• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
jturn00

Airbrush for chocolate

After reading the postings in this thread >>> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=72&t=56184

I was curious on the airbrushing technique Wendy DeBord descibed that norman used. After airbrushing there must be some residual spray.

How do you keep your work area clean?

While the objective is to get the colors into the inside of the mould what do you do with the coloring that gets on the outside?

I am planning on using the powered dyes with cocobutter that I will melt and mix. Any tips on cleaning up after using cocobutter and colors? (I ordered the badger 250-4 with two "cups" but if I want to use a third color I will have clean one of them.)

These tips hopefully will let my first attempt at airbrushing chocolates go smoothly.

Thanks,

Jeff

There isn't really that much overspray. It sort of clouds up in a mist, but I haven't had trouble with a mess. I leave the colour that gets on the rim of the mould there. When you fill with chocolate and then scrape off the excess, it comes off. I've had no trouble with putting the scraped colour in my bowl of tempered chocolate. It just mixes in and disperses so there are no streaks. When I have tried to use a bench scraper to get rid of the colour on the rim before there is chocolate in it, it tends to curl up and fall in the cavities and then you need to pick it out. PITA.

Please try the PCB colours. They are wonderful. I ordered some stuff from the PCB website last Friday and got it on Thursday!! From France!! (can you tell I'm impressed with the speed of shipping?)

To clean my Badger 250, I usually get a cup of hot water and dip the intake into it and spray into the sink. Works great. I have a few cups, but you can wash them and use them right away as long as they are dry. Airbrushing is fun. Don't panic.

Edited by choux (log)

Welcome to The eGullet Society For Arts & Letters Jturn00.

I think Choux answered your questions very well, I ditto that info.. And I do want to mention that I've had a hard time dissolving dry powdered color in cocoa butter, so this may be a challenge to you also. I use the PBC brand of color suspended in cocoa butter and a similar product line that Albert Uster Company sells (which is greatly more thinned out then PCB). I also use oil based liquid colors that I've found thru wholesalers and at my local craft stores mixed into my own cocoa butter or chocolates.

As I recall theres alot of detailed excellent info. in the thread that you linked. If you follow it, you shouldn't have any problems learning this technique.

Another thing I thought of , when I clean the brush by running hot water through it, then just spray it with nothing but air sucking in to dry it off. I had been worried that the airbrush cuased pressure to build up in the jar, and taking the jar off without releasing the pressure from the can would cause a boom. This fear was allayed when I didn't screw the jar on properly and it fell off during spraying and nothing happened. So cleaning by feeding hot water through is pretty easy.

Just a quick follow-up. I just received the PCB colors. The coco butter is solid in the tubes. What is the best way to heat them up? In a hot water bath or in the microwave. How long should I microwave them for?

Microwave for sure! They tend to float in a hot water bath, and you don't want to get water into them. My microwave has a turntable and I lay them on their sides and let them roll around a bit.(my microwave isn't level so it works great) But a couple minutes for 1 bottle will work and I've done up to 4 in about 4 minutes. Keep checking and shaking them. Let us know how it goes!!

I just bought a new Bagder 250 airbrush. Since this tool is not meant to be used with chocolate there is no instructions about it in the package. Before using it for the first time I would like to have some tips from more experienced users. I am really worried about how to clean it after use since I have no idea how to do this task or what to use to clean the airbrush. I would also appreciate some tips on how to store it once it is not in use.

I am really excited in trying to airbrush my chocolates mold as soon as possible but I wouldn't like to mess this little tool so any info on how to use it is very wellcome.

Thanks in advance!

I use the badger as well ( you mean the little cheaper one right , with external jar for suction ?)

Anyway , I dont do any particular things around it, its my work horse actually I am pretty mean to it as well :laugh: .When I am done using it and between colors I just use some paper towles to clean up the jar and when I am done I just take it apart and wash it with warm to hot water ( but not always ) I use a needle to clean up the hole in case it gets clogged with cocoa butter ,but it doesnt happen too often.

