• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want REAL cream

Kim Shook

I am serving the Blissful Glutton's Peach Cherry Crisp this weekend and I know that it would be utterly crazy good with real, thick, yellow cream on it. Unfortunately, this is not something that I have any access to. Is there any substitute for it? I distantly remember reading somewhere that cold, but melted French Vanilla ice cream worked. :blink: Can this possibly be right?

Any better ideas??? Maybe clotted cream? I can get that in a jar.

Help!! Ta, Kim

I would use full-fat evaporated milk, but if I could get it, I'd use some Nestle/Carnation thick cream--the kind in a can. (Looks like this) You can often find it at Filipino or Mexican/South American grocery stores. (or is that what you meant by "thick, yellow cream"?) That stuff is outrageously good on everything sweet.

I am serving the Blissful Glutton's Peach Cherry Crisp this weekend and I know that it would be utterly crazy good with real, thick, yellow cream on it.  Unfortunately, this is not something that I have any access to.  Is there any substitute for it?  I distantly remember reading somewhere that cold, but melted French Vanilla ice cream worked.  :blink:  Can this possibly be right? 

Any better ideas???  Maybe clotted cream?  I can get that in a jar.

Help!!  Ta, Kim

Well depending on the ice cream fat content it can be melted then mounted to a parfait-like consistency.

I did it once with an "home made" ice cream and it worked, then I tried with some industrial ice cream and the result was a mess, probably due to vegetable fat and additives such as guar gum.

Canned cream doesnt taste like fresh cream. Heavy whipping cream might be a better sub.

You could make your own clotted cream. Its slow but requires little attention, per the various recipes I've looked at.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I don't know if it's available in VA but the Mexican Crema that is in the dairy case near the cheese would work well. It's thick and rich but not as thick and tangy as sour cream.