• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reheating Leftover Rice

snowangel

I put the rice in a fairly shallow dish and lay a very damp paper towel over the top. Microwave for 50-75 seconds, stir, zap for another 75 seconds or so. Works great.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Or you can make garlic fried rice! Cold, leftover rice is perfect for garlic fried rice. :biggrin:

Edit: Oops, just saw what you posted about not being fried. I would follow the microwave suggestion - cold water+clear wrap.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I'd add about 2T water, mix, cover with cellophane and microwave.

me too

Not me... No plastic wrap. Just put leftover rice (confirmation needed here: short-grain, Japonica rice) in a rice bowl, put it in the microwave, and simply push the "Heat" button. Works every time.

I'd add about 2T water, mix, cover with cellophane and microwave.

me too

me too, too. Except the amount of water added depends on how much rice I'm reheating, and how dry it was to begin with. If the cold rice is kind of dry to begin with, I add water, but if it's not (I usually cook my rice with a 1+a little:1 water:rice ratio, so it's usually not), I don't. My dad used to cook very dry rice (1:1 ratio), so I would add a bit of water to that rice if I reheated it.

I use my bamboo steamer to reheat all leftovers including rice. When I remodeled my kitchen, my microwave was banished to the basement. Never to return.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

my daughters nursery will not heat rice if we give it her for lunch. They are scared of something. Anyone know what?

Work?

Raw rice can contain bacteria called Bacillus cereus, which can survive cooking and can cause serious food poisoning. If cooked rice is left too long at room temperature or in a too warm fridge, the bacteria can multiply. B cereus produces toxins that aren’t killed by reheating, so reheating dodgy rice won’t help. So, if you’re storing cooked rice, cool it quickly, keep it in the fridge — and make sure your fridge is cold enough (around 4ºC or a bit less).......except I must admit I am guilty of reheating room temperature rice :huh:

• Like 1

. If cooked rice is left too long at room temperature or in a too warm fridge, the bacteria can multiply.

Dang--I just leave the pot of rice on the stove over night--then scoop out rice and heat it up for lunch the next day--it's going to be hard to give up this bad habit.

Zoe

Be careful of the bowl used in the microwave. You want to effectively re-steam the rice, and I would only use a microwave safe Corningware or something similar. Styrofoam or cheap plastic just won't cut it. They can't handle steam temperatures for any length of time without getting soft or failing.

• Like 1
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 6 years later...

After a party last night I brought home a quantity of leftover more or less saffron rice. How best to reheat it? I don't have a microwave. Most of my rice reheating is not all that successful. I have some chicken stock on hand that I could use if that would help.

I'm thinking I could steam the rice in the pressure cooker, bake it in the oven, or use a bain-marie.

Thanks for any help. I am getting hungry, so this question has time value.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I use one of those little collapsible stainless steel steamer gizmos. If you don't have one, or a bamboo steamer, which I assume you don't or you probably wouldn't be asking, then use a colander set in a large pot with a good lid.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I steamed for three minutes in the pressure cooker using the steaming tray. Worked great. Hot rice, not over done. Just perfect. Unfortunately the chicken I reheated in the bain-marie was hard and tasteless, but I guess that's grist for a different thread.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Raw rice can contain bacteria called Bacillus cereus, which can survive cooking and can cause serious food poisoning. If cooked rice is left too long at room temperature or in a too warm fridge, the bacteria can multiply. B cereus produces toxins that aren’t killed by reheating, so reheating dodgy rice won’t help. So, if you’re storing cooked rice, cool it quickly, keep it in the fridge — and make sure your fridge is cold enough (around 4ºC or a bit less).......except I must admit I am guilty of reheating room temperature rice huh.gif

Seriously? Boy have I been doing it wrong for 40 years. My niece told me never to reheat rice, that it could be poisonous, but while she's a lovely girl she tends to be rather, um, flaky is the kind word, when it comes to facts, science, etc. I owe her a mental apology.

Raw rice can contain bacteria called Bacillus cereus, which can survive cooking and can cause serious food poisoning. If cooked rice is left too long at room temperature or in a too warm fridge, the bacteria can multiply. B cereus produces toxins that aren’t killed by reheating, so reheating dodgy rice won’t help. So, if you’re storing cooked rice, cool it quickly, keep it in the fridge — and make sure your fridge is cold enough (around 4ºC or a bit less).......except I must admit I am guilty of reheating room temperature rice huh.gif

Seriously? Boy have I been doing it wrong for 40 years. My niece told me never to reheat rice, that it could be poisonous, but while she's a lovely girl she tends to be rather, um, flaky is the kind word, when it comes to facts, science, etc. I owe her a mental apology.

I really like having leftover rice around. I live by myself and cooking up just a small portion isn't convenient.

But, I always get it into the fridge right away. And frankly, usually even into the freezer.

To reheat, since I have a microwave, that does work. But my favorite method is just to pour boiling water over it. That heats and hydrates it just fine.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Be careful of the bowl used in the microwave. You want to effectively re-steam the rice, and I would only use a microwave safe Corningware or something similar. Styrofoam or cheap plastic just won't cut it. They can't handle steam temperatures for any length of time without getting soft or failing.

Many sources recommend against using plastic in the microwave, citing that the chemicals in some plastic (even those deemed "microwave safe"), when heated in such a manner, can leach into the food. I'm not one to use plastic in my kitchen, so all my microwaving is done in various glass, Corning Ware, and similar containers. Often the containers are nice enough to serve with, especially in less-than-formal situations, like when Toots and I have dinner.

... Shel

I use one of those little collapsible stainless steel steamer gizmos. If you don't have one, or a bamboo steamer, which I assume you don't or you probably wouldn't be asking, then use a colander set in a large pot with a good lid.

I use a strainer, such as this http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=LJhMMnNwgVWTjM&tbnid=U043Zx2xvQXFnM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.culinarykitchenware.com%2Fstainless-steel-strainer-double-mesh.html&ei=Eud3Up33OOrliALf5IDABg&psig=AFQjCNHcpVxfOd-rvsF2WKd49d6oh9_TAA&ust=1383676050973946 set over a pot of water or stock, and then place a lid over it.

... Shel

I use a strainer, such as this http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=LJhMMnNwgVWTjM&tbnid=U043Zx2xvQXFnM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.culinarykitchenware.com%2Fstainless-steel-strainer-double-mesh.html&ei=Eud3Up33OOrliALf5IDABg&psig=AFQjCNHcpVxfOd-rvsF2WKd49d6oh9_TAA&ust=1383676050973946 set over a pot of water or stock, and then place a lid over it.

I've tried that, but the pot lid doesn't settle in tightly.

These little gizmos are really handy. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend you get one. Although I know you don't really like buying new stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Collapsible-Steamer-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000Q4N2LO

Hell, maybe I'll send you one.

I've tried that, but the pot lid doesn't settle in tightly.

These little gizmos are really handy. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend you get one. Although I know you don't really like buying new stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Collapsible-Steamer-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000Q4N2LO

Hell, maybe I'll send you one.

My strainers fit nicely into my 4-quart All-Clad, and the lid covers it very well. Of course, YMMV.

I had, and may still have, one of those steamer thingys, but much prefer the strainer. Just works for me. Thanks for the offer, though.

The strainer I use is a different brand, but quite similar, and quite a bit less expensive.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel