• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ottawa: ISO Take-out/Delivery: Glebe

maggiethecat

My mother's sick, so I'm in my nation's capital helping my father out. I've been catering Mummy's meals to Elisabeth Bruyere and cooking for my sisters at home. This makes for a kitchen that looks like a car wreck for a fifth of the daylight hours. My sisters have uncomplainingly cleaned up behind me in the kitchen for, how long -- three weeks now?

I'm declaring it Sister Appreciation Day, and I'd like to order dinner in tonight so Meg and Julie won't be scouring pots and pans. Any suggestions for good delivery/carryout? (I've got a car, but I don't know Ottawa that well.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

This is from a friend who lives in that area.....

Greek On Wheels is amazing and fast. They have these vegetarian app platters with dolmas, spanikopita, hummus, etc and great brochettes and shwarmas and stuff.

Tuk Tuk Thai is UNREAL. So delicious.

Light of India is in the Glebe--don't think they deliver but their food is fantastic. (They do take-out.)

Vietnamese Kitchen has great pho, but you're better off if you have your own traditional bowl/spoon/chopstick set.

Are you looking for a certain type of cuisine?

you might do better to ask in the toronto and ontario board...

Done. (Because Ottawa is so close to Quebec I always lump it geographically in Montreal's sphere.)

Cali: Bless you! After so seriouly ho hum Chinese from Cathay something last night your suggestions sparkle. (Light of India is five minutes away on foot, and I agree that the food is solid. Carry-out is just fine.) Greek on Wheels is going into the lineup -- in fact they all are.

I'm interested in any and all cuisines, and my mother's house has the Asian spoon/chopstick/bowl thing down.

Is there decent pizza in Ottawa? I always make my own, but time is of the essence here and my sisters have been making pizza noises.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

you might do better to ask in the toronto and ontario board...

Is there decent pizza in Ottawa? I always make my own, but time is of the essence here and my sisters have been making pizza noises.

This is something I'd love to know as well... I have been living in this city for 4 years now and I am still looking..

Otherwise, if Ceylonta (Bank and Sommerset) do take out, it i worth a try. Our small chinatown is not great but you can always find something good there. For instance, you can easily stop at a BBQ and get your duck, pork or chicken that you can complement with whatever you fancy that day. Along there lines, there are also a portuguese rotisserie in the Market (forgot the name) and an African one on Rideau )also forgot the name)... I might investigate a little bit further if I find the time.

I asked my friend about the Pizza, here is what she had to say.

Colonnade's on Metcalfe is probably the most famous sit-down pizza restaurant in Ottawa for regular-type, but I find that the Blackthorn Café in the market has better gourmet-type pizza. Forno Antico on Bronson is also well-known but I personally don't like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ottawa has to be the schwarma capital of North America, which makes sense because of the long-standing Lebanese presence here. Does anyone have a fave schwarma place? (I have to admit that Garlic King near the market has tickled me, because of the crazy delivery van he has. I have no idea if his food is any good.)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Ottawa has to be the schwarma capital of North America, which makes sense because of the long-standing Lebanese presence here. Does anyone have a fave schwarma place? (I have to admit that Garlic King near the market  has tickled me, because of the crazy delivery van he has. I have no idea if his food is any good.)

When it comes to schwarma, I never really found any of the places in the market to be any good. However, Schwarma King on Bank St. and James St. has in my opinion the best chicken schwarma in the city. But if you want a real treat, Mango's further down Bank roughly across from the Value Village makes a good schwarma, but more importantly also makes Lebanese cocktails from fresh ingredients right in front of you. If you have the means, I highly recommend.

Where to begin:

For takeout I would also recommend Greek on Wheels for a good value and good quality greek takeout. For pizza, it depends on what you're looking for. If you like big crust and big cheese then Colonnade or Fida's Pizza are my choices. If you like cheap (and I know someone will curse me for saying this) then I like 1 plus 1 on Bank near lisgar. The rideau location is horrible so DO NOT order from there. If you like thin-crust pizza I would give Calabria a try or possibly pavarazzi's though it's not true thin pizza. There is indeed good pizza but as I said it depends on your tastes a little.

Oh, and I would also vouch for ottawafoodies.com as a good complement of local knowledge to the world of knowledge on eGullet.

Charity and Ashley:

I appreciate your feedback. I drive the length of Bank Street every day and will check out 1 plus 1, Mangos and Schwarma King this week. (Love the idea of Lebanese cocktails!)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com