• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Season 3

KristiB50

When I read the long, long list of add-ins on Hung's ice cream I knew he'd be last. It's ice cream. Not a rice bowl.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

[i don't know about a "disadvantage" for the women...there's only one woman on that show that's doing well at all.

Maybe, maybe not. But just as gummy bears and steak don't go together, either do high heels and professional cooking.

CJ alluded to prof soccer and team spirit and coaching at one point. If you take part of any team and hang them with a brick around their neck there's going to be an additional challenge to be overcome, both physical and emotional.

I seriously believe that regardless of Howie's previous showings he would have topped over the edge in terms of attitude and performance if indeed he'd been wearing the high heels that night.

He would have been the volcano that finally blew. And he would be the one gone.

So far he's been a low-level stressor, a negative energy that has had to be overcome by the others time and time again. This is supremely non-professional and does not belong as part of being called "chef".

The contestants overall have shown lots of interesting lapses of knowledge and they've taken some jumps that didn't work. But none of them have given off the smell of bully as Howie has.

He should not be rewarded for this.

And I can not believe that I am so involved in this TV show. :laugh:

Note to Hung: Yeah any monkey can put fruit in ice cream but at least it tastes good.

I like sriracha on a lot of things but ice cream probably isn't one of them.

After a night of drinking people want carbs and fat. Not raw seafood.

Tre's grits(and guns!) looked awesome and Ted was right when he said bacon makes people happy.

That team was having fun compared to the other team who seemed to be pouting because they didn't get to go out. I knew they weren't and they should have too. If it sounds too good to be true...

And putting ice in a milkshake? That will not bring all the boys to the yard.

I'm getting tired of Howies tantrums and insults. He doesn't work well with others and he's annoying.

I'm with you on everything but the ceviche. Isn't ceviche a hangover cure in some cultures? It's been a lot of years since I went clubbing in Miami (so long ago, South Beach was where the elderly people on limited incomes lived), but last night, I was thinking that was the one thing I'd love to run into while out partying. Cold, spicy, limey, fresh ceviche.

Sriracha might've worked with chocolate ice cream.

I wasn't going to watch this season... Curse you, Tivo! :biggrin:

Anyway, I think it was truly unfair to criticize CJ for not showing leadership when he didn't step into the hell-hole that was the inside of that roach coach when things started to screw up... There are just some people you can't manage (that's what firing's for) and Howie is one of them. He's a loaded gun waiting to go off and another contestant stepping in and trying to run the show would not have made things any better (as CJ pointed out). Having Howie explode wasn't worth the trouble it would have caused, trouble that would have far exceeded the problems the team was already displaying.

And Padma's look when the girls complained about working in heels and low-cut blouses was uncalled for. Didn't I read an interview with her (or maybe it was on the obligatory "bring the old contestants back for a reunion show") where she said "of course I don't go in the kitchen dressed like this, but I'm not on this show to be cooking." (or something to that effect) I'm in serious danger of a rant here too, so I guess I'll quit, but I agree with Sara that it was demoralizing and probably humiliating... Especially with all the drunk party-goers...

Can't wait for Howie to get the boot. What a pig. I'm not sure, though, that so far this season I've seen that there's anyone I really think is a great chef. It's like it's all about personalities and not about the food--I mean, at least in the previous seasons, I felt that there were some really inspired cooks in the kitchen. These guys, for all that every one of them has some sort of "chef" in their subtitle, just seem whiny and not very imaginative.

But, of course, I'm hooked and will continue to watch until the bitter, bitter end.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Well, Sara was bound to go. You can't be a leader if you can't assert yourself. Hung is a prick. How many times is he going to explain why his dish is going to be so good and when it isn't liked, he pulls the, "Well, the commoners just don't understand it"? Screw you, cook something that tastes good. (Yeah, he pushes my buttons :blink: )

Howie needs to go as well. He's a jerk and insults people. Then his cover is, "Well, you don't have to like me, just respect me and do everything I say." I've been coaching various ages, from young kids to college, in different sports for the last 15 years. No, people don't have to like you to follow you, and yes, they need to respect you, but they can't hate you. If they dislike you because of something related to the task you did, it's one thing. If they hate you because you belittle them and don't show them respect in turn, you're the leader of a sinking ship.

