• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Season 3

KristiB50

Was it just me or did Lia look possibly 10 times hotter than anyone else on stage. (including Padma)

I like the look of Perilla. Food looks honest, in a nice setting. Something that I'd like in my neighborhood.

The rest of the show was pretty boring. It looked like only four of the five contestants actually had anything to say while everyone else just sat there with their thumbs up their ass.

Oh well.

Lets get on with the friggin show.

it wasn't just you....

Has anyone noticed during the credits if a different editor is named than in earlier seasons? In my opinion, the show has a very different feel than before and it is really difficult to watch.

An example is this week's quickfire, I couldn't see any of the ingredients that had to be identified. Side shots or shots of Padma talking instead of showing the ingredient made it hard to play along.

I was watching NBC last night (hey, no comments about why I was home on a Saturday), and at 9 p.m. central time they announced "an all new episode of Top Chef." Turns out the new episode was just a rerun of the show that ran on Bravo the Wednesday before. Was this just in my market? I know that NBC and Bravo are part of the same company.

The fact that the network ran a cable rerun either says something about the rising interest in food or the declining status of the networks. I'm not sure which.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I'm sorry, the last two episodes have been LAME! I didn't bother to watch the 'reunion' at all, and I expected good things from the frozen food challenge, but it was pathetic! Even I know that if you want to successfully freeze meals they have to be lightly cooked so they don't overcook when you reheat them, something solid like a lasagne (which can't be reheated in a skillet, so that was out) and frozen either in very flat sheets or preferably with the liquids seperate from the solids so that they don't go mushy when you try to reheat them.

Yeah while the contestants seem to have a lot of talent and great concepts their lack of common sense is interesting.

It reminds me of engineers who don't know how to use a screwdriver (honest!). They have tons of education and know how to construct a bridge, but can't even fix a loose screw.

There's some interesting quibblin' over on the Bravo site.

Tony:

http://wapurl.co.uk/?7KZWOZZ

Rocco:

http://wapurl.co.uk/?K6BXRWQ

[Rocco takes his lumps on the last page.]

Me? Meh. I never ate at UP, but Rocco's acknowledged as a great chef by people who's opinions I respect. He doesn't want to be a chef anymore, but needs that credibility to get anywhere, so he's floundering. Ultimately the guy comes across as a sad little shill to me. I don't doubt his talent, but he's uninterested in using it, merely capitalizing on it, and in that he's singularly unqualified. I think it's funny that nowhere does he pretend to have cooked the pasta in the bag. He didn't. He's their spokesmodel, nothing more, and he's not particularly good with it.

And Bourdain can write him under the table any day. As he can most of us, but still.

I  still think he had plastic surgery though...and I agree with uncle ovipositor.

I caught the most recent of Top Chef by chance. I didn't think Rocco had plastic surgery, just that he had lost weight. I did think that he had some hair implants or perhaps was wearing a hair piece (he was thinning on top when he was doing The Restaurant).

While Tony Bourdain's guest blog may have been an enjoyable read, I thought it was highly unprofessional to dis' Rocco and his guest appearance. If it had been his personal blog, fine, but on a blog affiliated with the show and the network? It was in very bad taste, indeed.

While Tony Bourdain's guest blog may have been an enjoyable read, I thought it was highly unprofessional to dis' Rocco and his guest appearance.  If it had been his personal blog, fine, but on a blog affiliated with the show and the network?  It was in very bad taste, indeed.

It ended up being doubly weird because Rocco blogged also. I thought he handled it pretty well.

I think it's time to retire the whole Rocco schtick anyway. It's been, what, three years?

And re: the charcoal point. Kingsford or not, there are much better ways to light charcoal than lighter fluid. A charcoal chimney works every time. I can't believe these guys know monkfish liver, but some of them seemed mystified by charcoal.

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

And none of the chefs respected Rocco. And Rocco's face! Bad bad bad plastic surgery!!  :blink: 

Okay, I guess Michael Jackson turning himself into Diana Ross isn’t that huge of a leap when you think about it…….but why is Rocco turning himself into Elizabeth Falkner from Citizen Cake? They don’t cook similar food, live in the same city or anything! :rolleyes:

Wait a minute!! Rocco had plastic surgery on his face?? :sad:

Damn, I always did think he was rather shallow. Ah, well...

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Is anyone else grossed out by the "ball of sweat" that is just about to fall on Howie's nose? Whenever I watch a re-run, I can't look at his nose :shock:

You know, I try to give it a pass but it seems like there's a requisite shot of Howie with that sweat blob on the end of his nose in every ep now. Get a bandana!

I think on Ted Allen(?)'s blog on Bravo he just started zeroing in on it as well. He pointed out that if someone got sent home in Season 1 for tasting a sauce with their finger, Howie should be getting the boot, too.

Note to Hung: Yeah any monkey can put fruit in ice cream but at least it tastes good.

I like sriracha on a lot of things but ice cream probably isn't one of them.

After a night of drinking people want carbs and fat. Not raw seafood.

Tre's grits(and guns!) looked awesome and Ted was right when he said bacon makes people happy.

That team was having fun compared to the other team who seemed to be pouting because they didn't get to go out. I knew they weren't and they should have too. If it sounds too good to be true...

And putting ice in a milkshake? That will not bring all the boys to the yard.

I'm getting tired of Howies tantrums and insults. He doesn't work well with others and he's annoying.

