• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reheating Leftover Rice

snowangel

If I make basmati in the rice cooker, I use it once and discard the rest, because it dries out excessively, and when revived and reheated it is distinctly mushy.

However, Calrose is a different story altogether. I hold the leftover in the fridge, then reheat on the Quick Rice selection. The Tiger rice cooker has it ready in about 10 minutes.

I don't usually refrigerate or freeze my leftover rice. It is left out on the stove or counter at RT. Reheated rice never quite has the same texture as rice-before-reheating. My fried rice is usually made with 1-2-3 day-old rice left out at RT. Inspection & etc of the rice has served me just fine for more than 30 years as to its viability. Nevertheless, I *do* reheat rice either in the microwave (usually covered w/o additional water) or re-steamed in the pot w/ a little water & plopping onto the gas ring, but not when I aim for fried rice. Those who would faint at the notion of rice held out at RT for more than 2 hours would probably not be folks I would invite to sup with me. ;-)

• Like 1

Raw rice can contain bacteria called Bacillus cereus, which can survive cooking and can cause serious food poisoning. If cooked rice is left too long at room temperature or in a too warm fridge, the bacteria can multiply. B cereus produces toxins that aren’t killed by reheating, so reheating dodgy rice won’t help. So, if you’re storing cooked rice, cool it quickly, keep it in the fridge — and make sure your fridge is cold enough (around 4ºC or a bit less).......except I must admit I am guilty of reheating room temperature rice huh.gif

According to Harold McGee, another way to slow the multiplication of the bacteria is with acid -- which is why, according to him, sushi rice is safe at room temperature.

Reheating rice in a rice cooker just using the warm setting is a very bad idea, especially if you rice has been refrigerated as it should be.. It isn't hot enough. Reheat on the full setting. The principle behind rice cookers works to your advantage. It heat up perfectly to 100ºC, then stop and maintains a reasonable warmth .

I wouldn't however use rice any more than a day old. I've seen people be violently ill after eating reheated rice. It isn't pretty. Especially if you are the one cleaning up behind them. (Behind being a bit of a feature in the syndrome!)

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

After a party last night I brought home a quantity of leftover more or less saffron rice. How best to reheat it? I don't have a microwave. Most of my rice reheating is not all that successful. I have some chicken stock on hand that I could use if that would help.

I'm thinking I could steam the rice in the pressure cooker, bake it in the oven, or use a bain-marie.

Thanks for any help. I am getting hungry, so this question has time value.

The rice is cooked. A pressure cooker would explode the grains.

Bain-Marie... (why am I doing this ?)

WOK IT.

A small amount of oil in the WOK, toss in the cold rice. Turn it and turn again, when 'HOT', :

Sprinkle with seame oil, then soya sauce.

You then have something that your mother should have told you about..

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

A small amount of oil in the WOK, toss in the cold rice. Turn it and turn again, when 'HOT', :

Sprinkle with seame oil, then soya sauce.

You then have something that your mother should have told you about..

And then you have fried rice instead of just heated rice. Not that that's a bad thing ... just, perhaps, a different thing.

... Shel

My lazy way is put a wet-damp paper towel over the rice, cover the whole thing with plastic wrap or lid (or use an extra piece of damp paper towel), and micro the whole thing.

My mom's (better) way is to steam in a bowl, set on a trivet directly in a pot. Throw a couple links of lap cheung on top, splash of sweetened soy, steam it, and there's dinner!