And I, like others, pledged not to watch this season, but here we are... :smile:

I like Padma, for the most part, but okay hon . . . let's see you in the kitchen cooking in your high heels and low-cut sweater and see how you fare . . . but I digress.

This challenge was idiotic. Maybe it's me, but I have yet to hear of a chef that plans on a night on the town and is then thrown an "emergency cooking" task.

Even the best of chefs would be a bit put out, I'd say.

Howie needs to go as well.  He's a jerk and insults people.  Then his cover is, "Well, you don't have to like me, just respect me and do everything I say."  I've been coaching various ages, from young kids to college, in different sports for the last 15 years.  No, people don't have to like you to follow you, and yes, they need to respect you, but they can't hate you.  If they dislike you because of something related to the task you did, it's one thing.  If they hate you because you belittle them and don't show them respect in turn, you're the leader of a sinking ship.

More importantly, his choices so far when put into a team role have been lousy. You don't have to like someone leading you, but they better know what they're doing and be fit to lead. From what I've seen, he isn't.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I have to jump in to say that I cook in the kitchen in high heels and low cut shirts (or fancy dresses) for dinner parties all the time! I usually am in heels from about 6 pm for cocktails through the end of the party (which in our case usually lasts until well after midnight)--on my feet for most of it except while eating. I also have a very good dry cleaner who is always able to get out the splattered grease, red wine, etc. (aprons don't protect everything).

So I guess I feel like Padma did towards Casey and Sara--quit your whining about your attire.

ETA--And I've also come home from clubbing many a time and made breakfast (still in heels) for myself, hubby, and whoever else might be attending the after party.

Edited by Anna Friedman Herlihy (log)

Interestingly enough, cooking as a professional chef in a restaurant kitchen is not exactly the same thing as cooking for a dinner party for friends. In terms of many things. As an executive chef I would never allow a woman cook to wear heels in the kitchen or low cut blouses for more reasons than one.

The women that we are discussing are not home cooks. They are professional chefs.

Regarding the "faux night on the town issue" I guess I have 2 opinions (only 2, there's a surprise........ :wink:)

And let me preface it by saying I most certainly am NOT a professional chef/cook, nor have I ever known one.

However...

I am a grown-up professional and many days, if not most, my days at work do not go as planned. I arrive in the morning fully certain my day is going to go THIS WAY and I will do THESE THINGS and most days it goes THAT WAY and I do THOSE THINGS. Heck, that even happens in my personal life. I just put on my big-girl panties and deal with it. Which is what the "cheftestants" should've done when they realized their night on the town was a ruse. Oh well, it wasn't what I expected......I'll suck it up, deal with it and get through the new situation. I'll whine when its over, and commiserate with my colleagues, but we'll cope. And excel.

Regarding the attire, however, I completely agree that I would've been very annoyed by having to work a line in club attire, especially in stilletto heels and décolletage-baring tops. Tough to hold your dignity and be professional in that sort of outfit, never mind be safe (and comfortable !) in a professional, fast-moving, cramped kitchen. That ploy put those women at risk IMO, and was tacky and stupid. But again, I'd have kvetched about it afterwards, and not let it detract from my performance. Hell, I'd have kicked those 5-inch FM-pumps off under the nearest counter where no one could trip over them and cooked barefoot. Nothing I haven't done before at work when I've been in crisis mode and my feet have been killing me. Of course, I wasn't around sharp things, and boiling liquids, but still........I would've ditched those shoes in a nanosecond. Especially in the grocery store.