Note to Hung: Yeah any monkey can put fruit in ice cream but at least it tastes good.

I like sriracha on a lot of things but ice cream probably isn't one of them.

After a night of drinking people want carbs and fat. Not raw seafood.

Tre's grits(and guns!) looked awesome and Ted was right when he said bacon makes people happy.

That team was having fun compared to the other team who seemed to be pouting because they didn't get to go out. I knew they weren't and they should have too. If it sounds too good to be true...

And putting ice in a milkshake? That will not bring all the boys to the yard.

I'm getting tired of Howies tantrums and insults. He doesn't work well with others and he's annoying.

I'm with you on everything but the ceviche. Isn't ceviche a hangover cure in some cultures? It's been a lot of years since I went clubbing in Miami (so long ago, South Beach was where the elderly people on limited incomes lived), but last night, I was thinking that was the one thing I'd love to run into while out partying. Cold, spicy, limey, fresh ceviche.

Edited by kpurvis (log)

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Of the several dumb episodes I have watched this one has to be the most stupid. WTH has working in a "roach coach" to do with being a Top Chef? I understand the idea of creating feelings of disappointment or even anger by dashing their hopes of going out on the town, to create a mind set that a chef might experience on any work day, but then putting them to work in a mobile burger stand was ridiculous. (Except for Sweatie Howie-he was very much at home!)

The judges apparently also factored in the ability to work as cheerleaders for a drunken crowd of partygoers in their final judgement. What utter nonsense.

Tre's grits and shrimp looked so good, I wish I could have tasted it.

What did Sara do for her team? (not the one eliminated, the other Sara) I feel like she is sliding below the radar on nearly every show and has not done any real work, which is a shame since she is still there instead of Lia or others I would rather not see eliminated.

I think that just to keep things fair, the guys should have to wear high heels and low-cut tops during the next challenge.

LOL, I agree. At least they had aprons, I was worried they were not going to get any. The producers must be men- They should walk around in high heels for hours.

That was pretty cold, telling them that they’re going out on the town then sticking them in the roach coaches. I think it was particularly hard on the gals. Men and women dress differently to go out and the producers know this. On the other hand, if you were a contestant how you could you possibly not smell a rat here? OK I’ll admit the first thing I thought they were going to do after last week’s teaser is take them all out, get them good and hammered, then make them cook hung over, but this was over the top.

I dunno, if I was a smart gal contestant, I think I’d have grabbed a big purse and thrown a t-shirt and a pair of clogs or sneakers in it just in case.

Sara was an emotional wreck and looked close to a total breakdown, but I believe the only reason she was even still here was that the producers didn’t want 4 women gone in a row, thus they threw Joey under the bus last week in her place. She’s been a passive aggressive whiner since week 1. I still hate hate hate the team challenges. It’s obvious to all that teaming with Howie is almost a death sentence since his style is to lead via intimidation then jump out the door just as the bus goes over the cliff. Notice he never gets dinged for “poor leadership” like some of the others have. And of course what’s next? Restaurant wars! Who ever gets stuck with Howie should lock him in the walk in.

I think that just to keep things fair, the guys should have to wear high heels and low-cut tops during the next challenge.

LOL, I agree. At least they had aprons, I was worried they were not going to get any. The producers must be men- They should walk around in high heels for hours.

What was curious to me was the look Padma gave the women chefs when they mentioned the disadvantage of the high heels. It was full of incomprehension and disdain.

For fear of ranting, I won't go into details about my feelings on that look she offered up. :smile:

That ice cream quickfire sucked. I appreciate Hung trying something different, but that was just crazy. Simple and boring won it. Yawn.

I hated how they played the chefs like that -- they've been cooped up with nothing to do but eat and talk and sit in a pool, they finally have a chance to escape, and they pull a fast one, like its a joke. Not to mention what a severe disadvantage it was for the women...

On the losing team, they each tried to not screw up enough to get eliminated. CJ is sitting out there, not getting food out, so he just sits there and waits? Howie thinks he knows what should be done, but says nothing?

And milkshakes aren't going to do well when they are sitting out during a Miami spring night. At least ice wasn't added...

That ice cream quickfire sucked.  I appreciate Hung trying something different, but that was just crazy.  Simple and boring won it.  Yawn.

I hated how they played the chefs like that -- they've been cooped up with nothing to do but eat and talk and sit in a pool, they finally have a chance to escape, and they pull a fast one, like its a joke.  Not to mention what a severe disadvantage it was for the women...

On the losing team, they each tried to not screw up enough to get eliminated.  CJ is sitting out there, not getting food out, so he just sits there and waits?  Howie thinks he knows what should be done, but says nothing?

And milkshakes aren't going to do well when they are sitting out during a Miami spring night.  At least ice wasn't added...

I don't know about a "disadvantage" for the women...there's only one woman on that show that's doing well at all. Last week they should have fired what's her name because she did a terrible job and hasn't added to anything the whole time, but since so many of the women had already been cut, I think it was a network decision. Sara has been a non stop whiner. She might be a good chef in a controlled enviroment, but for these challenges she's too slow.

Hung reminds me of Marcel, but Hung is far more conceited. Hung thought that the idiots should just like what he made and they're stupid if they don't. It's ice cream!! Make something that tastes good! Do you put gummy bears on steak? No! Why? Because they don't go with steak! I think Hung would have been canned a while ago but is kept on because of his talent displayed in his career.

Edited by Elrushbo (log)