Also if you plan on using the air propellent that it came with it , be aware that isnt food safe .

Do you use a small compressor that is meant for air brushes? Is there enough umph from it?

Mark

IF the question was for me , yes I use a badger cyclon II ( I think ) and its prefect , I dont have to worry about moisture trap and stuff .

I also use it for this purpose. My compressor was more on the cheap side and didnt have enough ummph (psi) to do the job. I have switched to a 2 gallon oiless compressor, alittle but works great, it has pressure regulator and my friend is going to install a set up that uses quick disconnects so that I can use anyone of my 3 airbrushes (paint gun-like auto motive guys use, the badger and my airbrush for fine detail and cake work) They are definetly workhorses especially for the price.

Is anyone airbrushing with luster dusts? What do you mix them with, and in what ratio?

Is anyone airbrushing with luster dusts?  What do you mix them with, and in what ratio?

chef rubber sells these pre-mixed with alcohol. i'm sure you can do the same using denatured alcohol which will evaporate after spraying. don't know what ratio though. enough to make a liquid?

Is anyone airbrushing with luster dusts?  What do you mix them with, and in what ratio?

chef rubber sells these pre-mixed with alcohol. i'm sure you can do the same using denatured alcohol which will evaporate after spraying. don't know what ratio though. enough to make a liquid?

would there be any problem with clogging the nozzle?

i don't think so considering you can use the airbrushes with straight cocoa butter with no ill effects. just thin out the luster dust with alcohol until it is more liquid than paste? but i'm just speaking in theory, not from practice.

I've experimented with it. Didn't have any significant clogging issues. But I was just using vodka, which didn't evaporate as well as I would have liked, and I figured there had to be some people on here who'd tried it!

I've experimented with it.  Didn't have any significant clogging issues.  But I was just using vodka, which didn't evaporate as well as I would have liked, and I figured there had to be some people on here who'd tried it!

Is denatured alcohol safe or do you need something like Everclear?

i would worry more about the safety of the luster dusts over the use of denatured alcohol. the alcohol will evaporate, but you are actually ingesting the luster dusts.

you'll notice on chef rubber's web site that they offer fda approved lusters and "decor" colors. the decor colors are not fda approved. doesn't mean that they're poisonous per se, but they aren't meant for consumption in large amounts.

from information i've read, denatured alcohol isn't a problem.

edited to add: but if you're at all concerned, vodka or everclear or another clear alcohol would probably work just as well.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

I'm not sure denatured alcohol is what you'd want in this instance, unless you're referring to something different than what I'm finding in my web searches:

"Denatured alcohol is ethanol to which poisonous and foul-tasting chemicals

have been added to make it unfit for drinking. There is more than one

recipe for denaturing alcohol; some add methanol or isopropanol, some

gasoline, and so on."

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00102.htm

I believe Everclear is recommended, because its higher alcohol content means that it evaporates more quickly.

Could anyone recommend an airbrush and suitable compressor for spraying coloured cocoa butter into moulds for making chocolates?

Advantages/disadvantages etc. Any advice much appreciated.Many thanks :cool:

I have been using a less expensive one by Badger 250, I have it hooked to a 2 gallon compressor (pretty noisy-but the price was right) I have to turn the pressure down or my whole shop becomes like a Cheech and Chong Movie.

You get the whole setup and really good airbrush supplies from Bearair.com

hi! I am interested in the comment aboutthecompressor can not being safe for eating. I amsure I saw a demo done in which the comressor can was used... Does anyone have more info on this? How do I know if it is safe or not?

Thanks,

Lior

hi! I am interested in the comment about the compressor can not being safe for eating. I am sure I saw a demo done in which the compressor can was used... Does anyone have more info on this? How do I know if it is safe or not?

Thanks,

Lior

You can look up the chemicals from the ingredient list online. I thought I did so when I first got the can of propellant and, because of what I found chose not to use them. It's been a long time and I don't remember exactly what I found but it wasn't good.

