• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot New Tables in Paris: Cantine, Chateaubriand

John Talbott

Phyllis/Felice suggested that posting this might generate more discussion than if it's lost in giant maw of the Digest.

In the May issue of the Conde Nast Traveler the author(s) list the following as the "hot list" of Tables in Paris:

La Cantine de Quentin

Le Chateaubriand

Les Ombres

Les Petits Freres

Spring.

Meanwhile, Emmanuel Rubin et al in Figaroscope's top five for 2007 so far are:

Spring

Rech

l'Arome

Urbane

Breizh Cafe.

As for me, my 2007 choices would be:

Spring

Les Fines Gueules

Les Fables de la Fontaine

Versance

Rech.

And you?

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

In the May issue of the Conde Nast Traveler the author(s) list the following as the "hot list" of Tables in Paris:

La Cantine de Quentin

Le Chateaubriand

Les Ombres

Les Petits Freres

Spring.

I have to say I was a little surprised to see a restaurant I have never even heard of on Conde Nast's 'Hot List'. Spring, Les Ombres, Chateaubriand, Cantine de Quentin I can understand but Les Petits Freres? I went to see what LeFooding said about them and they didn't have it in their guide and Google didn't turn up much press either. Maybe it's a great place, but you would think to have it make their 'hot list' it would have gotten a bit more press.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I have to say I was a little surprised to see a restaurant I have never even heard of on Conde Nast's 'Hot List'.  Spring, Les Ombres, Chateaubriand, Cantine de Quentin I can understand but Les Petits Freres?  I went to see what LeFooding said about them and they didn't have it in their guide and Google didn't turn up much press either.  Maybe it's a great place, but you would think to have it make their 'hot list' it would have gotten a bit more press.

I finally found a refrence to it in the Oct 9, 2006 Digest
Then came three one-hearters: the first, a branché bistrot to which you’d take your older sister {get it?} Les Petits Freres, 68, av. de la République in the 11th, 01.43.55.52 costing about 35-40 € (with a 16 € lunch formula though) for a roasted Saint-Marcellin with salad, wok-cooked duck with veggies (too well-cooked) and amateurish piccata of chicken.

John Talbott

I finally found a refrence to it in the Oct 9, 2006 Digest

Then came three one-hearters: the first, a branché bistrot to which you’d take your older sister {get it?} Les Petits Freres, 68, av. de la République in the 11th, 01.43.55.52 costing about 35-40 € (with a 16 € lunch formula though) for a roasted Saint-Marcellin with salad, wok-cooked duck with veggies (too well-cooked) and amateurish piccata of chicken.

Hmmm, one heart in Figaroscope and barely a mention elsewhere and it ends up as one of 2007 'hot new tables'? :hmmm:

I am waiting for a dinner report on Le Chateaubriand. I know that several of you have had very mixed experiences at lunch, one fine, one miserable, and that dinner is a completely different menu and style. Anyone had the courage to take the plunge?

eGullet member #80.

I am waiting for a dinner report on Le Chateaubriand.  I know that several of you have had very mixed experiences at lunch, one fine, one miserable, and that dinner is a completely different menu and style.  Anyone had the courage to take the plunge?

Yes Phyllis has several times and will reply I'm sure.

I'm one of the nay-sayers at lunch but then I'm basically a grouch.

John Talbott

I am waiting for a dinner report on Le Chateaubriand.  I know that several of you have had very mixed experiences at lunch, one fine, one miserable, and that dinner is a completely different menu and style.  Anyone had the courage to take the plunge?

Yes Phyllis has several times and will reply I'm sure.

I'm one of the nay-sayers at lunch but then I'm basically a grouch.

Yes, I have been three times for dinner. I went when it first opened and loved it (posted here), went again shortly after and again it was wonderful--one of the best meals I have had in Paris in a long time-- then went a third time and was disappointed. The food was not nearly as good as the first two nights and the service was pretty bad (handsome bobo waiters more interested in smoking behind the bar)

I actually tried to reserve for tonight thinking it would be nice to try it again since I was so enthusiastic after the first two visits, but didn't call until this morning and they were booked.

I also contemplated booking at Les Ombres but after asking around and hearing that it's much more about the view and that the food is just so so I decided to go to Chez Michel instead.

Phyllis/Felice suggested that posting this might generate more discussion than if it's lost in giant maw of the Digest.

La Cantine de Quentin

Le Chateaubriand

Les Ombres

Les Petits Freres

Spring.

Meanwhile, Emmanuel Rubin et al in Figaroscope's top five for 2007 so far are:

Spring

Rech

l'Arome

Urbane

Breizh Cafe.

As for me, my 2007 choices would be:

Spring

Les Fines Gueules

Les Fables de la Fontaine

Versance

Rech.

And you?

John, was the Figaroscope list their favorites for 2007 or their pick for the 'hot new tables'? To me there is a big difference.

John, was the Figaroscope list their favorites for 2007 or their pick for the 'hot new tables'? To me there is a big difference.

Well, you're right, there's a difference. The title is New Restaurants and the text says here are the freshly hatched ones; not hot ones, but Rech, l'Arome + Urbane are listed as Chicos which I assume comes close to hot if you assume to be in style is to be hot, but if you define hot as popular rather than "in" [vogue], I guess there are several degrees of separation. Are we into pilpul here?

John Talbott

Just to add my two centimes about Les Petits Frères: Régal (the food magazine) hosted their anniversary bash there a couple of months ago (1,000 days I think it was), and this kinda makes it an automatic candidate for hotness. :smile:

The food that was served that night was not from the regular menu so I can't say anything about it, but I liked the decor: it had a comfy, lounge-y, vintage feel to it. I know, I know, on ne va pas au restaurant pour manger les rideaux, but I could see how it could become a "hot" (as in "trendy") favorite for the Oberkampf crowd.

Clotilde.

Just to add my two centimes about Les Petits Frères: Régal (the food magazine) hosted their anniversary bash there a couple of months ago (1,000 days I think it was), and this kinda makes it an automatic candidate for hotness. 

The food that was served that night was not from the regular menu so I can't say anything about it, but I liked the decor: it had a comfy, lounge-y, vintage feel to it. I know, I know, on ne va pas au restaurant pour manger les rideaux, but I could see how it could become a "hot" (as in "trendy") favorite for the Oberkampf crowd.

Clotilde.

Good point Clotilde, the Cantine de Quentin could also qualify as
"hot" (as in "trendy") favorite for the Oberkampf crowd.
But when Conde Nast ranks a place ahead of say Rech, which was on both Rubin's and my list, I begin to suspect it's not the food (which of course is the mission of our (eGullet) society), we're talking about, but the buzz, the atmosphere, the fad factor.

Could you explain:

a couple of months ago (1,000 days I think it was),
Thanks

John

John Talbott

Just to add my two centimes about Les Petits Frères: Régal (the food magazine) hosted their anniversary bash there a couple of months ago (1,000 days I think it was), and this kinda makes it an automatic candidate for hotness. :smile:

Clotilde.

Thank you Clotilde, I will definitely give it a try. :smile:

And, of course, no one is ever going to agree on these sorts of lists, my only issue with the Conde Nast list was to find a restaurant on it that was deemed a ‘hot’ new restaurant (which to me means a place everyone is talking about) which I couldn’t find in the mainstream French press. Had it said ‘tables you’ll be hearing about’ or something like that I wouldn’t have questioned it.