• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four Star Resaurants

fnydm4

Mobil ranks on a five-star scale. The Chronicle uses four, and has designated five restaurants:

Aqua

Chez Panisse

Fleur de Lys

French Laundry

La Folie

Gary Danko has three-and-a-half stars from the Chronicle. Fifth Floor has three. Hahahaha. Whatever.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

how about san francisco magazine ratings? i believe they're on a four star scale as well. i tend to trust their critics more than mr. bauer at the chronicle.

mike

btw, masa's and the french laundry have four stars. fifth floor just picked up their award for the best restaurant in the city, i believe.

fatguy- have you eaten at danko and fifth floor?

fatguy- have you eaten at danko and fifth floor?

I wish. But no, I'm speaking based on intimate familiarity with Laurent Gras's cuisine here in New York and the reports I've heard from the people I trust which basically indicate that Fifth Floor is already a better restaurant than Peacock Alley ever was. If that's the case, they need to add an extra star to the ranking system.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

fatguy-

I've been to danko's. Really, really spectacular service. The food was real good too. I'm not too familar with many fine dining places, but I thought it was fantastic. I had a chance to visit the fifth floor as my gf's birthday was a few weeks ago and we were gonna celebrate, but we visited La Folie instead. Nice food. If it were up to me, i woulda liked to have been to fifth floor to try gras' food which I've heard so many good things about. maybe next year.

mike

I've had the tasting menu (lunch) at Aqua and it was great. I went to Fluer De Lys and wasn't overly impressed, but then again, I was distracted by the overbearing decoration and that free drinks (big problem is that I often go to top restaurants on someone else's tab). The only time I hear about Fifth Floor is on this site and when reading SF "best of" articles. I don't recall ever hearing of anyone going. La Folie is supposed to be excellent. I used to live nearby and took my coffee at the Boulangerie next door. The staff at La Folie were always milling about, and they're good people.

From my 2 1/2 years of eavesdropping, Gary Danko is the place to go in SF. Ches Panisse in Berkely. French Laundry in America.

• 2 weeks later...
the reports I've heard from the people I trust which basically indicate that Fifth Floor is already a better restaurant than Peacock Alley ever was.

I was a huge fan of Gras's at Peacock Alley--felt it (and he) were totally underrated. I dined at Fifth Floor a month ago and didn't feel it measured up. It was very, very goo--a warm summer salad, with gorgeous tiny vegetables poached in vinaigrette served atop a purslane salad, blew me away. But other dishes were disappointing, and the place as feels like a money-making-machine--completely unlike Peacock Alley. I think he's tremendously talented, but based on only one visit, I don't feel he's shining there.