• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Season 3

KristiB50

bolt of blah

Bolt of blah may be the next thing in fashion. One never knows. If it is, credit should definitely be given to you for inventing the phrase. :biggrin:

his or her gun and badge.

Yes, I always carry a gun and badge when giving fashion advice so do think you've got the right idea. :smile:

We were treated to a shot of Howie painstakingly ironing a shirt in his assigned boudoir before they went out.  All in all, I think they, like normal people, own clothes that aren't cooking togs and they brought some with them.  We know they aren't wearing whites 24/7, and nothing they were wearing was all that special or unusual.

Yeah, they might be like "normal people" but I am a true believer in the concept that it takes a Macchiavellian mind to create and produce "reality" TV. I'd like to give those minds full credit if they indeed deserve it. :wink:

(Edited this time because I dropped the h from Macchiavelli and we simply can not have that happening.)

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Interestingly enough, cooking as a professional chef in a restaurant kitchen is not exactly the same thing as cooking for a dinner party for friends. In terms of many things. As an executive chef I would never allow a woman cook to wear heels in the kitchen or low cut blouses for more reasons than one.

The women that we are discussing are not home cooks. They are professional chefs.

The amount of cooking they did in that roach coach was no more (in fact quite a lot less) than I do in my own kitchen when I'm cooking a buffet dinner for 30 or a 5 course plated dinner for eight. Having worked in professional kitchens, and plenty of weird cooking locations (a few times in heels and skimpy clothing--gasp--e.g. catering an adult film premiere), I can confidently say that their attire should be a non-issue (but made for great tv--the two ladies in question and Tre were a lot better eye candy out of their chef's coats).

They may be professional chefs, but they are certainly not cooking in professional kitchens for this show. They are cooking in reality show kitchens! They know what they signed up for, and as many posters already wrote, how could they not have seen that twist coming?

And I'm sorry, if you let your cleavage get burned in the kitchen (any kitchen professional or otherwise), you are doing something wrong! No oil or whatever should be flying up that high. One's chest is not that far from one's eyes, and we don't see professional chefs cooking with safety glasses.

But one poster (I forget who) is probably right--I'm sure they were allowed to switch shoes if they wanted to--a PA could have easily run back to the hotel for them while they were shopping for the ingredients! Now I want to go back and look at the episode again to see if they did change parts of their outfits.

Maybe I should post a topic on "cooking in heels" just to see how many others out there do this too? :biggrin:

Maybe I should post a topic on "cooking in heels" just to see how many others out there do this too?  :biggrin:

That would be quite a controversial topic, Anna, most particularly with any women professional chefs who might respond. :wink:

The combination of the sexuality that high-heels and low-cut blouses offer (and either the loss of gain of power of various sorts) blended with or opposed to the pre-requisite performance or image demands that various places of work require and how that all plays out particularly with women in management positions is indeed fascinating. :biggrin:

If I remember correctly Tom Colicchio said that truffles were not Italian enough in the frozen food episode.

This just in:

In his recent NY Times interview he says the following:

"Which foreign country (or region) do you most enjoy eating in?

It’s very difficult to narrow this down to one specific place, but I would have to say Piedmont, Italy, during white truffle season."

Huh. Go figure.

In the end, it's about who is the Top Chef, not top personality or top P.O.A. I hope the producers get that.
Wasn't the case in season 2. Tre seems, at least for now, to be combining the good food with less drama, so in the way he reminds me of Harold, he's my guy.

Howie and Hung are the season's asshats, clearly they can cook, but as far as winning this "contest," I think they are fatally flawed. Howie's getting more of the bad guy edit (he contributes so much to that!) and Hung is the new Marcel/Stephen, the arrogant ass, not without skills, but without a chance of going all the way. Although he is entertaining, what with his Hung-style responses to criticisms of his food.

I think if most everyone else had flopped as many chalenges as Hung, they'd have been kicked off.

