to fight the urge to run to the ladies room and hurl!

CJ, I was rooting for for the longest time, but now........ :hmmm: I have seen a side of him that has tainted my view, anyone willing to let someone else take the fall for them is just flawed. (he took the fall with grace, dignity and as a true man should, I am proud!) Sorry CJ, you just dropped to the space above Howie, at least he is up-front about being an ass.

Ahhhhhhhhh, Howie! I am quite sure he will find himself jobless when he gets home. His attitude is not worth any amount of skills he might have in the kitchen. And he hasn't shown me much so far. IMO, he is a business killer for any restaurant. I do give him props for attempting to get along with his team-mates, he did try.

Casey is just there, minor eye-candy with some skills, just keep her away from the knives. (and the other contestants)

Sarah.....leadership skills??? Who knew! Not bad, I am with-holding judgement for now. But, can she cook?

Dale, you are sweet, I like your attitude and have seen some pretty good dishes come from you. I think he has a lot of potential to become great, just not yet. A few more years under his belt and a personal image consultant and he might just suprise everyone.

Brian??? Which one was that?

Hung. I have several roosters out back ready for the stew pot, could use your expertise, thank you. I am actually impressed with this young man. He seems to be learning from others mistakes as well as his own. While a little too adventurous and sure of concoctions, he seems to be adapting well and taking critisism to heart this last few challenges. I can't see his as an executive chef yet though. Patience young grasshopper, your time will come.

I suppose that about covers it for now. I just needed to voice my thoughts and thank you for indulging me. Still, I am not looking forward the the next episode as I once was, and I no longer have any expectations for the show. Tom, you let me down. I love ya man, but......

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I'm not really enjoying this season as much as previous ones, and I'm tired of the "chefs" that try to fly under the radar....

Yes, the flying under the radar thing. One has to wonder if it is being done strategically or merely comes as part and parcel of the personalities. Sort of the same thing but not exactly.

On the other hand, it's interesting to see which ones do pick up on the lessons being learned quickly and how they use those lessons and those others who seem to ignore Fate as it stares them in the eye.

I'm not sure if I'm glad this is the first season I've seen or not. :laugh:

Casey is just there, minor eye-candy with some skills, just keep her away from the knives. (and the other contestants)

Brenda, are you certain you weren't born and bred in the South? That's a most beautifully tailored Southern Lady sort of comment. Knife-in-glove but kind, so kind. :smile:

True, too. :biggrin:

I hope the show runs next season. I really want to have Top Chef parties with a betting pool.

Carrot Top, I can allways count on you for a good hearty giggle. Thanks!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

What did Sara win, by the way?

As far as was shown on TV.....nada

I thought I read somewhere the guest judge was responsible for the quick challenge prize. I guess he was cheap whoever he was, the name escapes me. Also I didn't care for his comments. They sounded very nasty and unnecessarily sarcastic.

From their respective blogs, it would appear that Tony Bourdain and Rocco de Spirito have patched up their differences. Both blogs are very good, well written and insightful commentaries.

Sad indeed, rediculous that Tre is gone and the likes of Howie, Sara, etc remain.

I think this elimination really calls into question the real problem with the judging of the show. Do you judge simply on the current challenges or on the contestant's body of work? Unfortunately, if judged simply on that night's performance Tre really did deserve to go home, regardless of how talented he might be and how well he performed in the past, or even that fact the remainder of the contestants were mediocre as well.

Its a shame because talent-wise he was clearly one of the top two or three in the group without question. He and Hung in the finale would have been great to see. Call him this year's Sam Talbot.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Yes, I'm tearing up my ticket because the horse I bet on had a real bad race. I guess at this point I'll jinx Hung by calling for him to win now that Tre is gone. He has seriously minimized the tool-ness that has been so excessive before, so if he can keep his head in the game, I think he'll get it. If anybody has his finger hovering over a flashing self-destruct button, though, it's Hung.

I did not give the episode an intense viewing, because it was on opposite the Sopranos, and even the A&E heavily censored version is still the best TV since the first season of Miami Vice. So I was popping in and out, and I popped out with Casey sawing away at an onion, and then popped back in after being a material witness to at least six mafia felonies, and there she was, still sawing away. I love her invective, which she apparently reserves for knife related incidents, and I blasphemed in the same way as I watched: Jesus Christ!

