• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

three bags of maple sugar

binkyboots

so, yesterday I was poking round an interesting corner shop, from the outside it looked a bit messy and dark, but inside it was a treasure trove of loveliness! great ingredients, more fresh herbs than I could shake a stick at, and my holy grail. maple sugar. This stuff is next to impossible to get here in the uk (or it is where I live) and I pounced on it while my husband looked on (faintly bemused)

I bought three bags of maple sugar (roughly 1lb each) and having had a little bit on my porridge this morning (oh, so good) am thinking about what to do with the rest, I'd really like the flavour to shine, it's so delicious.

As our village fair and show is coming up I'm planing to make maple sugar tablet with some of it, I'm entering the tablet class in the food tent and I think the maple should go down well there.

Otherwise I'm stumped, I thought I could make maple sugar marshmallows (maybe I'd wait for autumn for these though) but then wondered if the properties of maple sugar are vastly different to regular cane sugar.

Edited by binkyboots (log)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

You are talking gold!! good for you on your score!!!...

maple sugar cookies Just use a basic sugar cookie recipe and then sub half the regular sugar for maple sugar then sprinkle the maple sugar on top ..they are beyond good!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Binky,

Yes, you have a treasure.

It is incredible dusted on shipped cream over berries. You can also dry small chunks of maple sugar in an oven and mix this with double cream.

It is a wonderful garnish for pumpkin/squash/sweet potato soup.

Use it in almost any type of custard instead of regular sugar. Maple creme brulee, maple creme caramel, maple ice cream, etc.

Roll an ice cream cone in dried maple sugar for a candied cone.

Add to meringues or dust a meringue with maple sugar.

Cook a ham with a savory glaze and dust with maple sugar when you remove it from the oven.

Just don't store it near you tablespoons, you might just eat it straight!

Tim

mmm... I'm thinking I would also like it as a brulee topping over a plain vanilla creme brulee or over a baked rice pudding.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Check out my recipe for "Mock French toast"

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1518.html

You can do it with regular French toast, but it isn't exactly the same.

After the toast has been griddled until done on one side, just before you turn it, sprinkle some of the maple sugar on it and turn immediately.

The maple sugar carmelizes on the sufrace and actually forms a shell that keeps the center of the toast like custard.

You can also melt it on top of creme brulee. I have also used the same method of carmelizing maple sugar on top of individual cheesecakes.

Yeas ago, before granulated maple sugar was so easily purchased (before the internet) I was very impressed at a brunch where they had grapefruit with maple sugar carmelized on top.

And then, of course, there is the classic, maple pecan sticky bun!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hide it in a tin marked cream of tartar and save it all for yourself.

you work too hard feeding your family things you cant have

it would also be good with baby carrots

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association