Hi! I emailed Badger and asked about the safety of the compressor can for food and they do not recommend using it for food products. Thank you somuch for warning me. I clearly remember seeing a N.Love demo in which he used the can!!! I will have to order the compressor- I need so many things to start up a little business!!!

Lior

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By curls
      So I've remelted some Valrhona Azelia that was extra from another project and even at 45° C the chocolate has small lumps. If I press a lump against the side of the melter (or between my fingers) it smooths out but I can't remove all the lumps that way. For tonight, I poured all the chocolate through a sieve and pushed the lumps thru with a silicone spatula. That solves the problem for today but I want to know, what caused those lumps in the first place? Also, if this happens again, is there a better way to correct the problem? I have never had this happen before with any couverture (including the Azelia) and hope you can tell me how I can prevent this from happening .
    • By anonymouse
      I've been working with the Boiron purée recipe tables (chocolate and PdF, ice cream) - some good successes.  However the document is very terse and I wondered whether anyone who is experienced with these formulae might clarify what the expected result is:

- "Fruit ganaches" and "Fruit and caramel ganaches".  I think these are supposed to produce a ganache for cutting and enrobing, although when I tried it came out far too soft to be dipped???

- "Ganaches to be combined with fruit pastes" - I think these are to be layered above PdF and enrobed - is that right?

- "Chocolate molded sweets" - Are these intended to be served as is, ie moulded without a layer of couverture going into the mould first? However the instructions talk about pouring into a frame.

- "Fruity delight" - looks like a fairly light dessert to go into a parfait glass.  Has anyone done these and how do they turn out?  How do they compare to the sabayon-based ones in the Boiron ice cream book?

I'm going to start working through some of the ice creams next week and it will be interesting to see how these turn out.

Thanks for any advice.

• By anonymouse
      As a newbie here I thought, before piling in with my own questions, I'd pull together some of the things I've learned in my first months of chocolate making - in case this helps others who embark on the same path.  

Many of these learnings came from eGullet, some from elsewhere, and I'm very grateful for all the many sources of experience and insight.  Cooking technique is quite personal so of course not everyone will agree with my idiosyncratic list of course.

Most useful equipment so far

Cooking isn't really about the equipment - you can make fine chocolates with hardly any equipment - but here are the things which have helped me the most.

1. Small tempering machine.  This got me started on chocolate making with a superb easy path.  The ChocoVision Rev 2B (with the "holey baffle" which increases its capacity) just gets the tempering perfect every time.  Yes, I could temper in the microwave or on a slab, but it's great to take away any uncertainty about the final finish, by using this great machine.  Downsides: continuously noisy, doesn't have the capacity for large batches.

2. Plenty of silicon baking mats (Silpat clones).  I use these not just for ganache and inverting moulds onto, but also just to keep the kitchen clean!  Working at home, I create a lot of mess and found I could reduce the risk of divorce by spreading large sheets (60x40cm size) across the work surface.  So much easier to clean, and I can scrape unused chocolate back into the supply for next time.  
      I get mine directly from China through AliExpress where they are about 1/3 of the local price.  Then, for a further cost saving I ordered a couple of sheets of stainless steel at exactly the same 40x30 size, from a hobbyist place, and stuck some rubber feet underneath. The silicon mat + steel sheet can then easily be carried to the cool room. I got metal bars made up by another hobbyist place (an eGullet suggestion) which was a cheap alternative to caramel bars.

3. Scrapers.  Life got better when I stopped trying to scrape moulds with a regular palette knife.  I found we had two Japanese okomoniyaki spatulas from Japanese cooking which were perfect!

4. Polycarbonate moulds.  Again in order to afford a bunch of these, I get them from China via AliExpress where they are £5-£7 each (including shipping) rather than £18 (+£10 shipping) locally.  If I were starting again I'd buy little squares and half-spheres first, because these are easy to decorate with transfer sheets and cocoa butter respectively; plus a bar mould for quickly using up some extra chocolate or making a snack for the family.  Magnetic moulds are not in my view essential for the beginner because you can just apply the transfers manually - but they are very easy to use.

5. Hot air gun - little Bosch paint stripper from Amazon.  Always kept to hand to sort out anything which crystallises too quickly in the bowl or on my equipment.

6. Fancy packaging.  We got some little boxes in bright colours with silver lining - great to turn your experiments into gifts. Quite expensive because you have to buy quantities, but worth it we felt.

If I were working at scale I think my top 5 would also include a vibrating table, but that's beyond my means.

Best sources of learning so far (apart from eGullet of course)

1. Callebaut website - fabulous range of videos showing how a master does the basic techniques.  Also Keylink (harder to find on their website - look in "knowledge bank") which is refreshingly straightforward.

2. Several books recommended on this forum.  Once I got past the basics, I delved into two masterpieces: Wybauw ("The Ultimate Fine Chocolates", a revised compilation of his previous books) and Greweling ("Chocolates and Confections"). These are just awe inspiring.

Most useful ingredients so far

1. Callebaut couverture "callets" in 2.5kg bags - quick to measure, easy to re-seal.  Everyone should start with 811 and 823, the "standards" ... but I soon moved to more exotic flavours.  Current favourites are Cacao Barry Alunga (rich milk), Callebaut Velvet (white but not as cloying as the usual one; lovely mouthfeel), and half a dozen Cocoa Barry dark chocolates which go with particular ingredients.

2. Boiron frozen fruit purees. These are just amazing.  I struggled with lots of different approaches to fruit flavouring until I discovered these.  The problem is that most liquid purees have a short life span and are quite expensive if you only need a little quantity - whereas the Boiron ones just live in a neat, stackable tub in the freezer.  Grab a flavour, pop it out onto a chopping board, slice off what you need, return the rest to the freezer.  And the range is fabulous.  So far I've particularly enjoyed raspberry, passion fruit, kalamansi (wow!) blackcurrant, and Morello cherry.  (I'm experimenting with banana but most banana chocolate recipes seem to need caramel which I don't find so easy to perfect.)

3. IBC "Power Flowers" so I can mix my own coloured white chocolate with a wide palette of colours, for brushing or piping into moulds as decoration.  Quite tricky to scale down to the tiny amounts I need, but I found this far better than heating little bottles of cocoa butter and being restricted to the colours I had.

4. Marc de Champagne 60% - great for truffles.  My supplier sends it in a little chemical bottle which is a little un-champagne-like, but never mind.  Rose drops (oil-based) were also useful for truffles if you like that sort of thing.

Suggestions for learners (aka things I wish I had got right)

1. Start learning in winter.  There is a HUGE amount of cooling needed in chocolate making; once we had cold weather we could close off a room, turn off its heating, and create a cool room.  Made a big difference to productivity (and quality!).

2. Don't do anything involving caramel, marshmallows, turkish delight, or other temperature-critical sugar work until you are confident with everything else - or you will get demoralised quickly.  Or maybe I'm just rubbish at these techniques.

3. Learn simple decoration (cocoa butter colour, texture sheets etc) early on.  These make a big difference to how everyone will react to your work.

4. Don't rush.  Chocolate making takes a lot of (elapsed) time.  Give things time to crystallise properly.  I find there is always an endless amount of cleaning-up to do while I wait :-)

• By JohnT
      I have heard over the years of bakers using beetroot in chocolate cakes to "enrich" them. I have never done this and I am not too fond of beetroot in its various forms (a childhood "thing"). However, I have been requested to bake a chocolate cake using "beetroot juice" in the recipe - the person requesting the cake even supplied me with the recipe!

Right, this is a first time for me doing this and I need to make a sample cake to make sure it results in an edible cake. The recipe calls for 250ml (a metric cup) beetroot juice. So my question is, how would I produce a cup of this beetroot juice? Just wiz a few raw beets in a blender and strain out the juice? Do I boil the beets first or use them raw? Ignorance is sometimes bliss - but sometimes not.

Help with this dilemma would be appreciated for this beet ignorant sod in "Darkest Africa".
      John.
    • By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!