• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So.Cial

SBonner

Helen and I had lunch and a mid afternoon oyster break last week at So.Cial in Gastown. Their dinner and brunch menu sounds great. On Sunday we are heading off there to try brunch; the Foie gras and caramelised pear omelette is on my hit list. The downstairs oyster bar was great with a small selection of four local oysters paired up with several house made marinades. The wine list is short in the glass programme but bottle selection is varied and interesting. We're looking forward to the butcher shop opening in the next fortnight or so. Service was well executed and friendly. Nice addition to my hood.

Anyone else been?

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

We watched a Canucks game in the Oyster Bar a couple of weeks ago.

Shared a few appies & a bottle of wine - the Charcuterie Plate was great, however it was placed in front of us without a word so weren't quite sure what we were eating at first - the yumminess made up for the mystery factor, though. The house cured salmon was tasty but tiny.

The service was friendly and attentive, but I find the menu very overpriced. $3.50 for one oyster is just a bit too steep for me...

It is a great room, and the dining room upstairs is beautiful, and I wish them all the best. With such a small menu and those prices they might have a hard time, though.

Edited by Sonja (log)
The belly rules the mind.

We watched a Canucks game in the Oyster Bar a couple of weeks ago.

Shared a few appies & a bottle of wine - the Charcuterie Plate was great, however it was placed in front of us without a word so weren't quite sure what we were eating at first - the yumminess made up for the mystery factor, though. The house cured salmon was tasty but tiny.

The service was friendly and attentive, but I find the menu very overpriced. $3.50 for one oyster is just a bit too steep for me...

It is a great room, and the dining room upstairs is beautiful, and I wish them all the best. With such a small menu and those prices they might have a hard time, though.

Sonia, you are right; the oysters are overpriced at $3.50. I think they will have to look at the menu pricing especially for their entrees and the competition's price points (Jules and Chill Winston).

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

is this the one opened by the people behind Ocean 6 Seventeen? I was given business cards while I was at O617 while in Van, but unfortunately the new place wasn't slated to open until after I left.

good to hear about them if it's the place I'm thinking of. Loved my brunch at O617.

Yes Endy, it is.

Very much looking forward to the butcher shop. Have not had a chance to visit the restaurant but enjoyed a brunch at 6 17 the other week.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Helen and I finally made it to brunch on Sunday. I had the foie gras and pear omelette ($16). Wonderfully prepared and full of foie. I also opted for an addition of the house made sausage and bacon ($5). Helen had the spot prawn, rocket, and dill cream chese omelette ($16) and she was very content and full. Brunch is now going to be a regular Sunday visit. Service was good although the table next to us asked alot of questions the server did not know the answer to (a bit more training I think is in order from the kitchen).

Highly recomended!

Cheers,

Stephen

MY BLOG

So.Cial is now offering its oysters in the downstairs Oyster Bar for $1.25 from 3pm to 7pm... now that's a good deal.

SB

MY BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to take my boyfriend to So.Cial sometime this coming weekend because he's been talking lots of good graces, but I'm wondering if there are any good options there for a strict vegetarian (I eat cheese, milk, egg but no fish). I'm not a picky eater, but meat is definitely out.

Options for the boyfriend are of no concern because he'll eat anything and most certainly enjoy it! :)

Edited by trufflepig (log)

I'd call the restaurant and ask.... Sean is a very talented chef and maybe able to do something for you.

SB

MY BLOG

On June 7th with Books to Cooks, Ireland's most notorious restaurant reviewer, Trevor White, will be at So.Cial to promote his book Kitchen Con. It's $50 for the book, some oysters, and some of Sean's house made meats. Contact Books to Cooks for details and tickets.

SB

Edited by SBonner (log)

MY BLOG

• 3 weeks later...
On June 7th with Books  to Cooks, Ireland's most notorious restaurant reviewer, Trevor White, will be at So.Cial to promote his book Kitchen Con. It's $50 for the book, some oysters, and some of Sean's house made meats. Contact Books to Cooks for details and tickets.

SB

Did anyone get out to this event? The book is great and it would have been fun to have some drinks with Trevor.

SB

MY BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

Helen and I have been back to So.Cial twice in the last fortnight to try some of the great meat Sean Cousins is now offering on the dinner menu. The beef tenderloin is aged for 21 days and cuts like butter. I cannot wait for the butcher shop to open hopefully next week so I can grill some at home. Give it a try when your in my neck of the woods.

SB

MY BLOG

Helen and I have been back to So.Cial twice in the last fortnight to try some of the great meat Sean Cousins is now offering on the dinner menu. The beef tenderloin is aged for 21 days and cuts like butter. I cannot wait for the butcher shop to open hopefully next week so I can grill some at home. Give it a try when your in my neck of the woods.