I really can't tell who is going to win. Any of the guys left could pull it off. I think there's more talent this season...by that I mean Michael lasted quite a while in season 2 and was waaaaay out of his league, but Clay was kicked off first in season 3, and I see the two as a bit similar.

If I remember correctly Tom Colicchio said that truffles were not Italian enough in the frozen food episode.

This just in:

It’s very difficult to narrow this down to one specific place, but I would have to say Piedmont, Italy, during white truffle season."

Huh. Go figure.

Yes - the frozen Bertolli pasta entrees that Rocco is shilling for.

Kinda contradicts himself a bit, don't you think?! :wink:

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I watched a rerun last night, and distinctly remember seeing Casey (Jennifer Anniston hair and all) bouncing about in running shoes and dress clothes at SOME point. Don't remember when, and please don't make me watch the episode AGAIN (ya know I will.)

Also, Padma defended the group to the other judges at the table. She said she could see how the turnaround in plans would have messed with the minds, but that they should have been able to adjust.

Sara M adjusted well. Sara N cried.

Just saying.

As far as shopping in high heels? Been there, done that. Of course, I am at an age and a condition where I would wear flats to a club anyway at this point in my life! :biggrin:

If you can dance all night in high heels, you can cook in high heels.

Ms. Casey termed herself the "expediter" at judges table. What expediter in the real world is not aware of what goes on in the stations, where the food was and when it was coming, and doesn't know about a conflict going on in the kitchen?

Sure you can. Probably at greater risk for injury if you are in a fast-paced hectic professional kitchen (unless of course the clubs you go to are a bit more athletic than the usual and there is hot oil, sharp knives, and performance demands around. Sometimes this can happen in Coney Island or the Bronx).

The question is whether as a professional would you want to.

Again I say let's try it on Howie.

Poor CJ would hit his adorable head on the ceiling, so it shouldn't be him we try it on.

Sure you can. Probably at greater risk for injury if you are in a fast-paced hectic professional kitchen (unless of course the clubs you go to are a bit more athletic than the usual and there is hot oil, sharp knives, and performance demands around. Sometimes this can happen in Coney Island or the Bronx).

The question is whether as a professional would you want to.

Again I say let's try it on Howie.

Poor CJ would hit his adorable head on the ceiling, so it shouldn't be him we try it on.

Well, as professionals, as they all are, they planned on dancing on top of high top tables, in high heels, in an atmosphere of heavy drinking, drugs, bright lights, booty thumping music, the occasional bar or cat fight, and most likely broken glass.

I really have to get you to South Florida some time!

Sara M adjusted, the other two whined.

Yep that's what happened.

Whiners don't win.

Personally I would have worn the heels and probably would have somehow kept stepping on Howie's big toe with the stiletto part.

Then I would have kept them on till the judging where I would take them off and throw them with damning accuracy into Padma's teased hairdo.

I would have tried for Tom's head but there's nothing for the heel to grab onto there and that look of sweaty oil and batter covered high heel hanging from someone's head would be so precious.

:smile:

I have been reading and enjoying this post and hadn't felt a need to chime in. I agree with each point of view to a certain extent.

Padma turns my stomach.

Tom comes across as a puke.

Howie, I wouldn't hire to feed my dog, no matter how good he might be. It's not woth the trouble he would cause. Oh yea, and he's a complete ass.

Hung, Arrogant, with no reason to be.

Life is never as rosey as we would like. Deal with it! The pissy attitudes in the last challenge was very telling. I wouldn't even allow that sort of reaction in my children. Please don't whine, it may have been unfair, unsafe, and definately unfun, but it won't kill you to work in heels and evening-wear. I think they forgot why they were there, to win the prize!