Other than that, Hung needs to realize he's not a professional cook to please only his own tastes and Howie needs a perpetual Valium IV-drip. And a good smack upside his inflated head.

LOVED Tre's grits & shrimp. Will be downloading that recipe.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

It's fun to read this thread ... I have not seen all the episodes but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Padma is a ridiculous fraud. A former model, she's probably thrown up almost everything she's eaten in her life. I have no idea how anyone thinks she can critique food.

And making the ladies cook in high heels and blouses is not only insulting but probably dangerous.

Other than that, it's a very amusing show.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

<<<And making the ladies cook in high heels and blouses is not only insulting but probably dangerous.>>>

As someone who cooked professionally I can say this.. I have seen those women chefs inrestaurants who cooked in FM shoes..good for them.

However, with fryers at 375 degrees, ovens at least 400 degrees, griddles on high, fat and knives flying so to speak, jewelry on ones hands, fingers, or neck getting heated up to god knows how hot (then burning your skin as it heats), KITCHEN BURNS ARE NO FUN AND CAN HURT LIKE HELL!

Burning your chest or feet takes a loong time to heel.

Sheesh....Top Chef weas VERY lucky with this one

and for the ice cream challange..does anyone realy think Stone Cold Creamery is going to want to (or be able to) sell an ice cream with any flavors of balsamic vinegar, salt, or vegatable flavors in East Podunk USA?? LOLOL...

Edited by MsSumida (log)

http:/www.etuinc.com

That was I thought really a really cold blooded manuver this week with being told they're going out and then getting yanked into an elimination challenge instead. And it was unduly hard on the women, I thought.

But it did allow for the biggest laugh of the night when they had the shot of Dale at his nice four course wine and food dinner while everything was going to sh*t for his teammates.

To me, it was so painfully obvious from the getgo of the elimination challenge that Sara was going that I started wondering if it was some sort of editing trick and it would be a surprise elimination.

And if Tre doesn't make it to top 2 at least I'm going to be pissed.

Finally, I'm starting to worry that Howie's going to go the distance. He keeps making it by virtue of someone else being worse each time. Hopefully they put him in charge of the challenge next week and that'll really give him opportunity to flame out.

Tre's grits and shrimp looked so good, I wish I could have tasted it.

You can - at Momofuku Noodle Bar for about the past 2 years.

And judge what's his name, with the bacon comments...thanks for the insight. Between that, and TC's comments to Rocco about truffles not being part of Mediterranean cuisine, leads me to believe, that even though one can cook, doesn't necessarily mean one knows a lot about food.

And, while the high-heels sucked, Giada and RR, amongst other FN "chefs," seem to be doing lots of cooking in low-cut tops - I think the Times even ran an article about it!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

And, while the high-heels sucked, Giada and RR, amongst other FN "chefs," seem to be doing lots of cooking in low-cut tops - I think the Times even ran an article about it!

Yes, and there one gets into the question of "what is a chef?" Is a chef someone who works mostly teaching cooking on TV or is a chef someone who can run a kitchen.

The job descriptions are far apart. :biggrin:

There's an odd mix going on here in terms of that, because on this show you do have professional chefs who are supposedly trying to win a competition (of sorts) based on their competency as professional chefs, but it really isn't exactly so. The goal here really is to make entertaining TV.

I never saw the show before this year (actually never saw it before last week). Never intended to. But I walked by the TV while doing something else and the TV happened to be on this channel and it caught my eye and I stopped for one second to watch it.

That was the end of me. I think I sat there for four or five hours straight, only snacking in-between episodes, because it was one of those runs of the shows of the season. :blink: Wierd. :biggrin:

Good TV is what it is, but it does have (in my opinion) some sort of responsibility to be vaguely accurate and more than vaguely fair to each of the contestants.

But then again, the TV was on the other day too when the "reality show" The Parker came on, and they had a scene of a restaurant critic (whom they said was a "internationally known restaurant critic") at their dining tables and she seemed so ditzy that I googled her and discovered (as did the other people who had googled as one had blogged about it) that this person did not exist anywhere on earth except in the producer's minds as a restaurant critic. She simply had been made up for "reality TV" then portrayed by an actress.