I agree with one thing: No More Madonna's Brother. Ever. Dale should have rouchambeaud him right in his monkey nuts the first night he was on. Then he wouldn't have come back. The guy has a constant look on his face that says: "I smell something bad, and, you know what? It's you." I hope Bravo realizes that people don't really even like Madonna all that much anymore. The time to introduce us to her family members is now closed up in a dusty closet with the english long bow, saying "23 skiddoo!", and John Kerry.

What else? I'm sure I have more after I watch the episode a few dozen times, since Bravo will give it a couple hundred reairings before now and next Wednesday.

I agree with one thing:  No More Madonna's Brother.  Ever.  Dale should have rouchambeaud him right in his monkey nuts the first night he was on.  Then he wouldn't have come back. 

Every story needs a villian, Dignan. I think this man Dick Headfoodie fits the part to a T.

The time to introduce us to her family members is now closed up in a dusty closet with the english long bow, saying "23 skiddoo!", and John Kerry.

You may have something here. Each of these three things is inextricably linked in my mind to really wierd haircuts.

Therefore I project the winner chef will be the one with the best haircut.

That would be Hung or possibly Howie because he has no hair to criticize.

Sad indeed, rediculous that Tre is gone and the likes of Howie, Sara, etc remain.

I think this elimination really calls into question the real problem with the judging of the show.  Do you judge simply on the current challenges or on the contestant's body of work?  Unfortunately, if judged simply on that night's performance Tre really did deserve to go home, regardless of how talented he might be and how well he performed in the past, or even that fact the remainder of the contestants were mediocre as well.

Its a shame because talent-wise he was clearly one of the top two or three in the group without question.  He and Hung in the finale would have been great to see.  Call him this year's Sam Talbot.

Some of us at work were talking about how one bad night can kill even the best person. One idea we discussed, (and I'm sure Bravo is waiting with bated breath for our advice :raz: ), was to have a double-elimination process. We thought instead of a quick-fire and elimination challenge, they could have two elimination challenges per show, but it takes two losses to get kicked out. The problem, of course, is that this could take much longer. Or maybe just use double-elimination once the group is down to, say, 8 contestants left. I believe this could not only save someone who is better but just has one bad showing, but could also create even more suspense.

The other option was to have a quickfire immunity be a "get out of jail free" card that could be used at any time instead of just the next elimination challenge.

I'm just gonna miss Tre's guns! :biggrin:

Edit, for, comma, usage.

Edited by Darcie B (log)

I think this elimination really calls into question the real problem with the judging of the show.  Do you judge simply on the current challenges or on the contestant's body of work?  Unfortunately, if judged simply on that night's performance Tre really did deserve to go home, regardless of how talented he might be and how well he performed in the past, or even that fact the remainder of the contestants were mediocre as well.

Its a shame because talent-wise he was clearly one of the top two or three in the group without question.  He and Hung in the finale would have been great to see.  Call him this year's Sam Talbot.

That's what's so sad about Tre's dismissal. This one bad night completely doomed him. I just knew he would be in the top 2, but last night's disaster completely screwed him out of his chance.

That's what's so sad about Tre's dismissal.  This one bad night completely doomed him.  I just knew he would be in the top 2, but last night's disaster completely screwed him out of his chance.

But it wasn't just one bad night. He was the guy who not only was supposed to be the executive chef for that restaurant both nights but who also holds that title in real life. So expectations were there that based upon him holding that title both in reality and on those two nights of competition, that he would perform that job. He did not, either night. And that brings into question whether the competition somehow affected his ability to act as an exec chef should, but there's also the dissonance of seeing someone with the title not bearing responsibilities or performing tasks which should be second nature.

If he had just taken on the task of cooking and that had been his prescibed role, then it would have been a one-night failure. But he talked the talk (however pleasantly, and he is a very personable guy) then didn't walk the walk.

Edited to add that now I have to argue with myself after writing that last paragraph because I'd forgotten how screwed-up his food was the time before, too. :sad:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)