• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Italian Market Festival

zoe b

Oops. Bummer about Harold there.

Presumptive next Mayor of Philadelphia Michael Nutter was kissing babies, gladhanding the crowd and enjoying a roast pork sammie at Esposito's while I was there too. The cadre of politicos on their cell phones surrounding him were also enjoying Esposito's finest.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Where was the elote? I couldn't find it. :sad:

Oh well, I managed to do well without it. We had a free salad at the Sorrento stand, and I scored a free jar o tomato sauce next door. Then it was on to the more serious stuff! Espositos!! That pig was delicious, and there was lots of jus to soak it up. And the skin was the best part of the festival. I probably took more than my fair share, but I noticed that a lot of people weren't partaking, so I took their share instead. Heh-heh.

Next we went for soft shelled crabs. Cold, but tasty. Our last savory stop was tacos al pastor. We've had these before, but it was fun seeing the big hunk of meat on the street, and the cook carving the pork, then flicking a small piece of pineapple on the taco.

We finished off with a cannoli at Isgros. I finally checked my voicemail and noticed that Katie called. We met up briefly, but by that time, it was so crowded, and we were stuffed, so we headed off for home. Didn't get to see the bigjas family.

No mango on a stick, but I did noticed lots of chili and lime by the stands.

Despite the mass crowds, a pretty good day.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

he dead.  he was the leader of the group, but it wasn't till the 70s when teddy pendergrass was the lead singer (but the group was still called harold melvin & the blue notes) that they really took off.  then teddy was like, dude i'm the lead singer why isn't my name on the group?  and he bailed.  anyway, harold melvin died about 10 years ago from a stroke. 

and yesterday they were a lot of fun.  baby buddy slept through the entire thing.  don't know how he did that.

OT but germane aside: It's been 25 years since the auto accident on East River^W^WKelly Drive that left Teddy Prendergrass a quadriplegic. One of the local R&B stations is sponsoring a tribute concert next month.

I really need to manage my finances and my time better. I missed both the Rittenhouse Row and "Italian" Market festivals this year. More's the pity, for I would have loved to run into all of you.

However, the 25th approaches, so I ought to be able to spare one of those other outings I said I'd organize. Watch for the relevant threads to pop up at the top of the list soon.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The only downside to living a block away from the market is the traffic on festival days! Lots of honking helped me to get up early and beat the crowds on both days though.

We had some Mango-on-a-stick (Mango Florettes? Stangos? Micks?) with lime and chili powder. Lovely. We had a crabcake from Anastasi that was more like a giant Crab Sphere. Pretty good and the sauce was very good. We went allll the way to the bottom of the market and had some Horchatta and Limey Drink from the Taqueria while we waited for the tacos. SO DELICIOUS. (We went back Sunday morning to score some more)

On the way back up we scored a funnel cake from George's and a canolli from Isgro's, Termini's and Cosmi's. We did a taste test back at the apartment and concluded Termini's had the lightest, thinnest cripiest shell and smoothest filling.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

• 1 year later...