• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation Near BAM

ladydisdain

We're seeing Cymbeline at BAM on Saturday afternoon and would like to have dinner in Brooklyn after. The only place I've ever eaten in the entire borough is that Viennese place across the street and I didn't like it. We are happy to walk a ways, take a cab somewhere, or hop on the subway if necessary (although walking distance is preferable).

Nothing really spicy, no Indian food, nothing seafood-heavy; other than that we pretty much eat everything - Japanese, Thai, Chinese, pizza, Greek, Ethiopian, Venezuelan, Mexican, gastropub, pubby-pub, sandwiches, whatever. We'll be dressed neatly but not fancily, and would prefer in the $20 and under per entree range.

Suggestions, please? Tell me what I've been missing by never leaving Manhattan when I visit.

Cupcake Planet: my (possibly obsessive) cupcake-centric 'blog

Tell me what I've been missing by never leaving Manhattan when I visit.

This link below will take you to a thread on restaurants near BAM. Most of the restaurants mentioned within are geared for feeding the pre-BAM set, and as such, they're okay. But they're no better than that, and they certainly wouldn't show you what you're missing by never leaving Manhattan.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1193506

Since you are seeing Cymbeline first and eating later, I'd suggest that you check out some of the better restaurants within walking distance of BAM. Franny's or Ici in Prospect Heights. Or, walk down Fifth Avenue in Park Slope, which has become restaurant row, and eat at Al di La, Tempo or Stone Park Cafe. Alchemy's been getting good play on Time Out New York (haven't been yet myself). These places would give you a much better idea of what Brooklyn can offer than any of the pre-BAM places.

Listen to H. - she knows!!!

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

That link takes me to the main forum index and I've not been able to get the thread come up by searching.

My friends now would like to have brunch or lunch instead; does a pre-theatre meal change the recommendations any?

Cupcake Planet: my (possibly obsessive) cupcake-centric 'blog