I actually only started this reply because I was laughing so hard at Carrot Tops last post. Amen! Got carried away, sorry.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I had another possible explanation for Sara and Casey looking so upset and commenting about being demoralized by having to wear club wear. How much of a stretch do you think it is to think that Howie leered, made rude comments, or worse the whole time they were all cooking together? I know in a male dominated profession like cooking it's hard enough to stand up tall against the men, but in heels and low cut tops those ladies were fresh meat. I don't see CJ, Tre, or Hung doing anything to make the women uncomfortable, but can easily picture Howie making that cooking assignment torture for the two women stuck in his trailer. And they wouldn't have mentioned behavior like that since it would reflect badly on them - not being able to hang with the guys and stand up for themselves as chefs.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I had another possible explanation for Sara and Casey looking so upset and commenting about being demoralized by having to wear club wear. How much of a stretch do you think it is to think that Howie leered, made rude comments, or worse the whole time they were all cooking together? I know in a male dominated profession like cooking it's hard enough to stand up tall against the men, but in heels and low cut tops those ladies were fresh meat. I don't see CJ, Tre, or Hung doing anything to make the women uncomfortable, but can easily picture Howie making that cooking assignment torture for the two women stuck in his trailer. And they wouldn't have mentioned behavior like that since it would reflect badly on them - not being able to hang with the guys and stand up for themselves as chefs.

Eh, I don't know. That's entirely possible. Howie probably looked, but so did every drunk that came out of the club. And Howie lives in the household with them, I can't believe that was his first opportunity to check out Casey and BOTH Sara M. and Sara N.

They mentioned having to shop in high heels and cooking in low cut tops. They were also very vocal in what a jerk Howie is, which I think is valid. I think if they had the sexual harassment goods on him, they would have played it hard before now. I also think it would have come out in the living arrangements and that hot tub and all.

Thinking back, Hung and Tre had every bit as much skin exposed as those two ladies did. One on the fryer, the other on the grill.

Tre is well built. Nice guns. Not that I am leering or anything. :biggrin:

My opinion only.

Tre is well built. Nice guns.  Not that I am leering or anything. :biggrin:

My opinion only.

Agreed :cool:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

This just in:

Huh. Go figure.

Yes - the frozen Bertolli pasta entrees that Rocco is shilling for.

Kinda contradicts himself a bit, don't you think?! :wink:

The challange was to mimic a mediterranean style dish. Is all italian cuisine also mediterranean in style? Is the above a valid example because Piedmontese (?) cuisine, without regard to my first question, is generally considered to be mediterranean? I'm curious about the distinction.

I think the guy's original point was that truffles are associated with french cuisine and not the med. Sure France is on the med but French cuisine is distinct, is it not? So does the fact that one can get truffles in Italy mean that they are not dissonant in a well conceived med style dish?

The more I watch, the more I can see (unless the show as some have alluded, is quite rigged, but even then ...) Trey as the only possible winner. He's confident without being arrogant, produces quality stuff and seems to avoid massive screw-ups.

Hung and Howie ... no way. Liked them both at various points, but Howie acts like a child, and whoever compared Hung to Marcell was insulting Marcell. He was better. Season One had a final I respected. Season Two did not. Let's hope this one gets it right. Of everyone eliminated thus far, I think Lia belongs here more than some of the remaining contestants.

Maybe Brian against Trey. I could see that.

If it's rigged, shame on Bravo. Someone should expose it. Even if it were, it's beating the hell out of the rest of the swill they're showing these days. Ever been searching for Top Chef and landed upon Flipping Out? Worst person on television showdown between he and Paula Abdul. Horrible, horrible programming, those two.

Edited by chappie (log)

Has anyone else noticed that whenever the show highlights a new friendship, one of those contestants gets kicked off? I'm thinking of Joey/Howie, Lia/Casey, and Dale/Sara. It's a pretty annoying way of introducing unwanted (at least by me) drama into the show.

If it's rigged, shame on Bravo. Someone should expose it. Even if it were, it's beating the hell out of the rest of the swill they're showing these days. Ever been searching for Top Chef and landed upon Flipping Out? Worst person on television showdown between he and Paula Abdul. Horrible, horrible programming, those two.

