• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand marnier drinks.

Danne

I've got an old bottle of Grand Marnier and I don't like it...

I've tried drinks with cointreau and used G.M instead of the Coin.. but I think that the drinks with cointrau is much better..

Anyway, can you help me with some recepies of your favourite drinks with G.M?

What taste do you think it works greate with? I've been experimenting with milk and it's not bad.. but not that good either...

So please give me some drinks och ideas so that I can get some inspiration.

Satan's Whiskers (Straight) is a good one. I've seen it as equal parts gin, white vermouth, red vermouth, orange juice and Grand Marnier (use regular orange curaçao instead of Grand Marnier and it's "curled") plus a few dashes of orange bitters. Some people like to dial back a bit on the orange juice and Grand Marnier.

cocktailDB has many recipes with Grand Marnier that might interest you.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

At home, I go through a bottle of Cointreau for every ounce of Grand Marnier I pour, but for some reason it gets requested a lot at work, most commonly in Margaritas. I personally attribute this to marketing, as I find that Grand Marnier really only works in drinks designed around it's flavor profile. Otherwise, I find that it weighs down a drink, especially one where Cointreau is intended, such as a Sidecar, Margarita, or Cosmopolitan. And as far as drinking it by itself, yeah I don't care much for it either. However, when I tried the Cuvee de Sequicentenaire (aka GrandMa 150) I thought that that was what the stuff should have tasted like all along, much lighter. Unfortunately it's over $200/bottle :shock:

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Grand Marnier does well in drinks that call for orange curacao. Makes a great Mai Tai.

Thank you. Grand Marnier is an old-school orange curacao, based on (young) cognac as many were, rather than neutral spirit. This is important for reasons of texture--young or not, that cognac will be a pot-stilled spirit, with a nice thickness of texture, while most of the orange curacaos available today are based on neutral--i.e., continuous still--spirits, and hence have to get their texture from extr sugar and glycerine and suchlike.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

I like to sub Grand Marnier for orange curaçao sometimes, but often find that I have to rebalance the drink because it is substantially less sweet than orange curaçao. For example, a Pegu Club made 4:1:1 with orange curaçao balances just right, but there have been a few times I've had to use Grand Marnier in this drink and 4:1:1 ends up quite a bit over on the sour side of balanced.

--

I don't think Grand Marnier has an appreciably different sweetness level than Marie Brizzard Curacao, but it does have a much more powerful and more distinctive flavor than 'regular' Curacao, which I don't think works in all applications. I love it's use in the Improved Holland Gin Cocktail, for example, but to me the more powerful flavor (as opposed to the sweetness) can unbalance something like a Pegu Club unless an equally powerful gin is used. I will have to try it out in a Mai Tai, which has been on my to-do list for some time.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I've got an old bottle of Grand Marnier and I don't like it...

Anyway, can you help me with some recepies of your favourite drinks with G.M?

What taste do you think it works greate with?

There's always Blueberry Tea - equal parts Grand Marnier and amaretto plus hot orange pekoe tea.

Or just pour hot tea over an ounce or so of Grand Marnier on its own. This is nice with some simple cookies/biscuits after dinner.

I also add it to a red wine spritzer for a vaguely sangria-ish flavor. (Pour red wine over ice in a large wine glass, add sparkling water and half an ounce or to taste of GM).

Another drink I call an Orange-Orange Martini. Fresh squeezed or good quality not-from-concentrate orange juice added to vodka + Grand Marnier. I like an orange juice with a bit more sour than sweet to balance the sweetness of the GM.

Roughly, 1.5 ounces of vodka, 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of Grand Marnier and 2 ounces of orange juice. Shake over ice and strain into a chocolate-rimmed martini glass, if that appeals. (Melt chocolate in microwave and rim glass. You can do that in advance, of course. )

Use Terry's Chocolate orange for rimming or garnish with a segment of a Terry's chocolate orange if you like.

Yep. There's even a thread on it here.

The Per Se Cocktail

2 oz : Ciroc vodka

1 oz : Pineau des Charentes

Rinse : Grand Marnier

Dash a little Grand Marnier into a chilled cocktail glass. Rotate to evenly coat and shake out the excess. Stir vodka and Pineau des Charentes with cracked ice and strain into prepared cocktail glass. Garnish with a gooseberry and lime twist (the actual garnish changes, but this is the one from the article).

--

• 6 years later...

I don't use Grand Marnier very often in cocktail but I found this interesting drink last night on the Cocktail Virgin Slut blog while researching cocktails that combine cynar and maraschino.

Sous le Soleil [exactement?]

Cali Gold

1.5 oz cognac

3/4 oz grand marnier

1/4 oz maraschino liqueur

1/4 oz cynar

1/4 oz mezcal

dash whiskey barrel-aged bitters

It tastes briny and surprisingly fresh for a cocktail that does not contain citrus.

9039851694_57c0ea466d_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)