• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So.Cial

SBonner

We went to So.Cial the other day and it was amazing! We had oysters and the brie with dungeness crab wrapped in philo, i highly recommend it! Oysters are such a good deal in the afternoon, $15 for a dozen, compared to Joe Fortes $40 a dozen for the same oysters! And the homemade potato chips are dangerously good too! After lunch we went up to the butcher and bought the air-dryed rib eyes, i think they were the best steaks i have ever had, so tasty, and a very good price too. And he gave us an extra bag of chips (i guess they come with a sandwich) because we were raving about them from lunch! I can't wait to try the restaurant upstairs.......

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up some hanger steak from Sean yesterday; he has a small quantity available. very tasty indeed.

SB

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 4 weeks later...

My friend and I had lunch from the butcher shop in the lounge at So.Cial today.

What a fantastic place!

I ordered the medium Roast Beef Sandwich that came with home made potato chips. Best sandwich I have had in years. In it were choices of additions like Roasted pepper slices, garlic aioli, then the regular sandwich stuff (lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle) all on some great bread. I also had a fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookie and a lemonada. Great portions, very reasonable prices, fantastic service, delicious food, all in a great location.

My friend had the potato salad and pulled pork chili which when done, he loudly pronounced that this was his new favorite place.

Be sure to get there before noon as the place was packed almost immediately with the lunch crowd.

We had a chance to talk to Maureen who gave us some background on the space and what they did to restore / renovate everything.

She and the staff were fantastic and we are looking forward to going back to try the food in the main restaurant and Oyster Bar.

Dropped by So.Cial two nights ago after a bit of an absence. Nice changes to the wine list (more BC focus) and a revamped bar and restaurant menu. The trio of house made sausages and the goat cheese cake were a delight. Sean's butcher shop is now stocking duck and chicken along with all the meat. Hopefully he'll branch into cheese so I can make it a one stop location.

SB

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

My friend and I had lunch from the butcher shop in the lounge at So.Cial today. 

What a fantastic place!

I ordered the medium Roast Beef Sandwich that came with home made potato chips.  Best sandwich I have had in years.  In it were choices of additions like Roasted pepper slices, garlic aioli, then the regular sandwich stuff (lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle) all on some great bread.  I also had a fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookie and a lemonada.  Great portions, very reasonable prices, fantastic service, delicious food, all in a great location. 

My friend had the potato salad and pulled pork chili which when done, he loudly pronounced that this was his new favorite place. 

Be sure to get there before noon as the place was packed almost immediately with the lunch crowd.

We had a chance to talk to Maureen who gave us some background on the space and what they did to restore / renovate everything. 

She and the staff were fantastic and we are looking forward to going back to try the food in the main restaurant and Oyster Bar.

What he said! :biggrin: The Bunkle Queen and I headed down for our own version of the Tour de Gastown today, prompted by the continuing stream of great restos opening/flourishing in the area. Since it was a sunny day, we figured we'd walk around and check them all out for future reference (made it by Chill Winston, Jules and Salt, all of which looked visit-worthy). Lunch-wise, our phasers were locked on the Butcher Shop at So.Cial to try the much ballyhooed sarnies. They are indeed as advertised, with a super fresh and tasty selection of toppers to complement the meat. The only sad thing was that they have been so busy, according to the very friendly server, that they have been unable to keep house-made deli meats in stock and are using ham etc sourced elsewhere. As we were there to try the on-site stuff that did limit our choices. We went with the small roast beef (me) and the medium lamb galantine (BQ). Both were excellent and neither one of use broke $10, with the BQ taking half her sandwich home and each of us having a non-alcoholic beverage and the gratis potato chips. The lounge, restaurant and oyster bar all looked spiffy, and the bathroom is beautiful (an important point in my book). Now let's hope the leak in the butcher shop ceiling is fixable.

• 4 weeks later...

This butcher shop is sweet.

They dry age steaks for 30 days.

I went tonight and got some beautiful hanger steak. Took it home, grilled it a couple of minutes on each side, melted a little butter over the top. Must be in the top ten steaks I have ever taken home from a butcher.

They have duck legs, terrines, really nice beef and lamb. Every time I have been in the butcher has given some of his time to talk about the product and the best ways to cook it.

The place is a mad house at lunch when the sandwich crowd is lined up out the door. The trick is to sneak in after work when it is nice and quiet.

The place is a mad house at lunch when the sandwich crowd is lined up out the door.  The trick is to sneak in after work when it is nice and quiet.

Good advice. I have given up going for lunch unless I can get there early.

Cheers,

Anne