• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Help with Joconde Transfer

I'm going crazy with my joconde cocoa paste transfer. For a few years I made them with no problems. Recently the cocoa paste has been peeling off after baking or later on . . . when I go to use the joconde the cocoa paste isn't adhered properly, seems to be too close to the outside and rubs off leaving the joconde bare!

I remove the silpat while the joconde is still warm; sometimes the silpat removes perfectly and later the paste rubs off, sometimes the paste comes off with the silpat.

Is my cocoa paste too stiff?

Is my Silpat too oily? I did clean the silpat REALLY well before this last batch this morning.

Help! I need to resolve this, these are a regular order for a local restaurant!

Experience, Ideas?

Thanks. Patricia

I bake off Joconde almost every day.

I have found that whether you use your own cigarette paste or are using a transfer sheet, if you peel off the paper or silpat when the joconde is warm it always works best, and;

like you said, make sure your cigarette paste isn't too stiff or dry. The difference in textures will make the pattern want to come off, if not sooner, then later.

Also, don't make the pattern too thin. Thin, yes, but not TOO thin. I have found all of this information out by trial and error.

I ordered Joconde Biscuit transfer sheets from PCB Creation in France. They are SO COOL. Definitely easier than making your own patterns and it saves time. There's lots of neat patterns to choose from too. The website isn't the easiest to navigate if you speak English......click on PCB Store, then click on Entremets on the left hand side, then click "transfer for biscuit".

Anyway, with the transfer sheets, it's VITAL to peel them off while the cake is warm. I learned that from experience too. :raz:

Edited by chefpeon (log)

Thanks for your response. I think it must be the stiffness of my paste. I vaguely remember adding 25 g. of cocoa powder instead of 20 g., just because I wanted it darker . . . but it must have been just a bit too much. I also have been wondering if when I froze them they were left in too long without covering which would tend to dry them out . . .

I do use the PCB biscuit transfer sheets, they are amazing timesavers and some really fun designs too. The only drawback is I have to be extra careful to keep them away from hot surfaces because they warp within minutes!

Thanks again, I'll soften my paste and see what happens.

Patricia

I bake off Joconde almost every day.

I have found that whether you use your own cigarette paste or are using a transfer sheet, if you peel off the paper or silpat when the joconde is warm it always works best, and;

like you said, make sure your cigarette paste isn't too stiff or dry. The difference in textures will make the pattern want to come off, if not sooner, then later.

Also, don't make the pattern too thin. Thin, yes, but not TOO thin. I have found all of this information out by trial and error.

I ordered Joconde Biscuit transfer sheets from PCB Creation in France. They are SO COOL. Definitely easier than making your own patterns and it saves time. There's lots of neat patterns to choose from too. The website isn't the easiest to navigate if you speak English......click on PCB Store, then click on Entremets on the left hand side, then click "transfer for biscuit".

Anyway, with the transfer sheets, it's VITAL to peel them off while the cake is warm. I learned that from experience too. :raz:

Thanks for that tip, I did not know about that. Can you describe how you use the PCB transfer sheets? I click on 'instructions' on the website, but it doesn't work. Do they go on top of the cake sheet before baking?

You would use the PCB biscuit transfer sheets, just like you were using parchment paper.

Put the transfer sheet on the bottom of your sheet pan. Spread the batter evenly on top. Bake.

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, sprinkle the top with rice flour (my preference), put

a piece of parchment on top, then put another sheet pan over that, then flip the whole thing over.

Remove the sheet pan, then carefully peel the transfer sheet off.

Hope that helps!!! :smile:

You would use the PCB biscuit transfer sheets, just like you were using parchment paper.

Put the transfer sheet on the bottom of your sheet pan. Spread the batter evenly on top. Bake.

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, sprinkle the top with rice flour (my preference), put

a piece of parchment on top, then put another sheet pan over that, then flip the whole thing over.

Remove the sheet pan, then carefully peel the transfer sheet off.

Hope that helps!!! :smile:

ah, that makes sense. It seems it's just as you'd use cigarette paste + parchment.

I am used to chocolate, where the transfer sheet goes on the top (duh, should've known).

Thanks for that tip, will look into it!