• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best weekday buffet lunch in Kuala Lumpur

I am organising a department lunch and am pondering where to go. Has to be pork free as Muslim colleagues will be going. Was told that buffet is the way to go, but may try to convince the boss to consider going for a tasting menu. Focus is on the quality of food rather than quantity. Money is probably not an issue.

So far, I was thinking either Lafite or Lemon Garden at Shangri La, Kampachi at Equatorial or Jogoya at Starhill.

Any ideas people?

Not Jogoya, definitely more quantity rather than quality there.

Lemon Garden has a pretty good buffet as far as buffet lines go. Lafite I hear has a new chef and the reviews have been mixed - some friends did not like it at all.

Kampachi at Equatorial is alway reliable. Another suggestion would be Cilantro at Micasa.

Lemon Garden has a pretty good buffet as far as buffet lines go. Lafite I hear has a new chef and the reviews have been mixed - some friends did not like it at all.

Kampachi at Equatorial is alway reliable. Another suggestion would be Cilantro at Micasa.

I went to Kampachi a few months back and food quality and service have really gone down the tube. Would not recommend, friends of mine echoed the same sentiment.

What can one find in the steam trays at a weekday buffet lunch in Kuala Lumpur?

Usually a mix of local Malaysian food like fried rice and noodles, beef rendang, satay etc. and western style food. More pricey ones will usually have a wider variety, and usually include some Japanese style food like sushi/sashimi as well.

Have to say that, from my experience, food quality at such buffets is generally not too great.

Edited by kenteoh (log)

I went to Kampachi a few months back and food quality and service have really gone down the tube. Would not recommend, friends of mine echoed the same sentiment.

Oh dear, that is quite distressing to hear :sad: as Kampachi has been the most reliable Japanese restaurant in KL for quite a long while. I really like their toro rolls with chilli padi from the a la carte menu.

Uhm...can I check whether the disspointing experiences were from the al la carte menu or the Sunday brunch buffet?

Oh dear, that is quite distressing to hear :sad: as Kampachi has been the most reliable Japanese restaurant in KL for quite a long while. I really like their toro rolls with chilli padi from the a la carte menu.

Uhm...can I check whether the disspointing experiences were from the al la carte menu or the Sunday brunch buffet?

It was the ala carte menu on a weekday evening.

The Wasabi Japanese restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental is very good. Pricey, no doubt, but if you're thinking Lafite or even Cilantro as possibilities, then Wasabi should make the list.

It's consistent and prepared dishes, as opposed to Sushi/Sashimi, are always of impeccable quality and presentation.

Having said all that, you do pay. Last time I was there, RM780 for 3 persons, including boat loads of sake though :biggrin:

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"