Phew. :wacko: The lines of reality seem to softening on TV on these TV shows. :sad:

Guess scripts work better than real reality as far as making an hour's worth of entertainment.

I think that just to keep things fair, the guys should have to wear high heels and low-cut tops during the next challenge.

:smile:

i was thinking the same thing---now, maybe if they put them in speedos, it would cure me once and for all of watching this show!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

yeah, but giada and rr aren't really cooking--tv cooking is a completely different animal that working a line in a trailer all night.

something that occurred to me briefly---if i was (drugged/ held at gunpoint/ completely out of my senses) packing to go off and participate in one of these shows, would i even toss any of those clubbing clothes in my bag? no...why would i think i'd need them, when the whole thing is supposed to be grueling cooking challenges and tight quarters? with the exception of the couple women who have clearly been counting on their looks, rather than their cooks, i'd think you'd want to save the space in your bag for your good pillow!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Sara specifically mentioned having to do their "shopping" in high heeled shoes, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out that, while they were working, they were wearing different shoes. Now, I don't think we ever got a shot of the dressy gear footwear the ladies were wearing before or during the challenge, which is curious given the attention the matter has drawn. I'm sure the party shoes weren't comfortable and sturdy, and the floor of the roach coach was probably, what?, perforated metal planking or something like that? If so, you simply could not walk on it in heels, and bare feet would be painful. But even with the best floor everyone involved would have known the dangers of open toes, high centers of balance, cramped quarters and sloppy floors (and why don't I ever get invited to those kinds of parties), so I suspect shoes were swapped and it wasn't considered an issue in the event and thus no camera shots of them, and it only arose later when Sara complained about shopping in them. Of course, if she said she cooked in them then a good deal of what I just said is of no use whatsoever.

I just don't see any way that Howie can win this thing. Besides his character foibles that are so amusing to watch, he's just all wrong. Isn't the person who wins going to be a rep for F&W and sponsor products, or is that not part of it? There's some discussion about how much influence the producers have on the selections, which they might exercise in order to insert conflict which increases drama, but also in order to choose someone photogenic and likeable and after that perhaps competent in the kitchen. I never watched before this season so please correct me if I'm misapprehending the reality. Who was it, Ted Allen?, that said Howie reminds him of a cartoon character. He does. He looks like Sluggo in the "Nancy" comics. He's understandable when he speaks but falls far short of compelling. Same with Joey -- he could be a culinary genius but in a sound bite he'll never sound like anything other than a Brooklyn hamnegger. And most of the others have their own issues.

So my call is Brian, Tre, or Casey. Casey is attractive and personable, it seems like maybe she can cook, and has other assets I won't dwell on, though she needs a new haircut. Brian wears stupid hats but appears to have a personality every one enjoys, though as I think about it I don't know if I've really been shown that he can cook. Tre does appear to be able to cook, the strongest of the three certainly and from outside evidence better than that indicates, is personable enough, and, least important in my opinion because he is otherwise the best choice, would address whatever diversity issues might be piled on this decision making process.

So I vote Tre.

I never watched before this season so please correct me if I'm misapprehending the reality.  Who was it, Ted Allen?

Ah, thanks for the jog on the name... I think he got "famous" by being on a "reality" show...life imitates art, or something like that (or, as someone else once said, "life intimidates art").

Yes, you have someone no one knew or had heard of, prior to a reality show, judging people no one knows on a reality show! I'm gettin' a headache.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

something that occurred to me briefly---if i was (drugged/ held at gunpoint/ completely out of my senses) packing to go off and participate in one of these shows, would i even toss any of those clubbing clothes in my bag? no...why would i think i'd need them, when the whole thing is supposed to be grueling cooking challenges and tight quarters?  with the exception of the couple women who have clearly been counting on their looks, rather than their cooks, i'd think you'd want to save the space in your bag for your good pillow!

