• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paella—Cook-Off 31

snowangel

Plan tonight is paella.  Since my Darto warped I'd been looking for a responsive pan that was less likely to warp.  Yesterday I took delivery of a Falk.  The Falk is slightly larger than the Darto but still fine for one person or two, allowing for leftovers.

As it happens I have a lid that fits the Falk.  Normally I don't cover my paella at the end of cooking, though I have read one should.  Newspapers I'm told are traditional.  At work we have an almost unlimited supply of newspapers that we've not been putting out for patrons because of COVID concerns.  But since I have a lid that fits would it be OK just to use the lid for five minutes or so after the paella cooks rather than worrying with newspaper?  Or is the purpose of the newspaper to absorb extra moisture?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Interesting as covering is not in my experience. Do let us know how it goes. I always visualize paella in the field over an open fire - were I lucky enough Rabbit and snails maybe. 

• Thanks 1

First light for new Falk pan:

Paella08072020.png

Not all was perfect.  Unlike my last paella there was no socorrat*.  Normally I cook my rice before adding the stock but this time I added the rice to the already boiling stock.  Scallops made a nice addition.  Everything was tasty.

*socorrat can be a euphemism for burnt rice.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

831201485_Chickenreadyforpaella08-16IMG_1888.jpeg.e64f0c788fbbbe29374091726b68639b.jpeg

Lately, I've taken to removing the skin from chicken parts, if the chicken is to be braised or otherwise cooked where the skin would end up not being as appetizing as if the bird were roasted. Hence, the legs, thighs, neck and wings (if the skin is a pain in the ass to remove, why bother I say), cut up and generously salted hours prior. The back, wing tips, drumstick knobs, gizzards, and other assorted saved parts made stock.

Then, browned the chicken well, removed it and proceeded with making the sofrito.

Somewhere, in some resident cookbook, it was read that scallions are sometimes used to divide up the paella, so that everyone knows where their portion starts and ends. I was always a terrible art student.

1883247690_Paellachicken08-16.jpeg.9eaa2fd4fb67fa278cf33cfb97cac84b.jpeg

But was always good at getting the biggest portion. My sisters didn't have a chance.

565337511_Paellaeaten08-16.jpeg.f03bc60f65301085590e218d926d34b7.jpeg

A very tasty version.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@weinoo, how much rice to what size pan was that?

Hang on - that's my 10.5" paella pan and last night I used 1.25 cups of Bomba. And almost 4 cups of stock. (Actually, in this case, 3 cups of stock and a cup of water; yesterday's stock was rich).

There was enough for dinner last night and I just reheated the leftovers in the CSO for us for lunch and it was enough again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Hang on - that's my 10.5" paella pan and last night I used 1.25 cups of Bomba. And almost 4 cups of stock. (Actually, in this case, 3 cups of stock and a cup of water; yesterday's stock was rich).

There was enough for dinner last night and I just reheated the leftovers in the CSO for us for lunch and it was enough again.

Thanks.  Your pan is the same size as mine but I think you used more rice.  As I recall I used 200g last time.  Next time I make paella I think I'll try more rice.

26 minutes ago, weinoo said:

200 gram is around a cup?  I use weights whenever I work with the donabe, as it's around 4:3 water to rice ratio cooking in the  donabe.

Yes, about a cup.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, scamhi said:

here's a well worn guide to paella pan size, rice ratio and servings.

thinking of a paella in the new year.

10 (26 cm).jpg

May we infer you use an 80 cm pan?

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Niece visiting from Sydney made paella today. Shopped at locl chain markt so I warned her not to confuse Mexican chorizo and Spanish. She found a nice one. House smells great. She did spring for saffron. Proteins are chicken and shrimp plus the sausage.

IMG_1811.JPG

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Makes me wanting paella.

Her add of lemon was good. My dad's forst encounter with shell on shrimp at 99 years and 10 months but he plowed through.

• Like 2