• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paella—Cook-Off 31

snowangel

• 3 months later...

Paella09262022.jpg

Last night's disappointing paella.

Inspired by @scamhi's guide, I cut the amount of rice in half to 100g for my 28cm pan.  I used cooking times from Jeff Koehler's La Paella:  10 minutes on high followed by 8 minutes on low, plus an additional minute since my rice was Bomba.

While I weighed the rice, I eyeballed the stock, which was the lovely clam broth.  The amount was about two cups.  After cooking I covered the pan for 5 minutes.  The disappointment was the center of the pan was burned, in a pattern matching the induction coil of my Paragon.  Rice at the periphery was very nicely done, but the burned flavor permeated everything.  Clearly 10 minutes on high is not a good idea.

Also disappointing was that I followed Jeff Koehler's suggestion to add green pepper to the sofrito.  I conclude, on the green pepper topic, @rotuts is right.

All was not lost because I learned that 100g of Bomba is a good amount of rice for my size pan.  Now I just need to learn to cook it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou