• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My latest foodie creative project

K8memphis

Clickety here, please. I did the food and the table decor.

The snowflakes are piped chocolate.

The pate a choux is all just piped. I never make sweetened pate a choux. I just use the old recipe out of the New Doubleday cookbook. Works every time. Umm, I think the biggest issue with it is to bake it off long enough. Should I add sugar? I've got the Ong recipe but it just seems so cluttered with ingredients although I bet it's awesome.

The dang gingerbread wafted it's noxious fumes over my sugar crazed soul constantly compelling me to eat more cookies. It wasn't my fault! :biggrin:

Umm, the cheesesticks were awesome! I thought I overdid the cayenne because I wanted 3/4 of a teaspoon. And I used 3/4's of a spoon that measures one and a half teaspoons (in other words a half tablespoon measure). Oopsie but they were a big hit.

I shoulda got pictures of people eating the stuff but...I'm not that great at the photos. But one girl ate the chocolate snowflake just like you would eat real snowflakes. Mission accomplished!!! :laugh:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Beautiful, and so clever.

Blue edges for the waterlilies, to blend them into the water - oh my!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Great work K8! Love the bread sculpture, the sleigh, the swans.. Heck, I love it all!! Any idea how many hours you invested into this project??

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Ok I am somewhat recovered from my journey into cyber space jet lag (doing the webpage)

So here's a coupla shots for all my buddies here, some not shown on the webpage.

The mixer in action. I really need to try the sugar in the cream puff batter thing.

gallery_19538_4598_1457592.jpg

Using half toothpicks punched into foil covered styrofoam to make the pate a choux

letters stand up. Easy Peasy. I'm gonna try choux for wedding cake monograms.

See if I can successfully paint it white. So easy and user friendly.

You can get so much nice detail.

gallery_19538_4598_1380932.jpg(words)

My first bread sculpture. I baked the lattice part weeks early then just added the other

and re-baked the whole shebang.

gallery_19538_4598_307674.jpg bread

More chocolate piped snowflakes.

gallery_19538_4598_329281.jpg

Cheese sticks before being transformed into wheat with an edible marker.

gallery_19538_4598_1687986.jpg

The Lily Pond.

In the immortal words of the cigar chomping, grinning George Peppard on A Team,

"I love it when a plan comes together." :biggrin:

gallery_19538_4598_99056.jpg (pond)

edited to say: Is that swan doing the side stroke? :raz:

More to be seen on acmecakes.com--see link in first post.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Great work K8! Love the bread sculpture, the sleigh, the swans.. Heck, I love it all!! Any idea how many hours you invested into this project??

Quite a few. It was fun because I had plenty of time and I could back this up beautifully where the bread sculpture was done way early, the sleighs, the flowers, pussywillow, so many things could be done so far in advance. I did work long and hard on it. But I so enjoyed the challenge.

Thank you, kind egullet friends.

On the other hand, that tomato boy is scary looking  :raz:

And wouldn't you know that's green food coloring mixed in that theatrical white stuff actors use. Good thing she wasn't dressed as a chef. She gladly would have chopped him for salad many times over growing up and even into last week I'm sure. :laugh:

Wow! Great work! Loved the waterlilies...and the words...and well, all of it! Beautiful.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

K8, FANTASTIC! I love the way your mind works....the lily pond is absolutely fabulous!

Those lily pad cookies are giving me ideas! :hmmm:

Congratulations, you should be very proud of your accomplishments....in the kitchen, behind

the camera, and posting them...WHEW!

www.onetoughcookienyc.com