Because you were probably told by the producers to bring things to wear for FOH purposes, competition surprises, photo sessions, cocktail parties/dinners, and other events they might schedule in order to promote the TV show they were making?

[i don't know about a "disadvantage" for the women...there's only one woman on that show that's doing well at all.

Maybe, maybe not. But just as gummy bears and steak don't go together, either do high heels and professional cooking.

CJ alluded to prof soccer and team spirit and coaching at one point. If you take part of any team and hang them with a brick around their neck there's going to be an additional challenge to be overcome, both physical and emotional.

I seriously believe that regardless of Howie's previous showings he would have topped over the edge in terms of attitude and performance if indeed he'd been wearing the high heels that night.

He would have been the volcano that finally blew. And he would be the one gone.

So far he's been a low-level stressor, a negative energy that has had to be overcome by the others time and time again. This is supremely non-professional and does not belong as part of being called "chef".

The contestants overall have shown lots of interesting lapses of knowledge and they've taken some jumps that didn't work. But none of them have given off the smell of bully as Howie has.

He should not be rewarded for this.

And I can not believe that I am so involved in this TV show. :laugh:

I think Howie has a shot to win the show if the stress doesn't get to him. He has turned out some great food, I just think the way the show works isn't all that suited for him, but the thing with the scorched berries looked awesome and displayed a fundamental understanding of what is good and what works. I think for some chefs the format of the show is stressful and doesn't let them shine. I'd bet that if they had unlimited budget and plenty of time, like in the Season 2 finale, Howie would make some of, if not the best food in the group.

I don't think either woman has a shot at winning, but Casey will be kept on for a while for her looks and so as to not totally alienate female viewers.

would i even toss any of those clubbing clothes in my bag? no...why would i think i'd need them, when the whole thing is supposed to be grueling cooking challenges and tight quarters? 

I'd guess that they are all being dressed by stylists on that show and that they did not even have to bring along clothes for the set. If this is true it would mean, of course, that the whole high-heel thing was a set-up designed to add an exciting tension to the story. Which of course it did. :biggrin:

It might be interesting to check the credits (if they even show them) to see if fashion stylist or some similar title is listed.

Sara specifically mentioned having to do their "shopping" in high heeled shoes, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out that, while they were working, they were wearing different shoes.  Now, I don't think we ever got a shot of the dressy gear footwear the ladies were wearing before or during the challenge, which is curious given the attention the matter has drawn. 

[ . . .]

So my call is Brian, Tre, or Casey.  Casey is attractive and personable, it seems like maybe she can cook, and has other assets I won't dwell on, though she needs a new haircut.  Brian wears stupid hats but appears to have a personality every one enjoys, though as I think about it I don't know if I've really been shown that he can cook.  Tre does appear to be able to cook, the strongest of the three certainly and from outside evidence better than that indicates, is personable enough, and, least important in my opinion because he is otherwise the best choice, would address whatever diversity issues might be piled on this decision making process. 

So I vote Tre.

I agree with you about the final likely disposition of the shoes. But I still think it's a worthy point to make a call out on it just because, but more importantly if it is a real competition and just not a highly staged one. If it is just a highly staged competition, that would explain the look Padma gave the chef who complained about the heels. As in "Your real payoff here is being seen by America, not winning the contest, and you know that". :wink:

If it is a real contest, I'd weigh my vote between Brian and Tre. They both have assets I won't dwell on either, Dignan. :biggrin: Besides having what it takes to win the contest.

But if it is not a "real" contest and is highly staged, the winner will be whomever can create the longest lasting tension and entertainment in a way that will not compromise the overlay idea that there is a "real" contest going on.

One side bonus of watching Top Chef is that I think I finally understand football fans.

(Edited to alter Brian's name to its correct spelling rather than call him "Brain". :laugh: Phew.)