SB

Hi SB could you please let us know what the butcher shop is like when it opens? I'd love to hear what they have to offer. Thanks. BS

Edited by demiglace (log)

The Custom Butcher Shop and Deli should be open any day! Although they have been saying that for weeks it has been the permits that have held them up. The permits and licences for the butcher shop and deli are totally different from the restaurant and they have had all sorts of odd things holding them up like having to seismically upgrade the tree in the middle of the room! :blink: you will see what I mean when you go there. They were sooooo hoping to have the deli open this weekend for Jazz Fest but it looks like it will be Tuesday now.

Chef Sean Cousins has been working on the meats, most of it in their large walk-ins aging. He may have to bring in a few things for the shop from another supplier at first as some of the products are still a month to 6 weeks away from being ready and properly aged but for the most part the products are all his, and in the future should be 100% his.

All home cured products are nitrate free so there will be the odd thing, corned beef for sure, and some of the sausages that will not have that red colour people are used to, however it is just as moist, tastes wonderful and you will have the benefit of a healthier product. Once the butcher shop is open guests can walk over and choose their meat cuts as well if they like.

These are the items that he will have commonly, although there will be add-ons:

Deli

Charcuterie (smoked, air-cured, salted, etc. ham)

Corned Beef

Duck Prosciutto

Pork Prosciutto

Pork Pancetta

Duck Rillette

Selection of Terrines, Pate’s, galantines

Sausages – Selection to include house made chorizo, crepinette,

Potted Foie Gras

Local and international cheeses

House baked breads

Take-away and sit down

Soups

Sandwiches

Coffee, Tea Espresso

Butcher Shop

Select cut and custom cut Canadian Triple A Beef

Select cut and custom cut Pork

Game

Chicken

Opening hours are tentatively set ay 10am - 9 pm daily, but may open earlier on weekends for grocery shoppers.

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

• 3 weeks later...

The bartender last night at the oyster bar mentioned an opening on Thursday the 12th. This is going to be such a great addition to Gastown.

SB

MY BLOG

Yeah ... I received an announcement from Kate. Roast Suckling Pig sandwiches for $3, and 10% off all charcuterie, terrines & meats.

I think my cholesterol is going up this weekend :huh:

(look familiar Stephen?? :laugh: )

A.

Finally got to So.Cial last night, after seeing Rattitouille (pretty good, accurate). Originally had made resos for Jules, and had asked to be sat at the bar and was told that they don't reserve there, but to ask when we came in. A very unfriendly reception by several people (are they taking the french thing too far?), and were told that the bar was for walk ins which was fine. Got a squishy seat by the window, and then there were no wine lists available. At this point we decided that we were going to leave after ordering the pate, and finally a glass. The pate seemed to be off - with the rest of our experience - the menu was very uninspired, along with the service - they just didnt seem to care. Will not be going back.

So off to Social, and since it was the tour de gastown, wasn't terribly busy, but what beautiful rooms! Sean was in the butcher shop, and showed us all his gorgous meats. We had the charcuterie plate, which was excellent, the cassoulet, which was also great, a bottle of Joie noble and I think that was it. Really looking forward to going back, the oyster bar with it's cozy fireplace, for lunch, and picking up some meat from the butcher. The night was saved and I'm so glad we went.

Finally got to So.Cial last night, after seeing Rattitouille (pretty good, accurate). Originally had made resos for Jules, and had asked to be sat at the bar and was told that they don't reserve there, but to ask when we came in. A very unfriendly reception by several people (are they taking the french thing too far?), and were told that the bar was for walk ins which was fine. Got a squishy seat by the window, and then there were no wine lists available. At this point we decided that we were going to leave after ordering the pate, and finally a glass. The pate seemed to be off - with the rest of our experience - the menu was very uninspired, along with the service - they just didnt seem to care. Will not be going back.

So off to Social, and since it was the tour de gastown, wasn't terribly busy, but what beautiful rooms! Sean was in the butcher shop, and showed us all his gorgous meats. We had the charcuterie plate, which was excellent, the cassoulet, which was also great, a bottle of Joie noble and I think that was it. Really looking forward to going back, the oyster bar with it's cozy fireplace, for lunch, and picking up some meat from the butcher. The night was saved and I'm so glad we went.

I was planning on swinging by there last night, but the tour de Gastown was blocking all of the entrances and I was in my car. Straight home instead.

Perhaps tonight.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Their hours according to website:

Lunch: Monday through Friday from 11 am - 3:30 pm

Brunch: Saturday, Sunday & Holidays from 10 am - 4 pm

Dinner: Seven Days a week from 5 pm

Butchershop & Deli: Seven days a week from 11am - 7pm

Cheers,

Anne

We popped into the butcher shop for lunch on Friday. The portions were, IMO, extremely generous! I ordered the "small" charcuterie of pheasant and pistachio terrine ($4.50). It was about an inch thick,, may 3-4" square, and dense, and came with about seven or eight crostini, and several nice jerkin pickles. Following a serving of their excellent gazpacho, I could barely finish it.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine