• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McKendric Western-Style Whiskey

Ktepi

There's a passing mention of this in a thread about a John T. Edge article on Prichard's, but that's it. The New Hampshire liquor stores just started carrying McKendric, and although I can only afford one bottle of whiskey today (I'm a freelancer, next check is in July), I'm strongly considering picking it up in lieu of authentic bourbon for Derby Day. New products disappear from the state liquor stores quickly sometimes, and I can't mail order it.

Anyway, there's not much online about this. The website for McKendric Whiskey is slim on details, except that the whiskey is made in Abilene and is "mellowed with mesquite." Most other mentions online just repeat the company phrasing; response at straightbourbon.com doesn't seem to be good, but I don't have any luck following the links mentioned on that thread.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Here's a more positive review that suggests the mash is heavy on the rye, something I was curious about. Apparently McKendric's is charcoal-filtered like Tennessee whiskey.

They list the price as $40; NH liquor stores are especially cheap with domestic product (I assume because the tariffs on international products are responsible for a lot of the price there), and it sells for $25 here. I'm really tempted to try it, especially since I have just enough Booker's left for one mint julep.