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Sara specifically mentioned having to do their "shopping" in high heeled shoes, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out that, while they were working, they were wearing different shoes.  Now, I don't think we ever got a shot of the dressy gear footwear the ladies were wearing before or during the challenge, which is curious given the attention the matter has drawn.  I'm sure the party shoes weren't comfortable and sturdy, and the floor of the roach coach was probably, what?, perforated metal planking or something like that?  If so, you simply could not walk on it in heels, and bare feet would be painful.  But even with the best floor everyone involved would have known the dangers of open toes, high centers of balance, cramped quarters and sloppy floors (and why don't I ever get invited to those kinds of parties), so I suspect shoes were swapped and it wasn't considered an issue in the event and thus no camera shots of them, and it only arose later when Sara complained about shopping in them.  Of course, if she said she cooked in them then a good deal of what I just said is of no use whatsoever.

I just don't see any way that Howie can win this thing.  Besides his character foibles that are so amusing to watch, he's just all wrong.  Isn't the person who wins going to be a rep for F&W and sponsor products, or is that not part of it?  There's some discussion about how much influence the producers have on the selections, which they might exercise in order to insert conflict which increases drama, but also in order to choose someone photogenic and likeable and after that perhaps competent in the kitchen.  I never watched before this season so please correct me if I'm misapprehending the reality.  Who was it, Ted Allen?, that said Howie reminds him of a cartoon character.  He does.  He looks like Sluggo in the "Nancy" comics.  He's understandable when he speaks but falls far short of compelling.  Same with Joey -- he could be a culinary genius but in a sound bite he'll never sound like anything other than a Brooklyn hamnegger.  And most of the others have their own issues.

So my call is Brian, Tre, or Casey.  Casey is attractive and personable, it seems like maybe she can cook, and has other assets I won't dwell on, though she needs a new haircut.  Brian wears stupid hats but appears to have a personality every one enjoys, though as I think about it I don't know if I've really been shown that he can cook.  Tre does appear to be able to cook, the strongest of the three certainly and from outside evidence better than that indicates, is personable enough, and, least important in my opinion because he is otherwise the best choice, would address whatever diversity issues might be piled on this decision making process. 

So I vote Tre.

I think Howie might pull a Taylor Hicks. I can see him getting along with others better...but I don't think he really did anything all that wrong this week. Sara was pissy before she ever started the challenge and was just looking for a scapegoat, hoping her crying would sway judges. I think this week was all about one team having a better salesman "to keep the party going" had that salesman been on the other team, we could have seen them win.

In the end, it's about who is the Top Chef, not top personality or top P.O.A. I hope the producers get that.

In the end, it's about who is the Top Chef, not top personality or top P.O.A. I hope the producers get that.
Wasn't the case in season 2. Tre seems, at least for now, to be combining the good food with less drama, so in the way he reminds me of Harold, he's my guy.

Howie and Hung are the season's asshats, clearly they can cook, but as far as winning this "contest," I think they are fatally flawed. Howie's getting more of the bad guy edit (he contributes so much to that!) and Hung is the new Marcel/Stephen, the arrogant ass, not without skills, but without a chance of going all the way. Although he is entertaining, what with his Hung-style responses to criticisms of his food.

I'd guess that they are all being dressed by stylists on that show and that they did not even have to bring along clothes for the set. If this is true it would mean, of course, that the whole high-heel thing was a set-up designed to add an exciting tension to the story. Which of course it did.  :biggrin:

It might be interesting to check the credits (if they even show them) to see if fashion stylist or some similar title is listed.

If so, whatever fashion savant that put Casey in that bolt of blah should turn in his or her gun and badge.

We were treated to a shot of Howie painstakingly ironing a shirt in his assigned boudoir before they went out. All in all, I think they, like normal people, own clothes that aren't cooking togs and they brought some with them. We know they aren't wearing whites 24/7, and nothing they were wearing was all that special or unusual.