• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cooking and Cuisine of Basilicata and Calabria

well they WERE small. and i actually did leave out one aspect of things because i didn't think it would matter that much: they did sit around for a few hours before cooking, because i still haven't worked out how to have a kid and make dinners like that at the same time. i'm thinking the 'marination' time might have infused the meat with garlic flavor--however, the reason i didn't mention it is that i've rubbed meat with garlic and let it stand longer than a couple hours--even overnight--before, and it's cooked up just fine. i just didn't realize that cooking would leave them raw tasting.

well, whatever. good thing i like garlic.

• 5 months later...

Question for Calabria kitchen experts.

My daughter came back from a holiday with Calabrian friends bringing a jar of a hot pungent condiment which she said included chili (obviously) and a fish base.

Anybody any idea what it was? my local Italian grocer has given me a few products, none of which have quite the same kick. I've gone through this thread without success - but totally in awe of some of the mouthwatering food I've seen.