I don't think it's rigged but I'm curious as to whether it is more intensively scripted/directed during the parts of the show that are not specifically set in the kitchen.

It would be clearly unethical to script or direct the competition as it occurs in the kitchen.

I'm watching the show in two ways: the first way just accepting what I see as "real", or real enough. Just watching a TV show. The other way I'm watching it is in a mode of analysis with not the eyes of a chef or as someone who cooks or just as a television viewer seeking entertainment, but rather with the eyes of someone who would have this show placed before them with the instructions "Direct this and produce it. Make this show catch the viewer's attention and keep it."

Writing a good story, fiction or not, means using a certain bag of tricks to do it best. Just as in any recipe for cooking, there are lots of technical things one has to remember and use in order to make it work well. If it were me in charge of this show (ha, ha, I do have an ego don't I :laugh: ) I would use everything at my (ethical) disposal to make it simmer and simmer and simmer till the bitter end.

So I do wonder about image styling and high heel possible trickery because all these things do matter in terms of creating and maintaining an entertaining drama, even in small ways. These sort of things are like the glue that helps hold the (larger) story together. An image stylist is not always used to create the most beautiful things - they are used to create the thing that is most useful for the final goal.

Yeah, I definitely think Casey's green top was chosen by an image stylist. And I won't say anything more about why. :biggrin:

If scripting or outside-of-kitchen directing is as intensive as I am only guessing it might be, will that finally affect who wins?

I sort of doubt it, actually. It's just interesting to watch and consider it all. :wink:

Yeah, I definitely think Casey's green top was chosen by an image stylist. And I won't say anything more about why.  :biggrin:

But that green! It was awful. And if I'm now not talking about the same thing that you aren't talking about, I imagine I could have done a heck of a lot better along those lines.

I have now fired the last round in my fashion bandoleer. I shall not comment on oufits for at least another 5 years from this date.

:biggrin: Darn it all, Dignan. I've really been enjoying seeing this new side of you as fashion maven.

I don't have a bandoleer and will actually have to look that word up. But I will shoot off that the green shirt was not designed for the concept of creating beauty but for the concept of creating intense further interest and musing speculation.

:smile:

But of course it is one's knife skills that count in the end, when everyone convenes at the OK Corral.

But I will shoot off that the green shirt was not designed for the concept of creating beauty but for the concept of creating intense further interest and musing speculation.

Which might be why she (Casey) made the comment that she did not ever dress like this for the kitchen and even beyond that did not ever like to have her cooks/staff ever see her dressed like this.

The tension of an unanswered question that can hang in someone's mind . . . that thing that makes a great story compelling while the story is being told (as is occuring here on Top Chef in the vignettes of personality and looks being tossed out to the viewers) can take the attention away from what is supposed to be really important in the picture supposedly being focused on: making great food and being a capable leader.

So that is why, I guess, whether the high heel thing was real or not, it bothers me.

Tre knew he was on camera when he took off his shirt. In that sense he had control over using what the women posting above were commenting on. :rolleyes:

In wanting to know the story that underlies the story, I want to know whether the women chefs knew they were going to be on-camera in those clothes before they (or someone else) chose those particular outfits. A tiny detail, perhaps. But important psychologically to the overall perception by the viewers of "who they are".

Mpfh. Forgive me, I know I responded to myself in this post. :smile:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

A tiny detail, perhaps. But important psychologically to the overall perception by the viewers of "who they are".

Whoo hoo. I just enjoyed that so much that I want to make it an even three posts.

Why does it matter what viewers perceive as being a Top Chef, male or female? Because these television personalities are icons. They represent to the average viewer "what a chef is". And that affects every professional chef and every possibly-aspiring chef in some small way.

I hope I can be quiet now. Wednesday evening is only three days away. :biggrin:

Tre knew he was on camera when he took off his shirt

He was just doing a Gordon Ramsay! :biggrin:

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"