• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staub Sale @ Amazon!

Blondelle

For those who haven't seen this elsewhere, Amazon has several Staub Pieces at great prices. The 8 qt. round is $134.99, and the Coq Au Vin is $110. Those two in Eggplant only. Also a 7 qt. oval in Sunflower yellow for $124.00. The wok is $189.00, and the fall soup pot is terra cotta color and is $99.99.

The Eggplant is really pretty. Here's some images someone had posted in their blog of it.

eggplant-1.jpg

Enjoy!

Anyone get anything? No fun unless you buy and tell ;-). Does anyone have the 8 qt. round? Is it too heavy to be manageable? I had thought it might not be too bad if I took the cover off before moving it. It's about 21 pounds empty with the cover on...ouch!

Does egullet get a cut it we order these?

There used to be "partner" links to Amazon and Jessica's Biscuit but I can't seem to find them.

Here is an eGullet-friendly link to one of the Staub items for sale:

Staub Coq Au Vin 6-Quart Cocotte, Eggplant

I believe once you get there using this type of link, eGullet does get a little something when you make a purchase.

Perhaps a host will weigh in shortly with a proper answer for this question.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Bob: I don't know if you noticed but the sale is only for a few specific items, as Bond Girl mentioned. The eggplant Cocotte is on sale in a few different sizes. If you have the money and are into braising, I would jump on this. I got my 8qt staub on ebay, but it was still about 185$ after shipping; it retails for 220$ish.

I love the 8qt, but it is truely a monster. The weight doesn't really faze me, but it would be a severe problem for some people I think. I have made stock it in before, and draining the stock with the lid on is a workout. Great cookware though, mine can maintain a simmer with the lid on quite a while after I turn the heat off.

Here is an eGullet-friendly link to one of the Staub items for sale:

Staub Coq Au Vin 6-Quart Cocotte, Eggplant

I believe once you get there using this type of link, eGullet does get a little something when you make a purchase.

Yes, if you follow that link (or the one below) and purchase that item, or any other item during that session, the eGullet Society will get a small commission. This doesn't cost the buyer any extra.

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=egulletsociety-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000BARIXQ&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr&nou=1" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I know Gabriel. I was just poking fun at the various list price v. Amazon price differences. I already have the 7qt oval and don't really need another piece right now. I also have a Chamba casserole I do smaller braises with. The ones that are really on sale are great deals for sure.

I did have one question though I hope someone can answer. The Coq Au Vin 6 qt cocotte that looks the same as the Mussell pot? Is it really that much better than using a standard cocotte for the dish? A $130 savings is pretty substantial. Can this be used for other things as well? What's the purpose behind it's design?

thanks

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Whoops! Made a mistake on the wok. It's $89, not $189...sorry! A nice deal on that as it's 14". I ordered the 8 qt. round. Would the person who mentioned they have it know about how much the lid weighs? I though it might be manageable for me without the lid on. I have the LC 7.25 round oven which I haven't used yet, and I'm selling. I was wondering if it might be as heavy as that without the lid, as that size LC is with the lid. Staub is even heavier than LC.

Bond Girl: I just looked at my cocotte, and giving that the shipping weight of it is 21 pounds I'm guessing the lid weighs 6-8 pounds, leaving the staub uncovered at about 13-15 pounds. The LC 7.25 is 13 pounds shipped, so it looks your guess was pretty good.

Bob: Just making sure! Also, I'm not really sure what your asking. There is a 6qt coq au vin for 110, a 6qt mussel pot for 110, and a what I think is a 6qt mussel pot labeled as a coq au vin for 90. The last one is on the second page and I think is just a mixup, it has a mussel pot description in one of the blurbs, and looks identical to the other mussel pots.

The coq au vin cocottes are the same as the round ones, just oval so as to better accomodate whole birds and the like. I prefer the round as I am not doing a lot of whole birds and most burners are round. I can't figure out how the mussel pot works. It looks like it has a fence grating to one side, but I don't see how this one would allow you to collect the juices seperate from the steaming liquid. Seems like another unnecessary specialty pot; why not just steam the mussels in a bowl and collect the juices that way.

I'm interested in buying one of these pieces for my dad as a gift, but I'm not sure which one to get. I think he'd use it mostly for brasing meat, but also for stews/chilis/etc.

Is there a functional difference between a regular cocotte and a coq au vin cocotte? I'm looking at the 6 qt. oval coc au vin cocotte (eggplant), the 7 qt. round cocotte (eggplant), and the 7 qt. oval cocotte (sunflower). This will be his first piece like this, so I'm looking for something that's the most universal (i.e. if you could only have one of these....). I'd been thinking I'd get an oval one because I've heard that shape is less awkward to lift. That leaves the 6 qt. oval coc au vin in eggplant and the 7 qt. oval cocotte in sunflower. I like the eggplant color a lot better - so I guess what I'm wondering is whether the extra quart is worth getting a color I don't really like, or opting for the round one. I'd appreciate any advice you all can give me!

I'd say get the round one. I think it's still big enough to handle just about anything and the color is better. Plus, when you brown foods in the pot, you're not dealing with the sides of the oval that are outside of the burner.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

The Coq Au Vin is the same as the round except in an oval shape. It just has a different knob. I think it's the most versatile for everyday cooking. If he's cooking for a lot of people with leftovers, or if he likes to cook very large batches for freezing then go with the 8 qt. I think the CAV though would be better for everyday cooking, and will still serve 6+. It's not that large of a piece where the ends would hang over the burner too much and cast iron distributes heat very well. It's the perfect size for a 4-5 lb. chicken, or a medium to good size roast. It's about as long as the 8 qt. is wide. About 12".

I'm interested in buying one of these pieces for my dad as a gift, but I'm not sure which one to get. I think he'd use it mostly for brasing meat, but also for stews/chilis/etc.

Is there a functional difference between a regular cocotte and a coq au vin cocotte? I'm looking at the 6 qt. oval coc au vin cocotte (eggplant), the 7 qt. round cocotte (eggplant), and the 7 qt. oval cocotte (sunflower). This will be his first piece like this, so I'm looking for something that's the most universal (i.e. if you could only have one of these....). I'd been thinking I'd get an oval one because I've heard that shape is less awkward to lift. That leaves the 6 qt. oval coc au vin in eggplant and the 7 qt. oval cocotte in sunflower. I like the eggplant color a lot better - so I guess what I'm wondering is whether the extra quart is worth getting a color I don't really like, or opting for the round one. I'd appreciate any advice you all can give me!

Pouncy, what size and color did you order? A note on the Sunflower. Staub discontinued this color as they couldn't produce a consistent glaze. Some of them are a deep and rich color with ocher shading as shown on their site, and some are a pale yellow where the lighter highlights don't show as much. It's a matter of luck on that color if you prefer one to the other. Staub replaced it with their original yellow which is a very bright, opaque, taxi cab yellow shading a touch into the yellow orange. That's color is just called Yellow. I don't think it's as pretty, as I love the white under glaze where the rings and letting are lighter.

Ooooh.  MINE.

Ordered it and should have it in a month or two.  Amazon won't ship it to me here in Japan, so it's going to my mom first.

*squees*

I ordered the 8 qt aubergine Staub and received it in under 2 days. I couldn't believe it.

The pot is enormous and beautiful. Yes it is heavy but not nearly as hard to lift as I thought it might be. However, that was without food in it. We shall see. It really is quite lovely.

M.D.

I ordered the 8 qt aubergine Staub and received it in under 2 days.  I couldn't believe it.

The pot is enormous and beautiful.  Yes it is heavy but not nearly as hard to lift as I thought it might be.  However, that was without food in it.  We shall see.  It really is quite lovely.

M.D.

I think the cover must weigh at least 6-7 lbs., if not more. Just remove the cover first, and then lift it when it's filled with food. Won't be too heavy then, I don't think.