• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Gallop

OK so where were you guys? It was a foodie competition, it was really difficult and I was figuring one of you guys would have been there.

So the deal was you had to answer 8 questions in the Evening Standard, a few that they tried to google proof so only foodies would win, then with a tie breaker of I should come along because….. to get the winners.

Anyway so none of you guys were there, I was really hoping there would be some egullet people among the 10 winners but it was an assortment of foodies and people who are good at winning competitions.

The deal was 4 courses at 4 different restaurants. Starting with canapés at Sketch, fish course at Scotts, main course at the Greenhouse then desert at Locanda Locatelli.

I have to say it was great. I can’t tell you about the canapés at Sketch as I didn’t really eat them, I was really nervous, room full of ten strangers that I was supposed to make conversation with, it felt a bit like a singles night, so I just necked as much champagne as I could which helped me stay there. I’m not so long out of university that I have got over the, if there’s free alcohol bag it before it runs out, school of thought.

I spoke to Reg, Fay’s husband who was really cool. Faye intimidates the hell out of me, not for any personal reasons, she’s petite and lovely but I didn’t know whether or not I should curtsey when I met her or whether or not I should call her ma’am. Anyway she was really nice but I didn’t get much chance to chat to her other than try to bore her with a convoluted theory equating molecular gastronomy to techno music pushing boundaries, it’s a crap argument too.

So we went on to Scott’s for the fish course, I had baked spider crab which was beautiful, and lightly spiced, those that opted for the oysters got 12, of 4 different varieties, which I managed to pinch some of too.

Main course at The Greenhouse I had sea bass, which was the fattest chunk of sea bass I’d ever seen. By this time I was quite drunk and talking rubbish to a woman who works for a charity and so was essentially a decent member of society, anyway the food was fantastic.

Dessert was at Locanda Locatelli and was incredibly generous with dessert after dessert coming, including and ice cream tray which must have had at least 15 different ice creams including some of the most beautiful I’ve ever tasted in my life and I’ve eaten lots of ice cream.

Also Giorgio Locatelli is a lot thinner than he looks on TV and has the proper stressed look about him of someone who’s been cooking in the kitchen all night.

Oh yeah and the Canadian PR woman was really cool too, I want to get her really drunk so she’d start slagging off some chefs but I didn’t get the chance I think she was too smart for that, anyway she was ace too, I think I’d like her to be my glamorous aunt or something.

And also, I’ve never really been to an event like this before and you get loads of goodie bags at the end with cheeses in them and books and pictures and I’m starting to understand why ligging is an enjoyable past time.

After drinking brandies with this really decent lad who worked in IT in the city and managing to annoy some Americans through me being an idiot finally I got home absolutely leathered to inform my wife that I think I had a crush on Giorgio Locatelli and that I wanted Fay to adopt me.

Also Giorgio Locatelli is a lot thinner than he looks on TV and has the proper stressed look about him of someone who’s been cooking in the kitchen all night.

He always looks like that. I happened to walk past him in the street the other day. He was chatting to someone in front of Incognico at around 1.00pm and he looked like he'd been in the kitchen all night even then.

Missed out on Gagnaire's canapes? Tsk tsk!

OK so where were you guys? It was a foodie competition, it was really difficult and I was figuring one of you guys would have been there.

So the deal was you had to answer 8 questions in the Evening Standard, a few that they tried to google proof so only foodies would win, then with a tie breaker of I should come along because….. to get the winners.

Anyway so none of you guys were there, I was really hoping there would be some egullet people among the 10 winners but it was an assortment of foodies and people who are good at winning competitions.

The deal was 4 courses at 4 different restaurants. Starting with canapés at Sketch, fish course at Scotts, main course at the Greenhouse then desert at Locanda Locatelli.

I have to say it was great. I can’t tell you about the canapés at Sketch as I didn’t really eat them, I was really nervous, room full of ten strangers that I was supposed to make conversation with, it felt a bit like a singles night, so I just necked as much champagne as I could which helped me stay there. I’m not so long out of university that I have got over the, if there’s free alcohol bag it before it runs out, school of thought.

I spoke to Reg, Fay’s husband who was really cool. Faye intimidates the hell out of me, not for any personal reasons, she’s petite and lovely but I didn’t know whether or not I should curtsey when I met her or whether or not I should call her ma’am. Anyway she was really nice but I didn’t get much chance to chat to her other than try to bore her with a convoluted theory equating molecular gastronomy to techno music pushing boundaries, it’s a crap argument too.

So we went on to Scott’s for the fish course, I had baked spider crab which was beautiful, and lightly spiced, those that opted for the oysters got 12, of 4 different varieties, which I managed to pinch some of too.

Main course at The Greenhouse I had sea bass, which was the fattest chunk of sea bass I’d ever seen. By this time I was quite drunk and talking rubbish to a woman who works for a charity and so was essentially a decent member of society, anyway the food was fantastic.

Dessert was at Locanda Locatelli and was incredibly generous with dessert after dessert coming, including and ice cream tray which must have had at least 15 different ice creams including some of the most beautiful I’ve ever tasted in my life and I’ve eaten lots of ice cream.

Oh yeah and the Canadian PR woman was really cool too, I want to get her really drunk so she’d start slagging off some chefs but I didn’t get the chance I think she was too smart for that, anyway she was ace too, I think I’d like her to be my glamorous aunt or something.

And also, I’ve never really been to an event like this before and you get loads of goodie bags at the end with cheeses in them and books and pictures and I’m starting to understand why ligging is an enjoyable past time.

After drinking brandies with this really decent lad who worked in IT in the city and managing to annoy some Americans through me being an idiot finally I got home absolutely leathered to inform my wife that I think I had a crush on Giorgio Locatelli and that I wanted Fay to adopt me.

What a cool evening and told like VW ad. Well done.

Great review Jamsie, have you or the paper got any photos to share?

Paul

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Great review Jamsie, have you or the paper got any photos to share?

Paul

There was a write up in the standard by simon davis but i can't find it online, and Jessia has done a write up with photos (google Gourmet Gallop and it's the first listed) but am aftraid i didn't take take any.

• 11 months later...