• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

iso chocolate cake recipe

cakewench

alright, I'm looking for a chocolate cake recipe from a thread we had here a couple of years ago. It was the result of a some of compilation-contest thread where many members tried several recipes and there was a final decision as to which recipe was the best.

It's an extremely rich cake with coffee in it.

Yes, I have tried to search recipe gullet but strangely enough, I can't seem to find it there. I'm going through pages of results of a forum search on 'chocolate cake' but I think this is going to take a long time, and I'm on my father's dialup connection. *yawn* I have the recipe written down back home, but I don't have access to it here, and I'd like to be able to make it for my friend's wedding shower on Saturday!

Any help here would be appreciated! :smile:

Is this the discussion you were looking for?

"Finding the best Chocolate Cake recipe, do you want to participate?"

All of the "Finding the best..." discussions used to be pinned to the top of the Baking & Pastry forum. I guess since the site overhaul there hasn't been time to dedicate to re-pinning them...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

That is the one. I remember taking part in the testing. The original cake that Wendy posted is a Scott Wooley (spelling?) creation and one that I still use. It has a very deep and intensely chocolate flavor. Especially with a chocolate frosting. Just last week I made the cake again and frosted it with a caramel praline butter cream on the outside and white chocolate whipped moose in between layers.

Fred Rowe

Hey Fred,

I've been wanting to make this cake for a long time now. Thanks for reminding me about it. Have you tried it with both natural and Dutched cocoa powders?

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I remeber from the thread and the ones I tryed , one of the best was the sour cream chocolate cake .It was the better in taste texture and everything.the receipe .. see if I can find it :-P

Vanessa

I remeber from the thread and the ones I tryed , one of the best was the sour cream chocolate cake .It was the better in taste texture and everything.the receipe .. see if I can find it :-P

That's the one I recommended - I love it! It's the Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake from Cook's Illustrated.

Hi Merstar. I have only done the Scott Wooley chocolate cake and use natural cocoa powder but I do add instant espresso powder to the hot water. I haven't done the bundt cake because I usually do layered cakes meaning 4 to 6 layers. LoL Talk about a tall cake.

Fred Rowe

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info. By the way, some people have done the Bundt cake in two 9" rounds with good results.

Edited by merstar (log)

Desiderio,

That is such a beautiful cake!!!

You know, I have never used a bundt pan either. I always make this in a 10" springform. Very risky, I know, but it's always worked out fine.

Edited by merstar (log)

It was an extremely busy weekend, so I didn't have time to reply when I should have, but thanks so much for the responses here about that old thread! When I am home, I use the recipe (the Gourmet one listed earlier) as my old standby for a rich chocolate cake. I just didn't have access to it where I am at the moment, and really didn't want to settle for something I hadn't made before.

Thanks again! :wub: